Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
09-03-2015, 09:31
Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
Installing Minimwatch on my Mac requires Java Runtime 7 or later. Running Photoshop CS5 (and certain other products in Adobe's Creative Suite) requires that Apple's version of Java, which they stopped developing at version 6, be installed. So I don't appear to be able to run both Minimwatch and CS5 on my one computer.

Can I have two versions of Java installed and point Minimwatch to the later one? I use CS5 on a daily basis. I probably only need to run Minimwatch when I want to update my music index, which is not that often.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 11:25
RE: Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
(09-03-2015 09:31)qblack Wrote:  Installing Minimwatch on my Mac requires Java Runtime 7 or later. Running Photoshop CS5 (and certain other products in Adobe's Creative Suite) requires that Apple's version of Java, which they stopped developing at version 6, be installed. So I don't appear to be able to run both Minimwatch and CS5 on my one computer.

Can I have two versions of Java installed and point Minimwatch to the later one? I use CS5 on a daily basis. I probably only need to run Minimwatch when I want to update my music index, which is not that often.

You can have both versions of Java installed at the same time and this should "just work" with no need to point MinimWatch or Photoshop at any specific version.
09-03-2015, 12:44
Thanks, Simon. Actually, I discovered this myself just after my post by renaming the version 6 plug-in (alias) that the Apple installation puts into Library/Internet Plug-Ins and then installing the Oracle version 8 plug-in alongside. Indeed, I was surprised it did "just work." Just like Macs of yore…

Thanks for a great product and support!
09-03-2015, 12:46
(09-03-2015 12:44)qblack Wrote:  Thanks, Simon. Actually, I discovered this myself just after my post by renaming the version 6 plug-in (alias) that the Apple installation puts into Library/Internet Plug-Ins and then installing the Oracle version 8 plug-in alongside. Indeed, I was surprised it did "just work." Just like Macs of yore…

Thanks for a great product and support!

Thanks for confirming this. I think it would also work without renaming the plug-in.
09-03-2015, 12:57
The Oracle install program installs JavaAppletPlugin.plugin into /Library/Internet Plug-Ins as a package. So what happened when I installed Oracle's version 8 last week was the overwriting of Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias in the same location. To co-exist in the one folder, one must be renamed. And still it just works!
09-03-2015, 14:03
(09-03-2015 12:57)qblack Wrote:  The Oracle install program installs JavaAppletPlugin.plugin into /Library/Internet Plug-Ins as a package. So what happened when I installed Oracle's version 8 last week was the overwriting of Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias in the same location. To co-exist in the one folder, one must be renamed. And still it just works!

This probably means that PhotoShop is using Java 6 but isn't using Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias. If so, it would be OK to install Oracle Java without renaming Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias first.
10-03-2015, 00:32
Got it! I confirm that both PS and Minimwatch work with Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias deleted.

As I now understand it, the Apple version of Java lives in /System/Library/Java and the Oracle version in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (as JavaAppletPlugin.plugin). I'm sure I didn't manually delete the Apple installation last week when I installed Minimwatch (I don't usually go poking around in /System/Library), yet Adobe's products were almost all crippled by installing Oracle's updated Java (at least when I first did it). It took me almost a day to make the connection, as it had been so long since that weird Apple-originating dialog informed me years ago that Photoshop, etc., "needed" Java. I wonder if some warning and help is needed for other users of this aging Adobe product who also want to run Minimwatch? It was not obvious to me that I could have two versions installed so easily on the one machine, yet this is what some of us clearly need.

Again, great support - thanks!
10-03-2015, 09:45
(10-03-2015 00:32)qblack Wrote:  Got it! I confirm that both PS and Minimwatch work with Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias deleted.

As I now understand it, the Apple version of Java lives in /System/Library/Java and the Oracle version in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (as JavaAppletPlugin.plugin). I'm sure I didn't manually delete the Apple installation last week when I installed Minimwatch (I don't usually go poking around in /System/Library), yet Adobe's products were almost all crippled by installing Oracle's updated Java (at least when I first did it). It took me almost a day to make the connection, as it had been so long since that weird Apple-originating dialog informed me years ago that Photoshop, etc., "needed" Java. I wonder if some warning and help is needed for other users of this aging Adobe product who also want to run Minimwatch? It was not obvious to me that I could have two versions installed so easily on the one machine, yet this is what some of us clearly need.

I'm surprised that the Adobe products were crippled by instaliing Oracle Java. Perhaps some "default Java version" setting was somehow changed when you first did this. Did you need to reinstall Apple Java to get the Adobe products working again?
14-03-2015, 13:30
(10-03-2015 09:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 00:32)qblack Wrote:  Got it! I confirm that both PS and Minimwatch work with Apple's JavaAppletPlugin.plugin alias deleted.

I'm surprised that the Adobe products were crippled by instaliing Oracle Java. Perhaps some "default Java version" setting was somehow changed when you first did this. Did you need to reinstall Apple Java to get the Adobe products working again?

That's right: I installed Apple's Java and could run all Adobe products as normal again. In the past I have noticed an Apple-generated dialog advising that Java was required before Photoshop/Illustrator, etc. could launch. After I installed the Oracle Java, I could not launch Adobe products but there was also no warning, as in former days. It was an entry in the Console (can't remember what now) that made me look to Java and reminded me of the old connection. By the way, Oracle's website does instruct one to uninstall old versions of Java before installing new, which is what I did.
14-03-2015, 13:49
(14-03-2015 13:30)qblack Wrote:  That's right: I installed Apple's Java and could run all Adobe products as normal again. In the past I have noticed an Apple-generated dialog advising that Java was required before Photoshop/Illustrator, etc. could launch. After I installed the Oracle Java, I could not launch Adobe products but there was also no warning, as in former days. It was an entry in the Console (can't remember what now) that made me look to Java and reminded me of the old connection. By the way, Oracle's website does instruct one to uninstall old versions of Java before installing new, which is what I did.

I rechecked the Oracle install page for Java on Mac and I didn't see anything there about needing to uninstall Apple Java first. The situation regarding coexistence of Apple Java and Oracle Java seems somewhat confused. In any case, I'm pleased you've found a way to make it work.