Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album Art in Folder View - from newbie
24-01-2015, 12:47
RE: Album Art in Folder View - from newbie
(23-01-2015 23:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 09:15)Moverall Wrote:  Yes, I should have qualified my comment by saying that the ability to specify particular album art is a great benefit of this software, as although other providers did pre-populate the main menu view with album covers, they are not always the one you would want. I suppose the best solution would be to get the menu pro-populated, with the option of replacing it with an image of choice, which may or may not be an album cover.

I can make a small change that should help with this. At present, the folder art image is taken from files in the folder (not in subfolders). If there are no files in the folder, there is no folder art image. I can change this so that the folder art image is selected as follows:

1) Search the files in the folder looking for an art image (same as currently)

2) If no files with art images are found, look for the first direct subfolder that has an art image (based on its files and direct subfolders) and use that image

Would this be useful?

If this idea is going to be implemented,would the user have a choice by settings?
Although I do not use folder view that often, I have put all albums in a sub-folder just to avoid that I see any pictures in folder-view at all.
If I understand correctly, the result will be, that if a user has chosen to divide his collection in say for instance:folder "classic">sub-folder "orchestra" etc. and "other music">sub-folder "artist">sub-folder "album",pictures(album art) shown in folder view will be the first orchestra found in "classic" and the first "artist" in "other music"?
Or do misinterpreter this idea?

Best Regards,

Peter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 13:38
(24-01-2015 12:47)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  If this idea is going to be implemented,would the user have a choice by settings?
Although I do not use folder view that often, I have put all albums in a sub-folder just to avoid that I see any pictures in folder-view at all.
If I understand correctly, the result will be, that if a user has chosen to divide his collection in say for instance:folder "classic">sub-folder "orchestra" etc. and "other music">sub-folder "artist">sub-folder "album",pictures(album art) shown in folder view will be the first orchestra found in "classic" and the first "artist" in "other music"?
Or do misinterpreter this idea?

Best Regards,

Peter.

Your assumptions are correct.

I am not intending to add a new property to control this behaviour. Given the undesired effect in this case, it is probably best to leave things as they are currently and let the user choose which picture (if any) to assign to a folder that doesn't directly contain any files.
24-01-2015, 15:44
Hi Simon,

I am busy populating my album images, having cleared out the caches, so all seems to be well, thanks very much.

Regarding your idea of having the two options sounds a good one, as the user could still chose their own art by putting a jpeg in the folder if they did not like to one that would be found with the deeper search.

Being able to choose the artwork is a great feature as it means some classic covers can be used, rather than 'Best of..."
24-01-2015, 15:45
Hello

My library relies both on tags and folder structure. It means I have a high level set of folders (namely Renaissance, Classique, Jazz, opéras, 20th Century, Pop Folk Rock, World Music) each off them containing sub folders, each of them, in turn, containing folders with either music or subfolders. It means I have no music, and therefore no cover image at all until 3 levels below the root directory, i.e. 2 levels below the first level folders.

Interestingly, using Kinsky, an image is diplayed on each folder only when there is a cover image inside the folder, and so no image for 1st level and 2nd level folders, which is the expected behavior.

But using the Lumin app, 4 of my seven first level folder have an image displayed, and 3 don't have. All this using only folder view, the only one really useful to me so far. So, Lumin behaves properly when there is an image file inside the folder, but behaves randomly when there is none ???
24-01-2015, 22:00
(24-01-2015 15:45)lyapounov Wrote:  Hello

My library relies both on tags and folder structure. It means I have a high level set of folders (namely Renaissance, Classique, Jazz, opéras, 20th Century, Pop Folk Rock, World Music) each off them containing sub folders, each of them, in turn, containing folders with either music or subfolders. It means I have no music, and therefore no cover image at all until 3 levels below the root directory, i.e. 2 levels below the first level folders.

Interestingly, using Kinsky, an image is diplayed on each folder only when there is a cover image inside the folder, and so no image for 1st level and 2nd level folders, which is the expected behavior.

But using the Lumin app, 4 of my seven first level folder have an image displayed, and 3 don't have. All this using only folder view, the only one really useful to me so far. So, Lumin behaves properly when there is an image file inside the folder, but behaves randomly when there is none ???

You would need to ask the LUMIN app developers how they decide which image to display. As you say, the behaviour with Kinsky is the expected behaviour of MinimServer.
24-01-2015, 22:04
(24-01-2015 15:44)Moverall Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I am busy populating my album images, having cleared out the caches, so all seems to be well, thanks very much.

Regarding your idea of having the two options sounds a good one, as the user could still chose their own art by putting a jpeg in the folder if they did not like to one that would be found with the deeper search.

Being able to choose the artwork is a great feature as it means some classic covers can be used, rather than 'Best of..."

At the moment, I think the balance has tipped against implementing the deeper search because it is likely to produce unexpected and unwanted images at higher levels.
25-01-2015, 10:18 (This post was last modified: 25-01-2015 11:53 by lyapounov.)
Thank you Simon, I understand.

I have done something very funny BTW : I have created in each subfolder a Folder.jpg which contains an image I have chosen myself, representing the subfolder.

As an exemple, the subfolder Beethoven contains a Folder.jpg which is a portrait of Beethoven. Same for Mozart, Stravinsky, etc. I need to do it for Jazz (quite long); but the result is surprisingly interesting : I have all images of composers in the classical music subfolder, something I have never had before !