Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't enable MinimServer on QNAP TS-109
14-02-2015, 13:40
Can't enable MinimServer on QNAP TS-109
Before I went away for a fortnight recently, MinimServer was working brilliantly on my old QNAP TS-109. While away from home we always switch everything off to avoid thunderstorm damage. I powered down the QNAP using the web admin page. When I returned a couple of days ago and powered up the QNAP, I discovered MinimServer was no longer running. When I log into the QPKG admin page the MinimServer icon is greyed out and the application status is "disabled". Every time I try to enable it, it only turns green/"enabled" on the second attempt, and then only stays thus for a few moments, before reverting. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (v0.8.3-arm.qpkg) but get exactly the same behaviour. Rebooting the QNAP has also not helped. There is an error mesage in the QNAP log: "MinimServer start error: Error: dl failure on line 864"
An added complication is that my main desktop (Ubuntu) pc is also down at the moment with some serious problems so I'm unable to use MInimWatch. I'm currently using my partner's pc when it's free.
Any help would be much appreciated - I'm missing the music!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2015, 15:37
RE: Can't enable MinimServer on QNAP TS-109
(14-02-2015 13:40)nickc Wrote:  Before I went away for a fortnight recently, MinimServer was working brilliantly on my old QNAP TS-109. While away from home we always switch everything off to avoid thunderstorm damage. I powered down the QNAP using the web admin page. When I returned a couple of days ago and powered up the QNAP, I discovered MinimServer was no longer running. When I log into the QPKG admin page the MinimServer icon is greyed out and the application status is "disabled". Every time I try to enable it, it only turns green/"enabled" on the second attempt, and then only stays thus for a few moments, before reverting. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (v0.8.3-arm.qpkg) but get exactly the same behaviour. Rebooting the QNAP has also not helped. There is an error mesage in the QNAP log: "MinimServer start error: Error: dl failure on line 864"
An added complication is that my main desktop (Ubuntu) pc is also down at the moment with some serious problems so I'm unable to use MInimWatch. I'm currently using my partner's pc when it's free.

Have you followed all the steps in this section? It is necessary to follow all these steps exactly as described.
14-02-2015, 17:03
(14-02-2015 15:37)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 13:40)nickc Wrote:  Before I went away for a fortnight recently, MinimServer was working brilliantly on my old QNAP TS-109. While away from home we always switch everything off to avoid thunderstorm damage. I powered down the QNAP using the web admin page. When I returned a couple of days ago and powered up the QNAP, I discovered MinimServer was no longer running. When I log into the QPKG admin page the MinimServer icon is greyed out and the application status is "disabled". Every time I try to enable it, it only turns green/"enabled" on the second attempt, and then only stays thus for a few moments, before reverting. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling (v0.8.3-arm.qpkg) but get exactly the same behaviour. Rebooting the QNAP has also not helped. There is an error mesage in the QNAP log: "MinimServer start error: Error: dl failure on line 864"

Have you followed all the steps in this section? It is necessary to follow all these steps exactly as described.

Thank you, Simon. I would have sworn that I did follow those instructions exactly when I reinstalled, but clearly not, as after trying again, now it's up and running as before. Thank you for your swift support.
27-06-2015, 06:59
Sad to report that this problem has recurred on returning home after a longish absence. I powered up the QNAP TS-109 on return and the following morning reinstalled my Raspberry Pi on the LAN in order to stream music, discovering at that point that MinimServer wasn't showing in the controller. Checking the QNAP I found the MinimServer icon was greyed out and each time I tried to enable it, it reverted to "Status: Disable". I've tried reinstalling it, following the instructions exactly, but it's made no difference this time. I have the same error message as before in the QNAP log: "MinimServer start error: Error: dl failure on line 864" The requisite versions of the NPTL and JRE_ARM packages are installed and enabled. The one difference this time is that I now have an old desktop pc on the network running MinimWatch, but this too is greyed out (its icon in the tray). Kindly advise how I should proceed in order to rectify this problem. Is it likely to recur every time I restart the QNAP following a power down?
27-06-2015, 10:09
(27-06-2015 06:59)nickc Wrote:  Sad to report that this problem has recurred on returning home after a longish absence. I powered up the QNAP TS-109 on return and the following morning reinstalled my Raspberry Pi on the LAN in order to stream music, discovering at that point that MinimServer wasn't showing in the controller. Checking the QNAP I found the MinimServer icon was greyed out and each time I tried to enable it, it reverted to "Status: Disable". I've tried reinstalling it, following the instructions exactly, but it's made no difference this time. I have the same error message as before in the QNAP log: "MinimServer start error: Error: dl failure on line 864" The requisite versions of the NPTL and JRE_ARM packages are installed and enabled. The one difference this time is that I now have an old desktop pc on the network running MinimWatch, but this too is greyed out (its icon in the tray). Kindly advise how I should proceed in order to rectify this problem. Is it likely to recur every time I restart the QNAP following a power down?

