Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out of memory
07-03-2012, 11:31
Sad Out of memory
No joy with 0.30 here.

When I set the content dir to my non-classical music, it gives a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.
A bit strange, as I use a decent machine with 4GB of RAM in it Huh

A quick strings | grep | wc -l of the cache file suggests that it quits after 50 or so albums. Sometimes it gets to 68, so it doesn't seem to be a fixed number.

If I set the content dir to my classical music, it runs fine with 900 or so "Albums".

If I set the content dir to a subdirectory of the non-classical stuff, it runs fine. The largest subdir I tested only had 25 albums in it though.

I deleted all cache files before starting the server.

The only change I made to the config file was to remove AlbumArtist from the albumSortTags, as its presence prevented the server from starting at all.

What can I do to help you track this down?

Cheers,
JW

Here's the full error message:
Code:
MinimServer 0.30, Copyright (c) 2012 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2746)
    at java.util.ArrayList.ensureCapacity(ArrayList.java:187)
    at java.util.ArrayList.add(ArrayList.java:378)
    at com.minimserver.Server$Album.add(Server.java:5338)
    at com.minimserver.Server$CompleteAlbum.addAudioItem(Server.java:5471)
    at com.minimserver.Server.scanFiles(Server.java:1581)
    at com.minimserver.Server.scanFiles(Server.java:1644)
    at com.minimserver.Server.doStart(Server.java:839)
    at com.minimserver.Server.start(Server.java:349)
    at org.jminim.core.ContextImpl.startComponent(ContextImpl.java:165)
    at org.jminim.core.ContextImpl.start(ContextImpl.java:85)
    at org.jminim.core.RootContextImpl.startComponent(RootContextImpl.java:36)
    at org.jminim.core.ContextImpl.start(ContextImpl.java:85)
    at org.jminim.core.RuntimeImpl.run(RuntimeImpl.java:330)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.run(LauncherImpl.java:580)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.launch(LauncherImpl.java:81)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.jav​a:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:60)
    at com.minimserver.launch.LaunchServer.main(LaunchServer.java:26)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 13:58
RE: Out of memory
(07-03-2012 11:31)rb73 Wrote:  No joy with 0.30 here.

When I set the content dir to my non-classical music, it gives a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.
A bit strange, as I use a decent machine with 4GB of RAM in it Huh

A quick strings | grep | wc -l of the cache file suggests that it quits after 50 or so albums. Sometimes it gets to 68, so it doesn't seem to be a fixed number.

If I set the content dir to my classical music, it runs fine with 900 or so "Albums".

If I set the content dir to a subdirectory of the non-classical stuff, it runs fine. The largest subdir I tested only had 25 albums in it though.

I deleted all cache files before starting the server.

The only change I made to the config file was to remove AlbumArtist from the albumSortTags, as its presence prevented the server from starting at all.

What can I do to help you track this down?

Cheers,
JW

Sorry that you've had this problem. It's an infinite loop in the new code to merge multi-disc albums into a single album. There must be something in the tags for your non-classical albums that I wasn't expecting when I wrote the code.

Please can you run MinimServer 0.30 with the --trace option and attach the resulting log file here. This should narrow things down to the specific album that's causing the problem. You can add the --trace option by editing the minimserver.config file to add the line:
.options = --trace

On Mac OS X, the minimserver.config file is in your user name's Library/MinimServer folder. On Windows 7, it's in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\data. The log file is in the same folder as the config file.

Many thanks!
Simon
07-03-2012, 14:16 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 14:35 by rb73.)
(07-03-2012 13:58)simoncn Wrote:  Sorry that you've had this problem. It's an infinite loop in the new code to merge multi-disc albums into a single album. There must be something in the tags for your non-classical albums that I wasn't expecting when I wrote the code.
Maybe the problem's that I don't have multi-disc albums Tongue

Simon Wrote:Please can you run MinimServer 0.30 with the --trace option and attach the resulting log file here.

