Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
playing dsd files
16-10-2014, 14:05
playing dsd files
I am rather new to Minimserver. Although all PCM files plays very well, till now I wasn't able to play dsd files. My configuration is as follows:
JRiver MC19 Mediaserver (in networkmode DoP box ticked), I am using a SOtM sMS-100 miniserver, usb out to a iFi DSD MicroDac. The dsd files won't start although the small led on the iFI indicates with his color there is an dsd-file. How come?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 14:19
RE: playing dsd files
(16-10-2014 14:05)boling Wrote:  I am rather new to Minimserver. Although all PCM files plays very well, till now I wasn't able to play dsd files. My configuration is as follows:
JRiver MC19 Mediaserver (in networkmode DoP box ticked), I am using a SOtM sMS-100 miniserver, usb out to a iFi DSD MicroDac. The dsd files won't start although the small led on the iFI indicates with his color there is an dsd-file. How come?

If you are using DoP, you need to install MinimStreamer and enable dopwav transcoding. Have you done this?
16-10-2014, 16:28
No I didn't. Will do, Thanks!
16-10-2014, 17:25
I did but I wasn't able to enable dopwav transcoding. I didn't see a setup menu. In the manual I see a lot of possibilities but didn't find out where to apply
16-10-2014, 17:30
(16-10-2014 17:25)boling Wrote:  I did but I wasn't able to enable dopwav transcoding. I didn't see a setup menu. In the manual I see a lot of possibilities but didn't find out where to apply

Did you install MinimStreamer?
17-10-2014, 18:27
yes I did install Minimstreamer. It is in the minimwatchbox.
17-10-2014, 18:44
on the systemtab I see the following boxes filled in:
stream.converter: ffmpeg
stream.transcode: dsf:dopwav I add this last quotation yesterday evening and pushed Apply

If I start up JRiver I see Minimserver and my SOtM sMS-100. All wav and flac files are playing well. If I start a dsd file, the file is recognized, I might play the file but after approx. 3 seconds it jumps to the next file
17-10-2014, 20:00
(17-10-2014 18:44)boling Wrote:  on the systemtab I see the following boxes filled in:
stream.converter: ffmpeg
stream.transcode: dsf:dopwav I add this last quotation yesterday evening and pushed Apply

If I start up JRiver I see Minimserver and my SOtM sMS-100. All wav and flac files are playing well. If I start a dsd file, the file is recognized, I might play the file but after approx. 3 seconds it jumps to the next file

After you have made the dsf:dopwav change, it's a good idea to restart MinimServer to make sure JRiver has the correct URL for the transcoded file. Please do this if you haven't done it already.

With dsf:dopwav enabled in MinimServer/MinimStreamer, the file is sent from MinimServer to the renderer as a WAV file and JRiver should tell you that it's playing a WAV file. You don't need to use any DoP settings in JRiver.

Does the file play music for 3 seconds before it jumps to the next file?
17-10-2014, 23:24
yes it does
18-10-2014, 07:51 (This post was last modified: 18-10-2014 07:51 by simoncn.)
(17-10-2014 23:24)boling Wrote:  yes it does

It sounds like there may be a problem with the .dsf file. How did you create the file? Can you try playing it using some other DSD renderer (such as foobar2000) to check whether it plays OK?