Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC radio streams not working
04-03-2015, 23:08
RE: BBC radio streams not working
(04-03-2015 22:27)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 22:11)Pastim Wrote:  When I read the user guide it says "For a network stream whose original type is unspecified, the choice of output type is made by MinimStreamer (not the control point) when MinimServer opens the stream and discovers its type. By default, MinimStreamer chooses the first output type in the list. You can override this default choice by adding a ^ (caret) character after the output type that you want MinimStreamer to choose. For example, the transcoding combination aac:L16/wav24^ tells MinimStreamer to choose wav24 if it discovers that the network stream type is AAC."

Sorry, I'm must be being very thick but I cannot make any sense of this versus what you have told me, and I'm not good at using a setting I can't comprehend (not least because when I look at it in 6 months time I'll need to be able to understand it). The description states that MinimStreamer makes the choice, not the CP. You talk about short URLs, but I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Unfortunately it's not easy for me to know the result of a test because neither of my renderers tells me the type of stream it is receiving.

So I am clearly missing something fundamental.

Sorry.

The control point is choosing the first stream by default. This is what it is supposed to do unless it finds that the first stream is incompatible with the renderer.

MinimStreamer also chooses the first stream by default unless there is a caret marker for one of the streams. In this case, the caret is on the second stream, so MinimStreamer chooses the second stream when a URL of the form

http://x.x.x.x:9790/minimstreamer/*/XX

is used as an internet radio custom stream. This is the "short URL" that has been discussed previously on this thread.
I'll have to sleep on this. It is clearly obvious to you, but there must be something fundamental I am missing. Why is the CP making a choice, or Minimstreamer making a choice? The user guide says (I believe) that if the original source codec is unknown (and therefore being matched with * in the transcode setting) it's MinimStreamer making the choice, so why isn't it the same for both UPnP and Internet Radio?

When the source codec is known (by specifying ;aac) I can just about understand that the CP picks the 1st one (since the 'unknown' rule does not apply), but where it's Internet Radio there is no CP so MinimStreamer picks the default with the ^.

I'm pretty sure that some of my puzzlement is because you see something obvious in the difference between Internet Radio and UPnP that I don't, because I don't understand the technology. I tend to think that if the mechanisms really are that different it's always going to be hard for me to tease out what the transcode settings actually mean in every case when all are specified in one place but mean rather different things. I probably need a flow chart to work it out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC radio streams not working - Pastim - 04-03-2015 23:08