Done. Rolleyes

Do let me know if there's anything else I can do. I'm at home with flu anyway Dodgy

JW
If I remove the "Discnumber" tags all's well...

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimserver.zip (Size: 49.91 KB / Downloads: 1)
07-03-2012, 14:41
(07-03-2012 14:16)rb73 Wrote:  Done. Rolleyes

Do let me know if there's anything else I can do. I'm at home with flu anyway Dodgy

Sorry to hear that.

Quote:JW
If I remove the "Discnumber" tags all's well...

Thanks for the log. The problem is a bug in MinimServer which can't handle a mixture of DISCNUMBER=1 and DISCNUMBER=2 tags for the same album in a single folder. I didn't find this in my testing because I keep each disc in a separate folder. I'll let you know when I have a fix for this (hopefully today).

Simon
07-03-2012, 14:51 (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 15:00 by rb73.)
(07-03-2012 14:41)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for the log. The problem is a bug in MinimServer which can't handle a mixture of DISCNUMBER=1 and DISCNUMBER=2 tags for the same album in a single folder. I didn't find this in my testing because I keep each disc in a separate folder. I'll let you know when I have a fix for this (hopefully today).
Thanks! (And the flu is on the way out, should be up and running again by the end of the week Shy )

I shouldn't have any values in the Discnumber tags anyway, as I renumber the tracks and make them part of a single album, but it may be useful for one or two exceptions I have Smile

Did you get round to adding a property for setting the servername? I didn't see it in the release notes, so I guess not?

JW
07-03-2012, 16:26
(07-03-2012 14:51)rb73 Wrote:  Thanks! (And the flu is on the way out, should be up and running again by the end of the week Shy )

I've got a fix for the "heap space" problem. If you download minimserver.jar from this link and copy it over the minimserver.jar file that came with 0.30, MinimServer should start up OK.

On Windows, minimserver.jar is usually in C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib. On Mac OS X, you need to select the MinimServer application in the Finder, then open the application bundle using Show Package Contents and go to the Contents/Resources/Java folder within the application bundle.

Please let me know if this works.

Quote:I shouldn't have any values in the Discnumber tags anyway, as I renumber the tracks and make them part of a single album, but it may be useful for one or two exceptions I have Smile

The log shows that you do have a few of these. You can search the log for DISCNUMBER=2 to find out exactly where they are. Smile

Quote:Did you get round to adding a property for setting the servername? I didn't see it in the release notes, so I guess not?

JW

It's mentioned in the complete summary of changes on the History page. You can set the new displayName property to anything you want.

Thre's also support in 0.30 for installing and running multiple instances of MinimServer on Windows or Mac by installing them under different user names.

Simon
07-03-2012, 20:21
(07-03-2012 16:26)simoncn Wrote:  I've got a fix for the "heap space" problem.
I'd already removed the Discnumber tags, but I put a few back to test it. Seems to be working fine now, even with different Discnumbers in the same directory Smile

Simon Wrote:The log shows that you do have a few of these.
Yup, and your comment about multi-disc albums triggered me to remove them all, which solved the problem Big Grin

Simon Wrote:You can set the new displayName property to anything you want.
That's great. I can now distinguish the two instances in the control points Tongue

Cheers,
JW
07-03-2012, 21:09
I had a similar memory problem, which the updated file fixed. However, I find that I have multiple instances of the same album (disk 1, 2, 3, etc). This means that I have far more albums listed than actually exist in my Library, and it looks a mess. Will this be fixed?

Other problems included:

1. Some albums that in 0.21 displayed album art now display a simple folder. This only occurs in Artist and All Artist view. In Album view all art is displayed. See below for contents of log file.

2.Albums sorted by date can only be shown in reverse oder (i.e. 20112,20111,2010). I can find no way of displaying oldest first. The same problem existed in 0.21.

