Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
13-09-2015, 09:54
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
Is it possible to change bigger HDD's inside N1A? I would like to have raid1 and
2TB in too small for me.

Is the N1A silent enough to put in the hifi-rack?

It's not yet possible to get Melco to home audition in Finland, soon maybe.

Pete
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2015, 22:12
You can change the disks but it would invalidate any warranty.

I'm surprised that 2Tb is too small for you, that's a huge amount of music files. The N1A has 2 x 2Tb drives so gives you 2Tb in raid1 format.

However, I did try running in raid 1 format and found this degraded the sound compared with running the disks as one big disk. I now run as one big disk and use my old NAS drive as backup. In fact I rip to my QNAP and have a utility setup to copy the files to the Melco.

Simon and I discussed the sound difference and assumed it must be that raid 1 is running both disks rather than just the one that the currently playing music is on, and the extra power demand for the disks is causing the difference. Can't think of any other reason.

As delivered the N1A is quiet enough for the HiFi rack, if you change the disks that might change.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Lumin & Kazoo
14-09-2015, 09:00
(13-09-2015 22:12)Peter@57m Wrote:  You can change the disks but it would invalidate any warranty.

I'm surprised that 2Tb is too small for you, that's a huge amount of music files. The N1A has 2 x 2Tb drives so gives you 2Tb in raid1 format.

However, I did try running in raid 1 format and found this degraded the sound compared with running the disks as one big disk. I now run as one big disk and use my old NAS drive as backup. In fact I rip to my QNAP and have a utility setup to copy the files to the Melco.

Simon and I discussed the sound difference and assumed it must be that raid 1 is running both disks rather than just the one that the currently playing music is on, and the extra power demand for the disks is causing the difference. Can't think of any other reason.

As delivered the N1A is quiet enough for the HiFi rack, if you change the disks that might change.

I have 3.2TB music now. I could start that 2x2TB spanned disk and do like
you. Put everything in to QNAP first and then sync with rsync to Melco.
14-09-2015, 16:09
What a lot of music :-)

For security, having copies on multiple devices is better than raid on a single device.

You could try loading a few of your favourite test tracks on as spanned, have a listen, then reformat as raid 1, reload the test tracks and see what you think. If you hear no difference then you could swap out for larger disks and run raid 1 so you'd have 3 copies.

I have a copy of my music on the Melco, one on my desktop PC, on a raid QNAP and finally on a third party online backup server. Just a bit paranoid.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Lumin & Kazoo
15-09-2015, 08:11
(13-09-2015 22:12)Peter@57m Wrote:  However, I did try running in raid 1 format and found this degraded the sound compared with running the disks as one big disk. I now run as one big disk and use my old NAS drive as backup. In fact I rip to my QNAP and have a utility setup to copy the files to the Melco.

The Melco has three RAID types. Only RAID1 provides any form of redundancy in case of drive failure.

Spanned Array (default setting)
This is one logical volume using the 2x2TB making 4TB in total. However, if either drive fails the whole volume is lost. The first drive in the volume fills up before the 2nd is used.

RAID0
1 logical volume as above but data is striped across both disks. Offers faster read performance (not needed for streaming). Either drive fails, entire volume is lost. Both drives are used for reading/writing depending on operating needs.

RAID1
This is a disk mirror. The volume size is exactly half of the total drive capacity - in this case 2TB. Each 2TB drive is a mirror of the other and provides redundancy should 1 drive fail. Data is written concurrently to both drives at same time. There is no read performance unless the software controller handles that (random reads from either drive).

It should be noted that in all cases the drives are spun up continually within the Melco regardless of RAID setup.
22-09-2015, 13:20
(09-08-2015 16:09)simoncn Wrote:  I am using MinimStreamer to do FLAC to WAV transcoding
Does the MinimSreamer in Melco support dsf to wav transcoding?
Is there a suitable stream converter (ffmpeg?) ?
22-09-2015, 19:01
(22-09-2015 13:20)Mihaylov Wrote:  Does the MinimSreamer in Melco support dsf to wav transcoding?
Is there a suitable stream converter (ffmpeg?) ?

MinimStreamer does support this but I have not been able to find an ffmpeg binary that can run on the Melco. Even if such a binary were available, there is no supported way for a user to install it.
22-09-2015, 20:05 (This post was last modified: 22-09-2015 20:07 by Mihaylov.)
(22-09-2015 19:01)simoncn Wrote:  Even if such a binary were available, there is no supported way for a user to install it.
Perhaps such ffmpeg binary file can be installed to Melco by users in the same way as Java and MinimServer?
25-09-2015, 13:52
I have noted that Melco N1Z transcodes dsf files to 44.1 kHz wav files in "DSD convert to PCM" mode when useing usb port for streaming to DAC Sad.
Yesterday I have listened SACD rip of Miles Davis's "Sketches of Spain" on Melco N1Z ("DSD over PCM" mode)->usb->TAD DAC DA1000 in full top TAD system and the sound was excellent and more better then the sound of same rip converting to PCM 24/176 flac offline as on Melco with TAD DAC and on Linn Klimax DS/1 with Melco.
26-10-2015, 15:40 (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 15:45 by saltysky.)
(13-08-2015 12:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 00:44)desertaudio Wrote:  Would you also please send me these instructions for a Melco N1A. Thanks.

PM sent.

Hello Simon, would you be so kind to share your instructions on how to install minimserver on N1A. Thank you in advance.