Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
18-01-2020, 01:13
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
New MELCO woes
What has happened to the Melco HD app - no longer available to download from the Apple App store. I have a copy on my iPad and want to transfer it to my new iPhone - as it is not a purchased app it does not appear for syncing through iCloud. Any suggestions how I can get the Melco Music app onto my iPhone?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2020, 18:19
As far as I am aware, Melco Music HD has never been available for the iPhone. It is an HD app which means it is for iPad. There is now a new version of Melco Music HD which offers really cool Internet radio support.

Melco Music HD is based on mConnect – and there is a version of mConnect for phone.

I hope this helps.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
21-01-2020, 00:07
(20-01-2020 18:19)Donuk Wrote:  As far as I am aware, Melco Music HD has never been available for the iPhone. It is an HD app which means it is for iPad. There is now a new version of Melco Music HD which offers really cool Internet radio support.

Melco Music HD is based on mConnect – and there is a version of mConnect for phone.

I hope this helps.

Donuk beautiful downtown York

Thanks for the clarity - I'm using the mConnect app on my phone with some success (won't stream Classic FM for more then 10 seconds UPnP only - not USB connection). Sadly the really cool Internet radio support is for EX only. I see the US has some kind of upgrade program for existing N1 users but I've not heard anything in the UK.
David
27-01-2020, 10:43
Dear All
I must admit I am very late to the party but have just installed Minim Server on my Melco N1ZA.
What a transformation, just had one of the jaw dropping moments I never realised how good the Melco could be.
Stunned...!
27-01-2020, 12:58
Thanks very much for this. You have made my day! Smile

If you haven't already disabled Twonky, try using the Media Server > Twonky Service menu selection to do this. Your jaw might drop a little bit further.
27-01-2020, 15:24
(27-01-2020 12:58)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks very much for this. You have made my day! Smile

If you haven't already disabled Twonky, try using the Media Server > Twonky Service menu selection to do this. Your jaw might drop a little bit further.

Hello Simon,
yes, I have disabled Twonky and running in "Dark Mode" with the Melco led's switched off and network isolated with wireless access point.
It's made my year as I was about to purchase a second Antipodes CX EX the two box solution. I have yet to do a A - B but it looks like I will not be going forwards with the purchase, as the existing Melco has been launched into the stratosphere buy using Minim. I will be following the Melco upgrade to Minim 2 version when available.
I will post back in a few weeks when I am able to do the A - B but until then can you give us some information on how your two box solution works and how the SQ improves YMMV. As I see it one box holds the music and the second does the server and player ? Where as the Antipodes combo each box does one player one server to reduce computer noise. I just may purchase a second Melco at this rate.
Kind regards
Clive.
27-01-2020, 15:38
My two-box solution has the music files and MinimServer on an N1A. The player is an N1Z and this is connected via USB to the DAC (a dCS Rossini).

I haven't tried separating the music files from the machine running MinimServer. My intuition is that this would adversely affect SQ but I can't be sure.

I have tried running both the server and player on the N1Z with the files there also. This had an adverse effect on SQ compared with my setup described above.

I am using optical links rather than wireless for network isolation.
27-01-2020, 21:48
(27-01-2020 15:38)simoncn Wrote:  My two-box solution has the music files and MinimServer on an N1A. The player is an N1Z and this is connected via USB to the DAC (a dCS Rossini).

Just to clarify, is the function of the N1Z then purely to render the music files from ethernet packets to USB?

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
27-01-2020, 22:07
(27-01-2020 21:48)DavidL Wrote:  Just to clarify, is the function of the N1Z then purely to render the music files from ethernet packets to USB?

Yes, and it does this extremely well. Smile
28-01-2020, 08:27
(27-01-2020 22:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-01-2020 21:48)DavidL Wrote:  Just to clarify, is the function of the N1Z then purely to render the music files from ethernet packets to USB?

Yes, and it does this extremely well. Smile

Hello Simon, similar question please, with a little more detail if I may ask.

Do I assume the following ?

N1Z the renderer, has Twonky disabled and in dark mode.
N1A the server, as above running Minim Server.
Both connected to each other by direct ethernet cable, player ports.
Network connected to N1A and isolated from network noise by an optic cable system please can you give details how to achieve a similar set up.
Control App for example Bubble UPnP selects Library on the N1A and the player on the N1Z to play the music files.
The two box system uses two CPUs to reduce noise in the render box which helps with SQ YMMV.

So in my situation I could use my existing N1Z as a Minim Server only and say use my existing Antipodes EX configured as a UPnP player or say my Antipodes CX with Minim Server and the Melco N1A as a UPnP player with Minim Server stopped or uninstalled to save CPU usage ?

Regards Clive.