Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degraded Mode QNap - Minim not working
20-12-2014, 13:08 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 13:11 by Stemenik.)
Degraded Mode QNap - Minim not working
Hello to everybody.

One disk decided to fail in a QNap TS419 P II. I'm now running the 4-disk RAID5 system in a 3-disk degraded mode configuration, waiting for the faulty disk to be replaced. All files are visible and available.

I assumed the MinimServer to work on the system as it ever did, but I found it not to be available. In fact from the QNap OS (an older 3.8.1 version) the server showed as disabled, and enabling it didn't result in it actually enabling, a further check would show it as disabled again.

Since the MinimServer was an older version 0.6, I uninstalled it and manually installed the latest 0.8.2 version. Now from the QNap OS the server looks enabled, but still it's not visible from the outside, all softwares usually "seeing" it don't seem to detect it, and the MinimWatch do not detect it either.

Any suggestions? I would like the NAS' owner to use the NAS on Christmas holydays and I can't get the replacement HD before the new year's first weeks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2014, 15:01
RE: Degraded Mode QNap - Minim not working
(20-12-2014 13:08)Stemenik Wrote:  Hello to everybody.

One disk decided to fail in a QNap TS419 P II. I'm now running the 4-disk RAID5 system in a 3-disk degraded mode configuration, waiting for the faulty disk to be replaced. All files are visible and available.

I assumed the MinimServer to work on the system as it ever did, but I found it not to be available. In fact from the QNap OS (an older 3.8.1 version) the server showed as disabled, and enabling it didn't result in it actually enabling, a further check would show it as disabled again.

Since the MinimServer was an older version 0.6, I uninstalled it and manually installed the latest 0.8.2 version. Now from the QNap OS the server looks enabled, but still it's not visible from the outside, all softwares usually "seeing" it don't seem to detect it, and the MinimWatch do not detect it either.

Any suggestions? I would like the NAS' owner to use the NAS on Christmas holydays and I can't get the replacement HD before the new year's first weeks.

Have you checked the system log to see if there are any error messages from MinimServer?

To check whether MinimServer 0.8.2 is running on the QNAP, you can open the page http://x.x.x.x:9790 in a web browser, where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the QNAP.

If the web page doesn't respond, this means that MinimServer has failed to start successfully. Please post back here with the result of this test and I will advise on next steps.
20-12-2014, 15:41
Thank you for your answer!

OK I had tried opening that URL before (the QNap OS gives it as the server's own link) but it doesn't respond. Tried again just now. So yes, the MinimServer failed to start...
20-12-2014, 15:43 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 16:11 by Stemenik.)
By the way, while I was in my lunch time I thought I could try re-installing the Java as well - since the disk failure had corrupted the MinimServer's older version it could as well have corrupted the JRE... Would it be a good idea...?

EDIT:
OK while I was waiting for your reply I decided I'd reinstall the JRE anyway. I disabled the MinimServer, uninstalled the older JRE, installed the JRE_ARM 8.6.0, re-enabled the MinimServer, power-cycled the QNap. The MinimServer still doesn't seem to start Sad
20-12-2014, 16:21
(20-12-2014 15:43)Stemenik Wrote:  By the way, while I was in my lunch time I thought I could try re-installing the Java as well - since the disk failure had corrupted the MinimServer's older version it could as well have corrupted the JRE... Would it be a good idea...?

EDIT:
OK while I was waiting for your reply I decided I'd reinstall the JRE anyway. I disabled the MinimServer, uninstalled the older JRE, installed the JRE_ARM 8.6.0, re-enabled the MinimServer, power-cycled the QNap. The MinimServer still doesn't seem to start Sad

Did you check the system log for error messages as I suggested in my previous post?

If there are no messages in the system log, the next steps are:

1) Manually install MinimServer 0.8.3 to replace MinimServer 0.8.2
2) Reboot the NAS
3) MinimServer will fail to start but will show as started in the QNAP admin console
4) From the QNAP admin console, disable MinimServer
5) This will create a file named minimserver-diag.tar.gz on the Public share of the QNAP
6) Attach the minimserver-diag.tar.gz file to a post here

The contents of the minimserver-diag.tar.gz file should enable me to find the cause of the problem.
20-12-2014, 16:37
(20-12-2014 16:21)simoncn Wrote:  Did you check the system log for error messages as I suggested in my previous post?

I'm sorry I hadn't realised which system log should I look at since the server isn't working. Now I seem to have grabbed that I needed to look at the NAS' logs. I checked and there seem to be nothing.

I will proceed following your instructions
20-12-2014, 17:09
I'm back with the file, I attached it to this entry.

Thank you very much for your help

.gz  minimserver-diag.tar.gz (Size: 548 bytes / Downloads: 2)
20-12-2014, 21:29
(20-12-2014 17:09)Stemenik Wrote:  I'm back with the file, I attached it to this entry.

Thank you very much for your help

Thanks for this. The startup error message is:

A later version of package 'minimserver-0.8.2' is preinstalled

This means there is something wrong with the contents of one of the following folders:

/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/lib
/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/libext

Please run the following commands and post the output here:

ls -l /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/lib
ls -l /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/libext

Thanks very much!
23-12-2014, 12:53
Hi, I'm very sorry for the delay but my Internet connection was lost for 3 days.

I attached the output of the commands you suggested. I hope I did it right and that it makes sense for you. By the way the second command didn't give any output, as you will see from the attached documents.

.zip  Instruction 1.zip (Size: 1.08 KB / Downloads: 1)

.zip  Instruction 2.zip (Size: 797 bytes / Downloads: 1)
23-12-2014, 13:14
(23-12-2014 12:53)Stemenik Wrote:  Hi, I'm very sorry for the delay but my Internet connection was lost for 3 days.

I attached the output of the commands you suggested. I hope I did it right and that it makes sense for you. By the way the second command didn't give any output, as you will see from the attached documents.

Somehow you have managed to install both MinimServer 0.8.2 and MinimServer 0.8.3 in the /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/lib directory. This shouldn't be possible and I don't know how it happened.

To fix this, run the following command:

rm -f /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/lib/*

and then reinstall MinimServer 0.8.3.