Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wav tag parsing?
19-02-2015, 22:39
Lightbulb Wav tag parsing?
Hi, I'm a new user of minimserver and another that has their music library ripped as .wav files which are untagged.

While my music files are untagged, they are stored in a consistent directory structure that provides information which enables me to navigate using folder view, for example:
\Albums\Alice In Chains\1990\Facelift\02 Man in the Box.wav
and for various albums:
\Albums\Various\2011\100 Hits - The New Romantics (Disc 1)\17 A Flock of Seagulls - I ran

I read the user manual about the tag update file with interest, as I know that in my case tag metadata could be parsed from the file name. The concept of configuring a tag update is great, and could be used for the situation I describe if there was additional support for functions like string matching and substring extraction (perhaps using regexp or some other pattern matching). I don't think many additional functions would be needed, but specifying a "match sting" in a simple way (for people who can't write regexps) may be in order.

Is this kind of functionality something you have considered or would be willing to consider? I know it would help me out and perhaps others as well, and may be useful even for tagged files in some instances. If it was something you might do then I would be willing to contribute my time to analysis and testing of this functionality (I could even develop prototype java code, if you wanted that).

Anyhow, the server is running great so far on my Synology NAS. Thanks for your work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 23:36
RE: Wav tag parsing?
(19-02-2015 22:39)JamesB_nz Wrote:  Hi, I'm a new user of minimserver and another that has their music library ripped as .wav files which are untagged.

While my music files are untagged, they are stored in a consistent directory structure that provides information which enables me to navigate using folder view, for example:
\Albums\Alice In Chains\1990\Facelift\02 Man in the Box.wav
and for various albums:
\Albums\Various\2011\100 Hits - The New Romantics (Disc 1)\17 A Flock of Seagulls - I ran

I read the user manual about the tag update file with interest, as I know that in my case tag metadata could be parsed from the file name. The concept of configuring a tag update is great, and could be used for the situation I describe if there was additional support for functions like string matching and substring extraction (perhaps using regexp or some other pattern matching). I don't think many additional functions would be needed, but specifying a "match sting" in a simple way (for people who can't write regexps) may be in order.

Is this kind of functionality something you have considered or would be willing to consider? I know it would help me out and perhaps others as well, and may be useful even for tagged files in some instances. If it was something you might do then I would be willing to contribute my time to analysis and testing of this functionality (I could even develop prototype java code, if you wanted that).

Anyhow, the server is running great so far on my Synology NAS. Thanks for your work.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I don't have any plans to enhance the tag update facility in the way you are describing.

To get the best from MinimServer, you would need to have tags in your files. MinimServer can work with untagged files but you will be very limited in what you can do.
21-02-2015, 23:36
RE: Wav tag parsing?
OK, that's a shame for me, but no problem. I was hoping to have the best of both worlds Wink