Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver 0.8.3 albums missing
31-12-2014, 17:43
Minimserver 0.8.3 albums missing
Hi Simon,

I am having trouble with this new release on Windows 8, Java 8. Albums are missing from the library. They can be found on the folder view, but are missing from the library view. If I downgrade to an older release, they come back into the library.

I have many duplicate albums recorded at different resolutions. Prior to this release, minimserver handled the duplicates appropriately. Has the logic here changed?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Many thanks,

Larry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 18:01
RE: Minimserver 0.8.3 albums missing
(31-12-2014 17:43)lmitche Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I am having trouble with this new release on Windows 8, Java 8. Albums are missing from the library. They can be found on the folder view, but are missing from the library view. If I downgrade to an older release, they come back into the library.

I have many duplicate albums recorded at different resolutions. Prior to this release, minimserver handled the duplicates appropriately. Has the logic here changed?

Many thanks,

Larry

There shouldn't be any difference with how MinimServer handles duplicate albums in 0.8.3. If these albums have the same name and artist and you have the mergeFolderAlbums property set to true, you need to use a match filter to prevent the duplicate albums being merged. Are you doing this?

Which control point are you using to view the library?

Can you see any pattern in the albums that are missing? For example, are they all duplicates of other albums that are not missing?
31-12-2014, 18:52 (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 18:53 by lmitche.)
(31-12-2014 18:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 17:43)lmitche Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Many thanks,

Larry

There shouldn't be any difference with how MinimServer handles duplicate albums in 0.8.3. If these albums have the same name and artist and you have the mergeFolderAlbums property set to true, you need to use a match filter to prevent the duplicate albums being merged. Are you doing this?

Which control point are you using to view the library?

Can you see any pattern in the albums that are missing? For example, are they all duplicates of other albums that are not missing?

The mergeFolderAlbums property is set to false. The problem manifests itself using both Lumim and the Linn Kazoo apps. Minimserver 0.8.2 does not exhibit this issue.

It is hard to say if this only happens on duplicates. By sampling, I would say yes, but I don't know for sure. Running 0.8.2 shows an album count of 5138, and on 0.8.3 an album count of 4419.
31-12-2014, 20:44
(31-12-2014 18:52)lmitche Wrote:  The mergeFolderAlbums property is set to false. The problem manifests itself using both Lumim and the Linn Kazoo apps. Minimserver 0.8.2 does not exhibit this issue.

It is hard to say if this only happens on duplicates. By sampling, I would say yes, but I don't know for sure. Running 0.8.2 shows an album count of 5138, and on 0.8.3 an album count of 4419.

I haven't had any other reports of this problem and I don't (yet) know what could cause it.

Which platform are you using to run MinimServer and what are your contentDir settings? There was a bug in 0.8.3 that could affect which contentDir folders are considered valid (see this post).

Have you installed the latest update (update 54)?

Have you looked in the MinimServer 0.8.3 log to see if there are any error messages?

Have you tried setting startupScan to "full" and doing a Rescan from the minim icon?

Is the "n items" count lower on 0.8.3 or is it the same as 0.8.2?

Can you identify a specific album that is missing with 0.8.3? This would be helpful for further analysis of the problem.
24-01-2015, 18:23 (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 19:18 by lmitche.)
(31-12-2014 20:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 18:52)lmitche Wrote:  The mergeFolderAlbums property is set to false. The problem manifests itself using both Lumim and the Linn Kazoo apps. Minimserver 0.8.2 does not exhibit this issue.

I haven't had any other reports of this problem and I don't (yet) know what could cause it.

Which platform are you using to run MinimServer and what are your contentDir settings? There was a bug in 0.8.3 that could affect which contentDir folders are considered valid (see this post).

Have you installed the latest update (update 54)?

Have you looked in the MinimServer 0.8.3 log to see if there are any error messages?

Have you tried setting startupScan to "full" and doing a Rescan from the minim icon?