Log file:

MinimServer 0.30, Copyright © 2012 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 01 All Or Nothing At All.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 02 Peel Me A Grape.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 03 I Don't Know Enough About You.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 04 I Miss You So.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 05 They Can't Take That Away From Me.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 06 Lost Mind.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 07 I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 08 You're Getting To Be A Habbit With Me.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 09 Gentle Rain.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 10 How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky).aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 11 My Love Is.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 12 Garden In The Rain.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 01 Suite 'Noah's Ark' - Part 1.aiff
Startup complete - press enter to shutdown:
command input not available
08-03-2012, 00:56
(07-03-2012 21:09)Leprish Wrote:  I had a similar memory problem, which the updated file fixed.

Thanks for confirming that the fix works for you.

Quote:However, I find that I have multiple instances of the same album (disk 1, 2, 3, etc). This means that I have far more albums listed than actually exist in my Library, and it looks a mess. Will this be fixed?

Please can you give a bit more detail about this problem. MinimServer should automatically combine multi-disc albums where the contents of each disc are tagged with the same album name (ALBUM tag) and different disc numbers (DISCNUMBER tag). If the discs are tagged with different album names (such as "Golden Hits - disc 1" and "Golden Hits - disc 2"), they will show up as different albums because MinimServer has no way of knowing that they're really the same album.

Quote:Other problems included:

1. Some albums that in 0.21 displayed album art now display a simple folder. This only occurs in Artist and All Artist view. In Album view all art is displayed. See below for contents of log file.

Please can you give a bit more detail about this as well. I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding this problem because everything in the Artist view looks correct to me. It would be very helpful if you could list the exact navigation steps that produce a list of albums without the correct art.

Quote:2.Albums sorted by date can only be shown in reverse oder (i.e. 20112,20111,2010). I can find no way of displaying oldest first. The same problem existed in 0.21.

I can add this capability. It won't be in 0.31 because I'm releasing this imminently to correct some urgent bugs, but it should be in the release after that.

Quote:Log file:

MinimServer 0.30, Copyright © 2012 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 01 All Or Nothing At All.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 02 Peel Me A Grape.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 03 I Don't Know Enough About You.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 04 I Miss You So.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 05 They Can't Take That Away From Me.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 06 Lost Mind.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 07 I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 08 You're Getting To Be A Habbit With Me.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 09 Gentle Rain.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 10 How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky).aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 11 My Love Is.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 12 Garden In The Rain.aiff
Error: ID3v2 PIC frame has invalid picture format in file 01 Suite 'Noah's Ark' - Part 1.aiff
Startup complete - press enter to shutdown:
command input not available

I'd like to understand what's causing this. I'll send you a PM with next steps for diagnosing what's causing these messages.
08-03-2012, 01:20
Quote:
Quote:However, I find that I have multiple instances of the same album (disk 1, 2, 3, etc). This means that I have far more albums listed than actually exist in my Library, and it looks a mess. Will this be fixed?

Please can you give a bit more detail about this problem. MinimServer should automatically combine multi-disc albums where the contents of each disc are tagged with the same album name (ALBUM tag) and different disc numbers (DISCNUMBER tag). If the discs are tagged with different album names (such as "Golden Hits - disc 1" and "Golden Hits - disc 2"), they will show up as different albums because MinimServer has no way of knowing that they're really the same album.

Typically, the albums contain 2, 3 or 4 discs. The Album Name for each disc is identical. However, they have have disc numbers tags applied. In Finder all of the individual tracks for the album are stored in the same folder. 0.21 handled these albums correctly. So, something has changed and for the worse.

Quote:
Quote:Other problems included:

Please can you give a bit more detail about this as well. I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding this problem because everything in the Artist view looks correct to me. It would be very helpful if you could list the exact navigation steps that produce a list of albums without the correct art.

On further investigation it seems that the folders are associated with the multi disk albums. If I double click the folder it opens and shows the individual tracks as album art rather the normal track list.

It looks like the log file is unrelated to this issue. Nevertheless, 0.21 had no such errors for any of the 480+ albums in the library

If I can find a few spare minutes tomorrow I'll create a video screenshow demonstrating the issues described above.