Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie to MiniServer
04-11-2014, 19:41
Newbie to MiniServer
I'm new to MiniServer and just installed on my Qnap TS-220 NAS and I use JRiver on 3 different Macs.

The issue I'm having is that within JRiver I have made some custom library views based on some copy I've placed in the comment tag.

I cannot figuring out how to add it as all my files in JRiver have the comment area empty.

I have the idexTags field set up like this - All Artist, Date, Genre, Comment

What else am I missing? Thanks for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 21:09
RE: Newbie to MiniServer
(04-11-2014 19:41)Mysticisgod Wrote:  I'm new to MiniServer and just installed on my Qnap TS-220 NAS and I use JRiver on 3 different Macs.

It's MinimServer, not MiniServer.

Quote:The issue I'm having is that within JRiver I have made some custom library views based on some copy I've placed in the comment tag.

From this, it sounds like you have used the Comment tag to add some information to your files.

Quote:I cannot figuring out how to add it as all my files in JRiver have the comment area empty.

From this, it sounds like you haven't added information to the Comment tag. Please clarify exactly what you have done with the Comment tag.

Quote:I have the idexTags field set up like this - All Artist, Date, Genre, Comment

Which UPnP control point are you using to view and play your files?

Which tagging program did you use to add information to the Comment tag?

From the top-level menu for your MinimServer library, do you see a choice named Comment? If so, what happens when you select this choice?
05-11-2014, 00:12
(04-11-2014 21:09)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 19:41)Mysticisgod Wrote:  I'm new to MiniServer and just installed on my Qnap TS-220 NAS and I use JRiver on 3 different Macs.

It's MinimServer, not MiniServer.

That's just a typo mistake.

Quote:The issue I'm having is that within JRiver I have made some custom library views based on some copy I've placed in the comment tag.

From this, it sounds like you have used the Comment tag to add some information to your files.

Quote:I cannot figuring out how to add it as all my files in JRiver have the comment area empty.

From this, it sounds like you haven't added information to the Comment tag. Please clarify exactly what you have done with the Comment tag.

Quote:I have the idexTags field set up like this - All Artist, Date, Genre, Comment

Which UPnP control point are you using to view and play your files?

Which tagging program did you use to add information to the Comment tag?

From the top-level menu for your MinimServer library, do you see a choice named Comment? If so, what happens when you select this choice?

If I use my original Main Library, all comments are there in all files. But when I change the library to use MinimServer [Qnap NAS] the comment field is left blank along with the Album Artist (which all my files use that tag too), so I'm assuming is it just ignoring that field which I wish to change.
05-11-2014, 04:51
(05-11-2014 00:12)Mysticisgod Wrote:  If I use my original Main Library, all comments are there in all files. But when I change the library to use MinimServer [Qnap NAS] the comment field is left blank along with the Album Artist (which all my files use that tag too), so I'm assuming is it just ignoring that field which I wish to change.

From this, it sounds like you are using JRiver to edit the tags in your files and to view and play your music. Is this correct?
05-11-2014, 14:44
(05-11-2014 04:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 00:12)Mysticisgod Wrote:  If I use my original Main Library, all comments are there in all files. But when I change the library to use MinimServer [Qnap NAS] the comment field is left blank along with the Album Artist (which all my files use that tag too), so I'm assuming is it just ignoring that field which I wish to change.

From this, it sounds like you are using JRiver to edit the tags in your files and to view and play your music. Is this correct?

The missing Comment and AlbumArtist fields are limitations of using JRiver to access an external UPnP library. To see these fields, you need to use some other UPnP control point to access your MinimServer library.
05-11-2014, 16:04
(05-11-2014 04:51)simoncn Wrote:  

Not all have edited created in JRiver, I would say the majority have been done using Metadatics and some even in iTunes.
05-11-2014, 16:12
(05-11-2014 14:44)simoncn Wrote:  The missing Comment and AlbumArtist fields are limitations of using JRiver to access an external UPnP library. To see these fields, you need to use some other UPnP control point to access your MinimServer library.

Sorry, this is all new to me. Does what you're saying mean I can't use the JRiver player is see these fields.
05-11-2014, 16:22
(05-11-2014 16:12)Mysticisgod Wrote:  Sorry, this is all new to me. Does what you're saying mean I can't use the JRiver player is see these fields.

JRiver reads local libraries in a different way than it reads UPnP libraries. When you use JRiver with a UPnP library, it reads some fields but not all fields.

If you want the best experience from using a UPnP server like MinimServer, you would need to use some other UPnP control point. For example, BubbleUPnP on Android is an excellent UPnP control point that will show you all the fields in your library.