Poll: How many network renderers have you used?
None
3 or more
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User review of Auralic Aries
07-03-2015, 04:48 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 04:50 by Mike48.)
Rainbow User review of Auralic Aries
I promised a review of the Auralic Aries some time ago. It's attached as a PDF file. Capsule: it works well with MinimServer, and I think it can provide excellent sound.

Mike

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Aries Review.pdf (Size: 199.51 KB / Downloads: 7403)

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 09:55
RE: User review of Auralic Aries
(07-03-2015 04:48)Mike48 Wrote:  I promised a review of the Auralic Aries some time ago. It's attached as a PDF file. Capsule: it works well with MinimServer, and I think it can provide excellent sound.

Mike

Thanks for posting this review. It is well written and very interesting.

One small question: you mentioned using BubbleUPnP in OpenHome mode. Was this BubbleUPnP or its "sister" application BubbleDS?
07-03-2015, 12:57 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 17:51 by bubbleguuum.)
(07-03-2015 09:55)simoncn Wrote:  One small question: you mentioned using BubbleUPnP in OpenHome mode. Was this BubbleUPnP or its "sister" application BubbleDS?

BubbleUPnP supports controlling OpenHome renderers since some time, in particular those (but not only) created with BubbleUPnP Server backed by any regular UPnP AV renderer. Other implementations also work, whether hardware (such as the Aries) or purely software (upmpd and others)
BubbleUPnP deliberately excludes Linn DS as OH renderers though. This is to avoid confusion with BubbleDS which is much better to control a Linn DS (simplified interface for just audio, removed irrelevant settings, Linn DS specific features not found in most other OH implementation such as radio and songcast). BubbleDS can also control any OH implementation besides Linn's so that's probably the best solution for controlling only OH renderers.
07-03-2015, 17:16
(07-03-2015 12:57)bubbleguuum Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 09:55)simoncn Wrote:  One small question: you mentioned using BubbleUPnP in OpenHome mode. Was this BubbleUPnP or its "sister" application BubbleDS?

BubbleUPnP supports controlling OpenHome renderers since some time, in particular those (but not only) created with BubbleUPnP Server backed by any regular UPnP AV renderer. Other implementations also work, whether hardware (such as the Aries) or purely software (upmpd and others)
BubbleUPnP deliberatly excludes Linn DS as OH renderers though. This is to avoid confusion with BubbleDS which is much better to control a Linn DS (simplified interface for just audio, removed irrelevant settings, Linn DS specific features not found in most other OH implementation such as radio and songcast). BubbleDS can also control any OH implementation besides Linn's so that's probably the best solution for controlling only OH renderers.

As far as I can tell, BubbleUPnP uses the UPnP AV renderer in my Linn DS and doesn't use its OpenHome interface to load a playlist into the renderer. I tested this by setting up a playlist for the Linn DS using BubbleUPnP and powering off my Android tablet part way through a track. The track finished but the next track wasn't played.
07-03-2015, 17:43
(07-03-2015 09:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 04:48)Mike48 Wrote:  I promised a review of the Auralic Aries some time ago. It's attached as a PDF file. Capsule: it works well with MinimServer, and I think it can provide excellent sound.

Mike

Thanks for posting this review. It is well written and very interesting.

One small question: you mentioned using BubbleUPnP in OpenHome mode. Was this BubbleUPnP or its "sister" application BubbleDS?

I am using BubbleUPnP. When I first got the Aries, my experiments included BubbleDS, but (if I remember right) that didn't recognize the Aries.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
07-03-2015, 17:52
(07-03-2015 17:16)simoncn Wrote:  As far as I can tell, BubbleUPnP uses the UPnP AV renderer in my Linn DS and doesn't use its OpenHome interface to load a playlist into the renderer. I tested this by setting up a playlist for the Linn DS using BubbleUPnP and powering off my Android tablet part way through a track. The track finished but the next track wasn't played.

Re-read my post, the answer to this question is inside with a (now) bold hint.
07-03-2015, 17:53
(07-03-2015 17:43)Mike48 Wrote:  I am using BubbleUPnP. When I first got the Aries, my experiments included BubbleDS, but (if I remember right) that didn't recognize the Aries.

BubbleDS would probably work with the Aries now. At some point here was an issue with the Aries but it has been fixed.
07-03-2015, 18:06
(07-03-2015 17:52)bubbleguuum Wrote:  Re-read my post, the answer to this question is inside with a (now) bold hint.

Apologies for overlooking this. As I don't use any other OpenHome renderers, I won't be able to experience this feature of BubbleUPnP. Sad

I don't use any of the Linn-specific features that you mentioned but I do switch between different renderers frequently and I would love to be able to use the same control point for all my renderers.
26-03-2015, 07:40
(07-03-2015 17:53)bubbleguuum Wrote:  BubbleDS would probably work with the Aries now. At some point here was an issue with the Aries but it has been fixed.

Are you considering supporting Aries features that are similar to Linn features? By that, I mean Songcast, Tidal, Internet radio services, and things like that?

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
24-04-2015, 02:29
RE: User review of Auralic Aries (and Tidal)
This is an update to my review of the Auralic Aries, to mention that recent versions of BubbleUPnP do support Tidal (and some similar products) through the Aries. I have been listening to various recordings from the Tidal library that way with pleasure.

Thanks and appreciation to the author of BubbleUPnP!

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA