Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB data: Does it carry album art info (ID3 tags)?
06-11-2014, 17:28
USB data: Does it carry album art info (ID3 tags)?
When sending music over USB from an attached computer, does the receiving device such as a dac have access to the ID3 tag data (album art)?

An engineer that I work with says:

"The USB interface only transmits digital audio. It cannot be used for any other data.... Album cover should be displayed on the computer or iPad controlling the server."

Even though he may be right about where the album art should be displayed, my question is can the album art be displayed on the dac (when connected via USB to a laptop or pc)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 17:39
RE: USB data: Does it carry album art info (ID3 tags)?
(06-11-2014 17:28)Cornell77 Wrote:  When sending music over USB from an attached computer, does the receiving device such as a dac have access to the ID3 tag data (album art)?

An engineer that I work with says:

"The USB interface only transmits digital audio. It cannot be used for any other data.... Album cover should be displayed on the computer or iPad controlling the server."

Even though he may be right about where the album art should be displayed, my question is can the album art be displayed on the dac (when connected via USB to a laptop or pc)?

The UPnP renderer has access to the entire file including ID3 tags and album art. However, the DAC would not have access to the ID3 data if it is separate from the UPnP renderer and uses a USB interface to receive audio data from the UPnP renderer. So your colleague is correct about this.
06-11-2014, 18:17
Can the dac itself be built as a part of a UPnP renderer?
06-11-2014, 20:02
(06-11-2014 18:17)Cornell77 Wrote:  Can the dac itself be built as a part of a UPnP renderer?

Yes. All the Linn DS models do this as well as many other devices from other manufacturers. In this case, the connection between the UPnP renderer software and the DAC would be internal instead of external via a USB socket.