Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
28-08-2020, 11:26
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
In my opinion, WAV sounds better than FLAC in all cases, so it would be better to convert offline if transcoding isn't possible. I suggest you do the comparison yourself on a test file.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2020, 13:54
Thanks will do. Btw when you suggested FLAC would sound better than AIFF - did you mean FLAC transcoded you WAV vs AIFF straight?

In notice that you now support AIFF to WAV. Would it make no difference aiff vs flac if transcoding either to WAV?
28-08-2020, 14:17
I did not say that FLAC would sound better than AIFF. I said that FLAC transcoded to WAV (i.e., WAV) is likely to sound slightly better than AIFF. This is based on comments from MinimServer users and is the reason why AIFF to WAV transcoding was added to MinimStreamer.

Again, the best way for you to discover which sounds better is to try it. I have not tried comparing FLAC -> WAV transcoding with AIFF -> WAV transcoding.
05-09-2020, 03:27 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2020 03:28 by maikeru.)
Understood. I’ve opted for AIFF and this seems to work fine. I may try a different compression level for FLAC as well but the number of DXD albums I have is small regardless.

New question - Dela/Melco is now offering an optical conversion set for the S-100.

Where would this sit in the chain? Directly before/to the player? To the N1A? Or between the S100 and the other switch or main router?

Also what are your thoughts about their choice of multi mode rather than single mode?

https://www.dela-audio.com/product/op-s100/

(One more note - they released a new switch - the S10 - with its own external linear power supply. 600,000 JPY!!). ,-)
05-09-2020, 12:33 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2020 12:35 by simoncn.)
I am interested to see this. It looks very similar to the optical converters that I am using in my system, which I have described in previous posts. My setup uses TP-Link devices and a single-mode optical cable. Multi-mode is needed only for very long optical links.

You can put it anywhere in the chain. In my setup, I have it between my server device (an N1A) and the S100. I wasn't able to try it between the S100 and my renderer device (an N1Z) because my TP-Link converter only supports gigabit Ethernet. It looks like the Buffalo/DELA converter is able to support multiple speeds on its Ethernet port.
12-09-2020, 03:36
So I've ordered this OP-S100 kit. DELA, via the Tokyo dealer, tells me that while the recommend 100M over 1000M (for S100--->Player) they aver that 1000M is nonetheless preferred if using fibre. Logic being that copper is easily affected by noise; whereas the main advantage of optical cables is that they are not easily affected by noise from other devices. Does that sound right? Or would you have thought that fibre over 100M would be the sweet spot?
12-09-2020, 07:22
The only way to find out is to try both and compare.

Do you need to choose between 100M and 1000M when placing the order or can the same equipment support both speeds?
12-09-2020, 07:35
I wasn't asked to choose. The only choice they asked me to make was the cable length.
12-09-2020, 14:21
I think this probably means that the OP-100 will automatically negotiate the Ethernet port speed to match the Ethernet port speed of the connected device, unless the OP-100 comes with instructions that provide a way to configure the speed yourself.
17-09-2020, 05:57 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2020 05:59 by maikeru.)
OK I've received the kit. There are four dip switches but the instructions say to leave them as they are.

Auto/Manual (Auto)
100M/10M (100M)
FDX-HDX (FDX)
LFP ON/LFP OFF (LFP ON)

I've put this between my S100 and my Lumin T2.

Crikey. Noise floor is nuts. Greater detail but still musical.

Wondering what improvements could be gained by also putting a unit between the S100 and the N1A (and/or from the S100 to the switch-->router)