Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
convert settings failed
03-12-2014, 18:55
convert settings failed
I haven’t connected my Synology DS412+ NAS to LUMIN S1 by USB, just by LAN over a router. In my home net there are connected still PC WIN7, LINUX MINT17, notebook WIN8, apleTV, Canon Printer (all LAN) and iPad + three TVs (one LAN, two WiFi). I have two problems:
1. I thought minimServer is capable to see any music files in the home net even if running on the NAS. Probably not. minimServer is searching in home (NAS) folders only and doesn’t accept any outside addresses writing error “not truePath”. I tried to write //192.168….. and smb://LinuxPC name/usr/home/Music etc. and didn’t succeed. What is wrong? But I can launch second and third minimServers on each PC and MAC. LUMIN will see three or more different minimServers then. Complicated but possible. I didn’t want to use PCs capacity for music just NAS only. Any recommendations?
2. Neither Win7 nor iPad nor LINUX were able to configure minimServer on NAS to convert DFF and DSF files to wav24 or wav16 even if described in the guide. minimServer has accepted mp3:wav command only. For any other combination as dsf:wav24 or dff:wav16 etc. an error is occurring “Unsupported transcoding combination”. A combination mp3:flac doesn’t work either. And I have plenty of files in DSF and DFF of course. I can play them directly from NAS on LUMIN without minimServer but without tags as well. Guys from LUMIN told “tagging over minimServer only” it should work………. Any advice?
Thanks and Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 19:17
RE: convert settings failed
(03-12-2014 18:55)patri4ka Wrote:  I haven’t connected my Synology DS412+ NAS to LUMIN S1 by USB, just by LAN over a router. In my home net there are connected still PC WIN7, LINUX MINT17, notebook WIN8, apleTV, Canon Printer (all LAN) and iPad + three TVs (one LAN, two WiFi). I have two problems:
1. I thought minimServer is capable to see any music files in the home net even if running on the NAS. Probably not. minimServer is searching in home (NAS) folders only and doesn’t accept any outside addresses writing error “not truePath”. I tried to write //192.168….. and smb://LinuxPC name/usr/home/Music etc. and didn’t succeed. What is wrong? But I can launch second and third minimServers on each PC and MAC. LUMIN will see three or more different minimServers then. Complicated but possible. I didn’t want to use PCs capacity for music just NAS only. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

When MinimServer is running on a NAS, it can access any files on the NAS (or mounted on the Linux filesystem of the NAS).

If you want to use the NAS's capacity for music instead of using the the PC's capacity, you can place all your music on the NAS and run MinimServer on the NAS.

If you want to keep some parts of your library on a PC or Mac and not copy them to the NAS, you need to run MinimServer on the PC or Mac.

Quote:2. Neither Win7 nor iPad nor LINUX were able to configure minimServer on NAS to convert DFF and DSF files to wav24 or wav16 even if described in the guide. minimServer has accepted mp3:wav command only. For any other combination as dsf:wav24 or dff:wav16 etc. an error is occurring “Unsupported transcoding combination”. A combination mp3:flac doesn’t work either. And I have plenty of files in DSF and DFF of course. I can play them directly from NAS on LUMIN without minimServer but without tags as well. Guys from LUMIN told “tagging over minimServer only” it should work………. Any advice?
Thanks and Regards

You need to enter dsf:dopwav and dff:dopwav, not dsf:wav24 or dff:wav16. The combinations that work are listed in this section.
03-12-2014, 22:10
Thanks,Simon, it works! Dopwav doesn't diminish SQ of DFF?
03-12-2014, 22:18
(03-12-2014 22:10)patri4ka Wrote:  Thanks,Simon, it works! Dopwav doesn't diminish SQ of DFF?

Not at all. DoP is just a PCM wrapper for the DSD bits in the original DFF or DSF file.

You don't actually need to use DoP transcoding with the LUMIN player. Unlike most other DSD players, the LUMIN can stream native DSD without a DoP wrapper.
03-12-2014, 23:08
Yes, I know. But I have my music mostly in DFF files, i.e. without tagging. That's while I wanted to use minimserver. BTW extracting ISOs is very time spending process. Don’t you prepare any plugin for direct plying ISOs through minimserver as fooBar or jRiver do?
03-12-2014, 23:19
(03-12-2014 23:08)patri4ka Wrote:  Yes, I know. But I have my music mostly in DFF files, i.e. without tagging. That's while I wanted to use minimserver. BTW extracting ISOs is very time spending process. Don’t you prepare any plugin for direct plying ISOs through minimserver as fooBar or jRiver do?

MinimServer is not able to read .iso files. It can stream .dff and .dsf files with or without DoP wrapping.
04-12-2014, 01:13
I started testing and am confused. minimServer should read and convert mp3 files (command mp3:wav has been accepted and mp3:dopwav rejected). But Lumin doesn’t see any mp3 files in minimServer library newly added on NAS - only DFFs and DSFs. Where do I a mistake?
04-12-2014, 08:15
(04-12-2014 01:13)patri4ka Wrote:  I started testing and am confused. minimServer should read and convert mp3 files (command mp3:wav has been accepted and mp3:dopwav rejected). But Lumin doesn’t see any mp3 files in minimServer library newly added on NAS - only DFFs and DSFs. Where do I a mistake?

What happens if you remove the mp3:wav setting and restart MinimServer? Does LUMIN see the mp3 files?

Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?

Are you sure the location of the mp3 files is included in your content directory settings?

You can try setting the log level to Verbose and doing a rescan. The log will show the locations of all the folders that are being scanned for files.
04-12-2014, 17:11
(04-12-2014 08:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 01:13)patri4ka Wrote:  I started testing and am confused. minimServer should read and convert mp3 files (command mp3:wav has been accepted and mp3:dopwav rejected). But Lumin doesn’t see any mp3 files in minimServer library newly added on NAS - only DFFs and DSFs. Where do I a mistake?

What happens if you remove the mp3:wav setting and restart MinimServer? Does LUMIN see the mp3 files?

Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?

Are you sure the location of the mp3 files is included in your content directory settings?

You can try setting the log level to Verbose and doing a rescan. The log will show the locations of all the folders that are being scanned for files.
i) Not - the same after removing mp3:wav command
ii) „Nothing special – only dealing with bad tagging of DSF files (“Warning: truncating incorrect value for DATE tag 2002-19-12 in file JOHNNY CASH - SILVER/10 - JOHNNY CASH - I'm Gonna Sit On The Porch And Pick On My Old Guitar.dsf“¨). This deals with the album in DSF, which minimServer sees. The second album at the same place is in mp3.
iii) Quite sure. Before I started the testing I had emptied the folder /volume1/music on NAS and now I’m giving step by step one new album to the single one, which was be visible in LUMIN. After that I give commands RESCAN in minimWatch and UPDATE or RELOAD Music Library in LUMIN. I have a quick responce such way than before, when I had >500 albums in the folder /volume1/music on NAS.
iv) starting MinimServer[DiskStation]
Scanning directory music
Scanning directory JOHNNY CASH - SILVER
(patri4ka - Follows 12 DSF files as expected)
Scanning directory @eaDir (patri4ka – not known to me)
Scanning directory Simple Pleasures (patri4ka – mp3 files)
Scanning directory @eaDir
MinimServer[DiskStation] is running
04-12-2014, 17:32
I removed minimStreamer in the next step, but the situation remains unchanged. minimServer doesn’t see mp3s anymore. Should I remove hidden directories @eaDir form NAS too?