Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver Displaying deleted genre
02-11-2014, 21:47
RE: Minimserver Displaying deleted genre
(02-11-2014 17:32)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 15:09)Coolhand Wrote:  O.k here is the log file:

THanks very much! Some questions:

1) Which is the last album that displays correctly in the abum list?

East Of The River Nile - Augustus Pablo

2) Does this album show an album art image?

Yes

3) If you click on this album, do you see its tracks?

Its behaviour has been inconsistent, many times selecting it has just made the list of 16 albums skip back to the top, just now it opened I clicked on it and the track listing opened and played normally.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 22:36
(02-11-2014 21:47)Coolhand Wrote:  East Of The River Nile - Augustus Pablo

Thanks for the quick reply.

There are no obvious problems in the XML data for this album or the next album (Eastman Dub). I wonder if there is a problem with the artwork image for the Eastman Dub album. For this album, MinimServer is using the embedded PNG image from the track file "01 Only Jah Jah Dub.aiff". Do you have some way to check whether the embedded image within this file might be corrupt?
02-11-2014, 23:53
Hi Simon,
I don't have any software which checks image integrity, but I used Yate to replace the artwork for both East Of The River Nile and Eastman Dub with newly sourced images, followed by a rescan in Minimserver.
Using Kinsky to view that playlist displays the correct album count but absolutely no artwork of the 334 albums.
Selecting one of the blank album fields does nothing at all either, whereas using the MOON MiND control point software (again deleted & re-downloaded to wipe its cache) presents me with the same 16 albums and their artwork, East Of The River Nile being the last which selects and plays normally.

Something fishy is definitely going on...
I just re-opened Kinsky after having used the MOON MiND Control to start playback of East Of The River Nile and it displays no artwork for the album whilst it continues to play and display the elapsed time... but if I return to the pane which shows:

334 albums
4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

and select Artist, then select Augustus Pablo from the list I am presented with

16 Albums
266 items
AlbumArtist
Composer

and then tap on 16 Albums, I am again presented with a list of 16 blank fields which do nothing when selected.
If however I tap on 266 items, all of them are displayed with artwork, and play when tapped ??

Hopefully the above is of some help to narrow down what is causing the glitch.
03-11-2014, 01:11
I just deleted East Of The River Nile, and the album reporting number decreased by one accordingly but still no covers are displayed in Kinsky, unless I access one of the other fields:

4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

Accessing the Artist field lets me select any artist to view their respective albums in this genre, EXCEPT those of Augustus Pablo !
Mmmmm, next I'll try deleting one album at a time of the 15 remaining Augustus Pablo titles.. it's a slow process though as I do a FULL rescan each time and I have 60K tracks in my library, maybe I'll first try a regular 'updated' rescan and see if that works...

Its interesting that although both Kinsky and MOON MiND work effectively, the first does not display the Album overview artwork in this dicky genre and second is only displaying the first 16, and actually having deleted East Of The River Nile, I now have the Eastman Dub album cover displayed (which is the next consecutive album when viewed in iTunes)
03-11-2014, 01:16
Actually there are only four more prior Augustus Pablo titles, the others are belonging to other artists.... So this might net a quicker result as the bug seems to be confined to the Augustus Pablo titles, well at least it does when using Kinsky !
03-11-2014, 01:58
Well that didn't work either !!
Yet I still felt that the bug was narrowed down to the fact that Augustus Pablo was the only artist who's albums I could not see in Kinsky, so out of frustration I deleted ALL 16 of his albums from this genre in one shot, did a quick 'update' rescan and finally I'm cooking with gas :-)

All the rest of the albums from this genre are now loading normally.... So now I shall load back one Augustus Pablo album at a time, running it through Yate which can perform an AIFF Test routine (although I have done this plus the corresponding AIFF Repair action once already to my entire library).

