Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mimin Server Disappearing!
15-11-2014, 13:01
Mimin Server Disappearing!
I have successfully used MinimServer for several years on my ARM QNAP. Its now getting a bit long in the tooth and given I have a MacMini (Running Yosemite Server) I thought I would transfer my music to a drive on the MacMini and install Minimserver on the Mini.

When I installed it and start it running it it shows up on MinimWatch on my iMac that is physically connected to my LAN and also is also visible in Kazoo on that machine. Howvever I can't see it at all from any of my WiFi devices (iPhone, iPad & MacBook Air).

After a while it disappears from the devices that are directly connected to the LAN (first from Kazoo - then from MinimWatch). This never happens on the QNAP version running on exactly the same network - its always visible on all devices.

I have performed a completely clean install of Yosemite (server) on the MacMini and currently MinimServer is the only software running on it (apart from the OS !).

My router is a Linksys E4200 with the latest firmware installed (1.0.06) & I have a Cisco SG200 26 Port Smart Switch (so I can run my Linn system in Multicast). The configurations of both the MacMini & QNAP ports on the switch are identical.

Does anyone have any ideas what I need to look at??

Thanks

Peter-Marc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2014, 13:31
RE: Mimin Server Disappearing!
(15-11-2014 13:01)pmfortune Wrote:  I have successfully used MinimServer for several years on my ARM QNAP. Its now getting a bit long in the tooth and given I have a MacMini (Running Yosemite Server) I thought I would transfer my music to a drive on the MacMini and install Minimserver on the Mini.

When I installed it and start it running it it shows up on MinimWatch on my iMac that is physically connected to my LAN and also is also visible in Kazoo on that machine. Howvever I can't see it at all from any of my WiFi devices (iPhone, iPad & MacBook Air).

After a while it disappears from the devices that are directly connected to the LAN (first from Kazoo - then from MinimWatch). This never happens on the QNAP version running on exactly the same network - its always visible on all devices.

I have performed a completely clean install of Yosemite (server) on the MacMini and currently MinimServer is the only software running on it (apart from the OS !).

My router is a Linksys E4200 with the latest firmware installed (1.0.06) & I have a Cisco SG200 26 Port Smart Switch (so I can run my Linn system in Multicast). The configurations of both the MacMini & QNAP ports on the switch are identical.

Does anyone have any ideas what I need to look at??

Thanks

Peter-Marc

This sounds like a problem with IGMP snooping. Getting the correct setup for this on a Cisco switch can be quite tricky (I have an SG300). It is also advisable to use IGMP v2 rather than IGMP v3 if you have a Mac on the network. Can you try disabling IGMP snooping completely to see if this solves the problem?
15-11-2014, 15:22
Thanks

I tried disabling IGMP snooping and everything stopped working!! Kazoo/Kinsky couldn't see either the QNAP of MacMini servers - nor could it see any of my Linn streamers!

The switch is running V3 IGMP - I have no idea how to roll that back....

Any more advice/thoughts?

P-M
15-11-2014, 15:38
(15-11-2014 15:22)pmfortune Wrote:  Thanks

I tried disabling IGMP snooping and everything stopped working!! Kazoo/Kinsky couldn't see either the QNAP of MacMini servers - nor could it see any of my Linn streamers!

P-M

Are the IGMP queries being generated by the router or the switch? If they are being generated by the switch, there is a configuration option for my SG300 to select either IGMP v2 or IGMP v3. I presume you have the same option for your SG200.

For details of the problem that I experienced when using IGMP v3 with a Mac, see this post.
15-11-2014, 16:52 (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 16:56 by pmfortune.)
(15-11-2014 15:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 15:22)pmfortune Wrote:  Thanks

P-M

Are the IGMP queries being generated by the router or the switch? If they are being generated by the switch, there is a configuration option for my SG300 to select either IGMP v2 or IGMP v3. I presume you have the same option for your SG200.

For details of the problem that I experienced when using IGMP v3 with a Mac, see this post.

Thanks

When I accessed the IGMP page on the Switch earlier I am absolutely sure it said V3 - however on revisiting it says V2! I've tried to add a screenshot but not sure how to on the forum!

The IGMP Snooping settings I appear to have access to are (current settings in brackets):

Query Robustness (2)
Query Interval (125)
Query Max Response Interval (10)
Last Member Query Counter (Use default)
Last Member Query Interval (100)
Immediate leave (Enabled)

Can't see any field for selection of version number.

I assume that this is all coming from my switch as there is no reference whatsoever to IGMP in any of the config menus of the router.

Thanks

PS - Not sure if relevant but on the IGMP/MLD IP Multicast Group Table the port where the QNAP is connected features multiple times. However the port the MacMini is on does not appear anywhere.
15-11-2014, 17:35
(15-11-2014 16:52)pmfortune Wrote:  When I accessed the IGMP page on the Switch earlier I am absolutely sure it said V3 - however on revisiting it says V2! I've tried to add a screenshot but not sure how to on the forum!

Click the New Attachment: Browse button to select the file you want to attach, then click the Add Attachment button to attach the file.

Quote:The IGMP Snooping settings I appear to have access to are (current settings in brackets):

Query Robustness (2)
Query Interval (125)

This is because the version number is configured on a different page.

Quote:I assume that this is all coming from my switch as there is no reference whatsoever to IGMP in any of the config menus of the router.

Thanks

PS - Not sure if relevant but on the IGMP/MLD IP Multicast Group Table the port where the QNAP is connected features multiple times. However the port the MacMini is on does not appear anywhere.

There is some very useful information about how to set this up in this post. In particular, note the important role of the querier. If you have set it up correctly, the MacMini should be a member of the multicast group if MinimServer is running on the MacMini.
15-11-2014, 17:40
(15-11-2014 17:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 16:52)pmfortune Wrote:  When I accessed the IGMP page on the Switch earlier I am absolutely sure it said V3 - however on revisiting it says V2! I've tried to add a screenshot but not sure how to on the forum!

Click the New Attachment: Browse button to select the file you want to attach, then click the Add Attachment button to attach the file.

Quote:The IGMP Snooping settings I appear to have access to are (current settings in brackets):

Query Robustness (2)
Query Interval (125)

This is because the version number is configured on a different page.

Quote:I assume that this is all coming from my switch as there is no reference whatsoever to IGMP in any of the config menus of the router.

Thanks

There is some very useful information about how to set this up in this post. In particular, note the important role of the querier. If you have set it up correctly, the MacMini should be a member of the multicast group if MinimServer is running on the MacMini.

Thanks

I think I have cracked it - I had checked all those settings - but mindful of the fact that you said the MacMini doesn't always play ball I altered the 'Forward All' switch setting on the MacMini port to Static thus ensuring it received all Multicast traffic.

The MacMini Minim server has now appeared on all my control points - Crossing my fingers it stays there!!
15-11-2014, 18:13
(15-11-2014 17:40)pmfortune Wrote:  Thanks

I think I have cracked it - I had checked all those settings - but mindful of the fact that you said the MacMini doesn't always play ball I altered the 'Forward All' switch setting on the MacMini port to Static thus ensuring it received all Multicast traffic.

The MacMini Minim server has now appeared on all my control points - Crossing my fingers it stays there!!

I have needed to do this for devices that go to sleep (because they don't respond to IGMP queries while asleep) and for my WAP (because it doesn't repond to IGMP queries if no clients are connected to it). As you say, the issue might be caused by the MacMini receiving an IGMP v3 query.