Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimStreamer on Raspberry Pi dropout
25-02-2015, 23:57 (This post was last modified: 25-02-2015 23:58 by simoncn.)
RE: MinimStreamer on Raspberry Pi dropout
(25-02-2015 23:21)jack_c85 Wrote:  Just dropped out again... this is with the delayHLS=10 setting. Shall I increase this?

I'm fairly sure increasing the delay won't prevent the dropouts. It seems the Sonos is playing the stream faster than the BBC can send it.

The log is wrapping at 500 KB, so I'm not seeing what happens when the stream starts playing. Please capture the log from the first 10 minutes of playing (with delayHLS=10). If you could attach these logs as file attachments instead of pasting them as inline text (remember to click the Add Attachment button), that would be easier for me to handle.

Thanks very much for all your help with this!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2015, 00:04
(25-02-2015 23:57)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 23:21)jack_c85 Wrote:  Just dropped out again... this is with the delayHLS=10 setting. Shall I increase this?

I'm fairly sure increasing the delay won't prevent the dropouts. It seems the Sonos is playing the stream faster than the BBC can send it.

The log is wrapping at 500 KB, so I'm not seeing what happens when the stream starts playing. Please capture the log from the first 10 minutes of playing (with delayHLS=10). If you could attach these logs as file attachments instead of pasting them as inline text (remember to click the Add Attachment button), that would be easier for me to handle.

Sure, will do that for you now.

No problem at all, it's the least I can do... such a great solution even with the dropouts so if we can get rid of this it'll be amazing!
26-02-2015, 00:21
(26-02-2015 00:04)jack_c85 Wrote:  
(25-02-2015 23:57)simoncn Wrote:  

Sure, will do that for you now.

No problem at all, it's the least I can do... such a great solution even with the dropouts so if we can get rid of this it'll be amazing!

Please find attached around 10 minutes worth of playback on Sonos started and stopped by me and I think there is a dropout instances in the middle too. I hope that's what you wanted?

Attached File(s)
.txt  Log File 10mins 10sec delay.txt (Size: 115.69 KB / Downloads: 2)
26-02-2015, 09:47
(26-02-2015 00:21)jack_c85 Wrote:  Please find attached around 10 minutes worth of playback on Sonos started and stopped by me and I think there is a dropout instances in the middle too. I hope that's what you wanted?

Thanks very much! This is exactly what I wanted. From this evidence, the issue seems to be related to how the Sonos system buffers the stream it is playing. I suspect there are multiple stages of buffering involved.

Please describe the Sonos setup that you used to create this log. Which Sonos unit has a wired connection to the router? Is this unit playing the music or is the music being sent wirelessly to one or more other units for playing?
26-02-2015, 10:06
(26-02-2015 09:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 00:21)jack_c85 Wrote:  Please find attached around 10 minutes worth of playback on Sonos started and stopped by me and I think there is a dropout instances in the middle too. I hope that's what you wanted?

Thanks very much! This is exactly what I wanted. From this evidence, the issue seems to be related to how the Sonos system buffers the stream it is playing. I suspect there are multiple stages of buffering involved.

Please describe the Sonos setup that you used to create this log. Which Sonos unit has a wired connection to the router? Is this unit playing the music or is the music being sent wirelessly to one or more other units for playing?

Ok... my Sonos setup consists of 3 Play 1's, a CONNECT:AMP an a CONNECT. The system is hosted by one of the Play 1's which is connected directly to my router.

In the example I sent you I was streaming to one of the other Play 1's wirelessly over SonosNet. Is that all the information you wanted? I can go into more detail and give IP addresses if needed?
26-02-2015, 10:28
(26-02-2015 10:06)jack_c85 Wrote:  Ok... my Sonos setup consists of 3 Play 1's, a CONNECT:AMP an a CONNECT. The system is hosted by one of the Play 1's which is connected directly to my router.

In the example I sent you I was streaming to one of the other Play 1's wirelessly over SonosNet. Is that all the information you wanted? I can go into more detail and give IP addresses if needed?

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you produce another "first 10 minutes" log with just the Play:1 that's connected to the router playing the music and everything else powered off?
26-02-2015, 10:56
(26-02-2015 10:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 10:06)jack_c85 Wrote:  Ok... my Sonos setup consists of 3 Play 1's, a CONNECT:AMP an a CONNECT. The system is hosted by one of the Play 1's which is connected directly to my router.

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you produce another "first 10 minutes" log with just the Play:1 that's connected to the router playing the music and everything else powered off?

Here you go Simon... just over 10 minutes of streaming, it dropped out as I ended it so not sure what that shows you... hopefully it's still ok? This is main host of Sonos system only, all other players switched off.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Log File 10mins 10sec delay Host Sonos.txt (Size: 150.16 KB / Downloads: 1)
26-02-2015, 11:34
(26-02-2015 10:56)jack_c85 Wrote:  Here you go Simon... just over 10 minutes of streaming, it dropped out as I ended it so not sure what that shows you... hopefully it's still ok? This is main host of Sonos system only, all other players switched off.

Thanks very much! I see a dropout after about 5 minutes and another after about 4 minutes. Everything else is similar to the previous log.

For further debugging, I will need to set this up myself. I have therefore ordered a PLAY:1 from Sonos. I'll post back here when I have any more news. Thanks again for all your help!
26-02-2015, 11:40
(26-02-2015 11:34)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 10:56)jack_c85 Wrote:  Here you go Simon... just over 10 minutes of streaming, it dropped out as I ended it so not sure what that shows you... hopefully it's still ok? This is main host of Sonos system only, all other players switched off.

Thanks very much! I see a dropout after about 5 minutes and another after about 4 minutes. Everything else is similar to the previous log.

For further debugging, I will need to set this up myself. I have therefore ordered a PLAY:1 from Sonos. I'll post back here when I have any more news. Thanks again for all your help!

Wow! Simon, you really are fantastic... please let me know if you want me to test anything on more than one Sonos device, I'd be more than happy to assist further.
01-03-2015, 22:03
Just to say that I am also experiencing occasional dropouts on my Sonos setup, with minimserver running on my ReadyNAS Duo v2. Like the other reports in this thread, they happen intermittently, at most 3 or 4 times an hour, with each hiccup lasting just a few seconds - typically around 5s.

Again like previously reported, it happens when I am playing only a single stream from minimstreamer, albeit that that stream is usually being shared within Sonos with other grouped players.

If you need any more diagnostics, or another tester, I'll be happy to help.

(And despite the occasional glitch, Simon, your software has been a godsend!