Perhaps Simon, as you mentioned previously, the issue may lie not in the audio files themselves but in one of the associated cover art files ?
Yate does not check these as far as I know, can you suggest an application which is able to 'test' the images for errors, whatever those may be ?
Perhaps you can also let me know how is it that 'faulty' artwork can cause an issue such as this in the first case... this is new territory for me !

Thanks once again for your perseverance
03-11-2014, 11:25
(03-11-2014 01:58)Coolhand Wrote:  Well that didn't work either !!
Yet I still felt that the bug was narrowed down to the fact that Augustus Pablo was the only artist who's albums I could not see in Kinsky, so out of frustration I deleted ALL 16 of his albums from this genre in one shot, did a quick 'update' rescan and finally I'm cooking with gas :-)

All the rest of the albums from this genre are now loading normally.... So now I shall load back one Augustus Pablo album at a time, running it through Yate which can perform an AIFF Test routine (although I have done this plus the corresponding AIFF Repair action once already to my entire library).

Perhaps Simon, as you mentioned previously, the issue may lie not in the audio files themselves but in one of the associated cover art files ?
Yate does not check these as far as I know, can you suggest an application which is able to 'test' the images for errors, whatever those may be ?
Perhaps you can also let me know how is it that 'faulty' artwork can cause an issue such as this in the first case... this is new territory for me !

Thanks once again for your perseverance

I'm pleased to hear you are making progress with narrowing down which album is causing the problem.

At present I'm not sure whether the issue is caused by faulty XML sent by MinimServer to the control point or by faulty artwork in the files.

I think it is unnecessary to do full rescans for your further experiments, as it seems clear that the problem isn't related to MinimServer caching.

Adding back the albums one at a time seems like the right approach. When you find the problem album, please let me know which album it is and I will check the XML for this album in the trace log that you posted.

I have heard of control points having problems with rendering some album art images. There is no conclusive evidence yet that this the cause of the problem you're seeing.
03-11-2014, 12:41
Yes I'll certainly let you know when I find the album which seems to be causing the glitch... one other question I have is whether it's possible to select the display of the bit rate (kbps) or sampling rate (in kHz) for the currently playing track, as viewed in the control point ?
I've noticed that during AIFF playback some tracks show one or the other in a seemingly random fashion.
However if I for example check the metadata of a given track in Yate I can see both its bit rate and sample rate.
I prefer to only see the sample rate displayed for ALL tracks, is there a flag which can be assigned within Minimserver to ensure this is the default ?

Thank you
03-11-2014, 13:00
(03-11-2014 12:41)Coolhand Wrote:  Yes I'll certainly let you know when I find the album which seems to be causing the glitch... one other question I have is whether it's possible to select the display of the bit rate (kbps) or sampling rate (in kHz) for the currently playing track, as viewed in the control point ?
I've noticed that during AIFF playback some tracks show one or the other in a seemingly random fashion.
However if I for example check the metadata of a given track in Yate I can see both its bit rate and sample rate.
I prefer to only see the sample rate displayed for ALL tracks, is there a flag which can be assigned within Minimserver to ensure this is the default ?

Thank you

It is up to the control point to choose how it displays bit rate and/or sample rate information. For AIFF files, MinimServer should be sending both bit rate and sample rate information to the control point. Are you seeing these inconsistent results in Kinsky or in the MOON control point?
04-11-2014, 05:02
I see no display of either bit rates or sample rates when playing files in Kinsky, and am not sure if it's even supposed to be a feature, the Moon control point however displays file type, bit depth/sample rate or bit rate with every track playing.

I just did some more experimenting to see how and when the display is changing from sample rate to bit rate and have now discovered that it appears to be a minor bug in the applications display routine which is actually consistent in its behaviour !

Upon first playing a track or album the bit depth/sample rate are displayed by default, only after exiting the control point app and returning to it (at which point it refreshes), does the bit depth/sample rate change to displaying bit rate instead.... and short of selecting another album one cannot get it to revert back to displaying bit depth/sample rate.

I'll let the developers know about....