Is the "n items" count lower on 0.8.3 or is it the same as 0.8.2?

Can you identify a specific album that is missing with 0.8.3? This would be helpful for further analysis of the problem.

Hi Simon,

Having finally found the time to analyze the change in behavior from minimserver 0.8.2 to 0.8.3, there is an improvement with the 0.8.3 57 update. Thanks for this. The null characters show as question marks, but at least the files are loaded into the library. My guess is the the problem is caused by the issue outlined in this thread.

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...p?tid=2104

On the windows 8.1 running minimserver 0.8.3 57 there are over 192 thousand lines of warning messages related to 0x00 errors in my minimserver.log file. Do you know of a Windows mp3tag editor program that can read and rewrite the tags without nulls in a batch process? Modifying each tag, one at a time looks rather onerous.

My guess is that jriver is placing nulls in the tags. They are in almost every tag.

Many thanks for your advice and consideration,

Larry
24-01-2015, 21:58
(24-01-2015 18:23)lmitche Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Having finally found the time to analyze the change in behavior from minimserver 0.8.2 to 0.8.3, there is an improvement with the 0.8.3 57 update. Thanks for this. The null characters show as question marks, but at least the files are loaded into the library. My guess is the the problem is caused by the issue outlined in this thread.

On the windows 8.1 running minimserver 0.8.3 57 there are over 192 thousand lines of warning messages related to 0x00 errors in my minimserver.log file. Do you know of a Windows mp3tag editor program that can read and rewrite the tags without nulls in a batch process? Modifying each tag, one at a time looks rather onerous.

My guess is that jriver is placing nulls in the tags. They are in almost every tag.

Larry

MinimServer has been producing warning messages for NUL characters in tag values for a long time. The only difference in 0.8.3 is that the tag values are loaded (with the NUL characters replaced) instead of not being loaded.

The first step is to find out what is putting the NUL characters into your tag values. It would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

1) How were these file containing NUL characters created? For example, were they ripped from CD using JRiver?

2) If they were ripped from CD using JRiver, what version of JRiver was this?

3) What is the file type of these files (e.g., MP3, MP4. M4A, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)?

Many thanks for your help with this.
25-01-2015, 20:23
(24-01-2015 21:58)simoncn Wrote:  

Larry

MinimServer has been producing warning messages for NUL characters in tag values for a long time. The only difference in 0.8.3 is that the tag values are loaded (with the NUL characters replaced) instead of not being loaded.

The first step is to find out what is putting the NUL characters into your tag values. It would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

1) How were these file containing NUL characters created? For example, were they ripped from CD using JRiver?

Hi Simon,

These files were ripped with Jriver or dbpoweramp or downloaded from HDtracks. However the library has been curated, and tags re-written using Jriver MC version 18.0.122. All are FLAC files.

The nulls seems to be replaced with a question mark character. Is this correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Larry
25-01-2015, 20:25
(25-01-2015 20:23)lmitche Wrote:  

Larry

Hi Simon,

These files were ripped with Jriver or dbpoweramp or downloaded from HDtracks. However the library has been curated, and tags re-written using Jriver MC version 18.0.122. All are FLAC files.

Larry

Also, the null character is always at the end of the tag string.
25-01-2015, 20:33
(25-01-2015 20:25)lmitche Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 20:23)lmitche Wrote:  

Larry

Hi Simon,

Larry

Also, the null character is always at the end of the tag string.

Also, it looks like there were releases of Jriver MC 16 and 18 both of which padded a null at the end of the tag string. This behavior was fixed in later releases.

This is documented at the bottom of this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89267.0

Looks like the smoking gun to me.
25-01-2015, 20:38
(25-01-2015 20:23)lmitche Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Larry

This bug in JRiver was fixed in version 18.0.153. See this post.

If you rewrite the tags with JRiver 18.0.153 or later, this should fix the problem.