Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac OSX- Bubble upnp - getting started questions
15-11-2014, 01:29
Mac OSX- Bubble upnp - getting started questions
Installed MinimServer and updated to 42 package. Not sure if I needed to update or install MinimStreamer. No plans to transcode any of my music which sits on an external drive on Airport Extreme.

I think I got the drive to get scanned by going to the Volumes path. My icon never turns clear but remains yellow after the scan. I assume it is done since the light on the drive stopped blinking. Checking the error log shows lots of unexpected ending at offset ...errors. How long should it take with an Ethernet connection to the Mac and about 1.2 TB of .Aiff files?

Installed Bubble UPNP Chromecast/DLNA on my Android phone and cannot see the MinimServer. I have no firewall setup on the Mac.

Sorry for the Newbie questions. Not even sure if Bubble will see or play full res .aiff 44k files without the license?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2014, 12:44
RE: Mac OSX- Bubble upnp - getting started questions
(15-11-2014 01:29)bixby Wrote:  Installed MinimServer and updated to 42 package. Not sure if I needed to update or install MinimStreamer. No plans to transcode any of my music which sits on an external drive on Airport Extreme.

I think I got the drive to get scanned by going to the Volumes path. My icon never turns clear but remains yellow after the scan. I assume it is done since the light on the drive stopped blinking. Checking the error log shows lots of unexpected ending at offset ...errors. How long should it take with an Ethernet connection to the Mac and about 1.2 TB of .Aiff files?

Installed Bubble UPNP Chromecast/DLNA on my Android phone and cannot see the MinimServer. I have no firewall setup on the Mac.

Sorry for the Newbie questions. Not even sure if Bubble will see or play full res .aiff 44k files without the license?

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

You won't see MinimServer in BubbleUPnP until the minim icon changes from yellow to transparent. As you have your music on a network drive, the initial scan will take a very long time (probably several hours) and subsequent rescans will also be slow.

You would get much better performance by attaching the drive with your music to the Mac using a USB connection. Is it possible that you could do this? Alternatively, you could put your music on a NAS and install MinimServer on the NAS.
15-11-2014, 18:05
Thanks very much for your response. I rebooted and got the rescan to work. Like you said it took about 45 minutes or so.

If I setup the startup scan to false, wouldn't that speed up the rescan since it is using cache? I need to keep the drive on the network since direct USB or Firewire degrades the sound when played natively from the Mac. Besides I rarely add music.

Thanks again, now off to the Bubble forums to see why the free trial version only seems to want to play wav through an Android CP and renderer.
15-11-2014, 19:30
(15-11-2014 18:05)bixby Wrote:  If I setup the startup scan to false, wouldn't that speed up the rescan since it is using cache? I need to keep the drive on the network since direct USB or Firewire degrades the sound when played natively from the Mac. Besides I rarely add music.

You can do this to get a quick startup with no I/O across the network. If you add music, you can select Rescan from the minim icon to find the new music on the network drive. This will be quicker than the initial scan because MinimServer is taking advantage of its local cache for music that hasn't changed.