Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer slow to detect
01-02-2015, 23:56
MinimServer slow to detect
I am running MinimServer on a QNAP TS-431 (I am also running the Twonly server on the same QNAP as a control). The QNAP is has a Ethernet connection to an Asus router configured as a bridge. The bridge connects wirelessly to the main router (also Asus). The control point is Foobar on a wireless laptop.

My problem: MinimServer is slow to detect in Foobar. It takes ~15 min (several tries in the last few days) before MinimServer is visible in Foobar. All the while Minimwatch reports that MinimServer is running. In contrast, a Foobar Media Server running on a separate PC is immediately visible, and the Twonky Server, running on the same QNAP as MinimServer, is normally visible within one minute.

I understand that UPnP over wireless is sketchy (in fact it took me a few days playing with network settings to get to the point of detecting MinimServer reliably after the 15 minute wait). Is there anything that I can do to shorten the time before MinimServer appears in Foobar?

Thank you,
Dario
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 08:30
RE: MinimServer slow to detect
(01-02-2015 23:56)dsb17 Wrote:  I am running MinimServer on a QNAP TS-431 (I am also running the Twonly server on the same QNAP as a control). The QNAP is has a Ethernet connection to an Asus router configured as a bridge. The bridge connects wirelessly to the main router (also Asus). The control point is Foobar on a wireless laptop.

My problem: MinimServer is slow to detect in Foobar. It takes ~15 min (several tries in the last few days) before MinimServer is visible in Foobar. All the while Minimwatch reports that MinimServer is running. In contrast, a Foobar Media Server running on a separate PC is immediately visible, and the Twonky Server, running on the same QNAP as MinimServer, is normally visible within one minute.

I understand that UPnP over wireless is sketchy (in fact it took me a few days playing with network settings to get to the point of detecting MinimServer reliably after the 15 minute wait). Is there anything that I can do to shorten the time before MinimServer appears in Foobar?

Thank you,
Dario

Are you running a VPN server or client on the QNAP?
02-02-2015, 17:13
No I am not running VPN on the QNAP. I disabled almost all features unrelated to MinimServer. Out of my recollection, the only features I enabled are file sharing (Windows protocol), Twonky, and the QNAP built in DLNA server.
02-02-2015, 23:47
(02-02-2015 17:13)dsb17 Wrote:  No I am not running VPN on the QNAP. I disabled almost all features unrelated to MinimServer. Out of my recollection, the only features I enabled are file sharing (Windows protocol), Twonky, and the QNAP built in DLNA server.

It sounds like the issue is with the wireless connection between the router and the bridge. Does the foobar laptop connect to the router? If so, the router is probably not passing on multicast SSDP discovery M-SEARCH requests sent by the foobar laptop.

If the router has any settings related to multicast or IGMP snooping, you can try changing these to enable multicast and/or disable IGMP snooping.

The quicker discovery of Twonky is caused by Twonky sending SSDP discovery "alive" messages every 1 minute. The ohNet stack used by MinimServer sends these every 15 minutes. If M-SEARCH were working correctly, both Twonky and MinimServer would show up in a few seconds.
09-02-2015, 07:20 (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 07:21 by dsb17.)
I have done some investigating with Wireshark that confirm your diagnosis. I will describe my findings as reference for others who might run into similar problems. My configuration:

control point (PC) -- (wired) --> Asus router -- (wireless) --> Asus Media Bridge --(wired) --> MinimServer (QNAP) & Renderer (Oppo)

As a test, I also connected the QNAP with a wired connection to the Asus router, but that is an impractical long term configuration.

I have done packet capture by triggering M-SEARCH from my control point. Wireshark captured from the following network interfaces:
- control point
- Asus Router
- Asus Media Bridge

I can detect the M-SEARCH packet on the Router, and MinimServer (when using the wired connection to the router) responds within 3 seconds.

I cannot detect the M-SEARCH packet on the Media Bridge. MinimServer (with wireless connection) and the Oppo renderer don't respond.

This seems to isolate the problem to multicast forwarding on the bridge between the wired and wireless interfaces on the Router. It is interesting that the control point PC is able to receive M-SEARCH packets coming from the Oppo renderer (in the backward direction through the wireless connection). This suggests that there are setting that enable proper multicast forwarding on the Asus hardware; unfortunately most setting are hidden on the media bridge, so that I cannot see what they are.

I have enabled multicast forwarding on the router. I also enabled and disabled IGMP snooping on all wireless bands, with the same outcome.

I realize this is not a MinimServer issue. I will try ask for help on the Small Net Builders forum, but if you have any suggestions on how to proceed from here, I would greatly appreciate them. This is the bottom of my networking knowledge.
09-02-2015, 08:40
(09-02-2015 07:20)dsb17 Wrote:  I have enabled multicast forwarding on the router. I also enabled and disabled IGMP snooping on all wireless bands, with the same outcome.

I realize this is not a MinimServer issue. I will try ask for help on the Small Net Builders forum, but if you have any suggestions on how to proceed from here, I would greatly appreciate them. This is the bottom of my networking knowledge.

Have you tried disabling all IGMP snooping and enabling all multicast forwarding and then powering all your equipment off and on? If this doesn't solve the problem, I suggest you contact ASUS for advice.