Please do the following:

1) Login to the QNAP using SSH

2) Enter the following command:
ls -l /tmp/minimserver-out*.log

3) The output should be something like the following:
Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    administ      1945 Jun 26 11:01 /tmp/minimserver-out-23687.log
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    administ       411 Jun  1 23:36 /tmp/minimserver-out-7286.log

4) For each file that is listed, enter the command:
cat /tmp/minimserver-out-nnnn.log
where nnnn corresponds to the output from step 3 (in the above example, nnnn would be 23687 and 7286)

5) Post the output from step 4 here. If there are a lot of these files and their contents all look the same, you only need to post one of them.

Many thanks!
27-06-2015, 10:57
Thanks for such a swift response - amazing!

There were several files. I didn't try every one, as the first few all gave the same error:

"[~] # cat /tmp/minimserver-out-10363.log
Error: dl failure on line 864
Error: failed /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM/jre/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so, because /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM/jre/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so: cannot handle TLS data"

So what's with line 864???
27-06-2015, 11:52
(27-06-2015 10:57)nickc Wrote:  Thanks for such a swift response - amazing!

There were several files. I didn't try every one, as the first few all gave the same error:

"[~] # cat /tmp/minimserver-out-10363.log
Error: dl failure on line 864
Error: failed /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM/jre/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so, because /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM/jre/lib/arm/client/libjvm.so: cannot handle TLS data"

So what's with line 864???

The important part of this message is "cannot handle TLS data". This suggests the problem is related to the NPTL package. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the NPTL package.
27-06-2015, 13:54
"The important part of this message is "cannot handle TLS data". This suggests the problem is related to the NPTL package. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the NPTL package."

That did it - thank you so much!

In future, would it be wise to disable the three relevant packages on the QNAP before powering down, or would that make no difference?
27-06-2015, 17:05
(27-06-2015 13:54)nickc Wrote:  "The important part of this message is "cannot handle TLS data". This suggests the problem is related to the NPTL package. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the NPTL package."

In future, would it be wise to disable the three relevant packages on the QNAP before powering down, or would that make no difference?

I'm please to hear this has solved the problem.

It shouldn't be necessary to disable these packages before powering down.

I don't know what has caused the problem, so I can't suggest any way to prevent it. At least you have a solution to use if it happens again.

The TS-109/209/409 are very old and slow their firmware doesn't support the current version of Java. The NPTL package is an attempt to work around the problems caused by the old firmware but the result isn't very satisfactory. It is likely that I will drop support for these models in the next major release of MinimServer.
30-06-2015, 09:07
(27-06-2015 17:05)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 13:54)nickc Wrote:  "The important part of this message is "cannot handle TLS data". This suggests the problem is related to the NPTL package. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the NPTL package."

I'm please to hear this has solved the problem.

It shouldn't be necessary to disable these packages before powering down.

I don't know what has caused the problem, so I can't suggest any way to prevent it. At least you have a solution to use if it happens again.

The TS-109/209/409 are very old and slow their firmware doesn't support the current version of Java. The NPTL package is an attempt to work around the problems caused by the old firmware but the result isn't very satisfactory. It is likely that I will drop support for these models in the next major release of MinimServer.

Thanks again. Yes, I appreciate that my TS-109 is a very old model and I completely understand that it's unrealistic for you to continue supporting it forever; nonetheless I'm naturally disappointed to learn this. I'm hugely grateful for the efforts you've made over the years to keep MS running on this ancient hardware! And the advance notice that you may not continue much longer is a spur to me to think seriously about upgrading.