Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIFF files on Windows or MAC
26-02-2015, 19:20
AIFF files on Windows or MAC
I have been a fan of the JPlay audio engine since it's inception and use in the JRiver MC program. However that time is past and I was excited to see JPlay version 6 now coming on line in Beta 3. I am in the process of transitioning to an IMac but still use a Windows machine for ripping.

When checking about trying out the JPlay beta version they indicated the AIFF encoding/decoding process is not supported by your software. If this is the fact then I guess I am stuck with the JRiver MC program. It has taken me four years to rip and extensive collection of classical music and at 70 years of age there is no more time to rip again the collection.

Thus I am posting to see if in fact it is true that your Minimserver does not support encoding/decoding of AIFF files.

Thanks so much and good luck with your endeavor! Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2015, 00:12
RE: AIFF files on Windows or MAC
(26-02-2015 19:20)Richard K. Horton Wrote:  I have been a fan of the JPlay audio engine since it's inception and use in the JRiver MC program. However that time is past and I was excited to see JPlay version 6 now coming on line in Beta 3. I am in the process of transitioning to an IMac but still use a Windows machine for ripping.

When checking about trying out the JPlay beta version they indicated the AIFF encoding/decoding process is not supported by your software. If this is the fact then I guess I am stuck with the JRiver MC program. It has taken me four years to rip and extensive collection of classical music and at 70 years of age there is no more time to rip again the collection.

Thus I am posting to see if in fact it is true that your Minimserver does not support encoding/decoding of AIFF files.

MinimServer does support reading and playing AIFF files. The issue with JPLAY is that JPLAYStreamer supports WAV streams only and isn't able to decode other formats such as AIFF. This is a limitation of JPLAYStreamer rather than a limitation of MinimServer.

As a workaround for this limitation of JPLAYStreamer to WAV streams only, the JPLAY developers are recommending using MinimServer transcoding to convert all other formats to WAV. MinimServer can do this for some formats (such as FLAC, MP3 and M4A) but not for AIFF.

I have contacted the JPLAY developers about this issue suggesting that they implement AIFF support in addition to WAV support. Almost all other players have AIFF support and I was surprised to discover that this isn't supported by JPLAYStreamer.
27-02-2015, 03:10
I am in the same situation and would like to see MinimServer do the conversion from aiff to wav. Given that MinimServer does all these other conversions, including from acc why would you expect jplaystreamer to do this and not MinimServer? Seems more logical for all transcoding to be done in MinimServer? Why do you see this as a limitation of Jplaystreamer rather than MinimServer?

quote='simoncn' pid='14337' dateline='1424992361']
(26-02-2015 19:20)Richard K. Horton Wrote:  I have been a fan of the JPlay audio engine since it's inception and use in the JRiver MC program. However that time is past and I was excited to see JPlay version 6 now coming on line in Beta 3. I am in the process of transitioning to an IMac but still use a Windows machine for ripping.

MinimServer does support reading and playing AIFF files. The issue with JPLAY is that JPLAYStreamer supports WAV streams only and isn't able to decode other formats such as AIFF. This is a limitation of JPLAYStreamer rather than a limitation of MinimServer.

As a workaround for this limitation of JPLAYStreamer to WAV streams only, the JPLAY developers are recommending using MinimServer transcoding to convert all other formats to WAV. MinimServer can do this for some formats (such as FLAC, MP3 and M4A) but not for AIFF.

I have contacted the JPLAY developers about this issue suggesting that they implement AIFF support in addition to WAV support. Almost all other players have AIFF support and I was surprised to discover that this isn't supported by JPLAYStreamer.
[/quote]
27-02-2015, 07:55 (This post was last modified: 27-02-2015 08:28 by simoncn.)
(27-02-2015 03:10)Philr Wrote:  I am in the same situation and would like to see MinimServer do the conversion from aiff to wav. Given that MinimServer does all these other conversions, including from acc why would you expect jplaystreamer to do this and not MinimServer? Seems more logical for all transcoding to be done in MinimServer? Why do you see this as a limitation of Jplaystreamer rather than MinimServer?

All the other input formats for MinimServer transcoding are compressed formats. AIFF is an uncompressed format (like WAV). Transcoding in the server incurs overhead and requires special treatment for seeking within the file. For an uncompressed format, it is a better technical approach for the player to handle the format directly. Given that the format is uncompressed, this should not be difficult to do.
27-02-2015, 13:19
(27-02-2015 07:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-02-2015 03:10)Philr Wrote:  I am in the same situation and would like to see MinimServer do the conversion from aiff to wav. Given that MinimServer does all these other conversions, including from acc why would you expect jplaystreamer to do this and not MinimServer? Seems more logical for all transcoding to be done in MinimServer? Why do you see this as a limitation of Jplaystreamer rather than MinimServer?

All the other input formats for MinimServer transcoding are compressed formats. AIFF is an uncompressed format (like WAV). Transcoding in the server incurs overhead and requires special treatment for seeking within the file. For an uncompressed format, it is a better technical approach for the player to handle the format directly. Given that the format is uncompressed, this should not be difficult to do.

Thanks for the response. I can see this one both ways. I trust you and the JPlay guys can find the best solution for us.