Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSP Plugin / Parametric EQ plugin for Minimstreamer
26-09-2014, 11:02
DSP Plugin / Parametric EQ plugin for Minimstreamer
Hello,

I've been using minim server for a solid year+ now, streaming from my synology NAS to my Linn ADS1 without a hiccup. I've installed minim streamer and tried it, but thought the SQ somewhat worse than native streaming.

I am however contemplating measuring the response of my room and correcting for it with filters server side. Is this possible, do I apply them in minim streamer or someplace else?

Ideally I'd want my music library untouched, but real time transcoded with a corrective filter in place. My NAS is a dual core Atom, (DS412+) so I guess it should be able to do the necessary fourier transforms etc.

Simon and others, do you have an idea if this is possible? Any plugins that do this? please point me in the direction, thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2014, 11:44
RE: DSP Plugin / Parametric EQ plugin for Minimstreamer
(26-09-2014 11:02)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  Hello,

I've been using minim server for a solid year+ now, streaming from my synology NAS to my Linn ADS1 without a hiccup. I've installed minim streamer and tried it, but thought the SQ somewhat worse than native streaming.

I am however contemplating measuring the response of my room and correcting for it with filters server side. Is this possible, do I apply them in minim streamer or someplace else?

Ideally I'd want my music library untouched, but real time transcoded with a corrective filter in place. My NAS is a dual core Atom, (DS412+) so I guess it should be able to do the necessary fourier transforms etc.

Simon and others, do you have an idea if this is possible? Any plugins that do this? please point me in the direction, thanks

The first step is to find out why MinimStreamer transcoding without a plug-in sounds worse than native streaming. What type of files are you using (FLAC/ALAC/MP3/etc.) and what is the resolution of these files? What transcoding settings did you apply in MinimStreamer?

MinimStreamer doesn't support EQ plug-ins at the moment. Adding support for such plug-ins developed by third parties is a possible future enhancement. I would be interested in having a discussion with anyone who is interested in developing such a plug-in.
26-09-2014, 11:45
(26-09-2014 11:02)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  I've been using minim server for a solid year+ now, streaming from my synology NAS to my Linn ADS1 without a hiccup. I've installed minim streamer and tried it, but thought the SQ somewhat worse than native streaming.

This is interesting, as others with Linn players (including Simon) have a different impression. I know that this is all subjective, and very much a matter of personal preference, but is it possible for you to say what you mean by 'somewhat worse' in this context? What format(s) are you transcoding?

FWIW, I use an ADSM (and a Kiko, but I haven't done A-B comparisons on that), and I feel that the sound is more 'open' and easier to listen to with flac:wav24 set than without. The difference is not dramatic, but it is a useful improvement for me, and of course it's a no cost option.

David
26-09-2014, 14:07
(26-09-2014 11:45)DavidHB Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 11:02)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  I've been using minim server for a solid year+ now, streaming from my synology NAS to my Linn ADS1 without a hiccup. I've installed minim streamer and tried it, but thought the SQ somewhat worse than native streaming.

This is interesting, as others with Linn players (including Simon) have a different impression. I know that this is all subjective, and very much a matter of personal preference, but is it possible for you to say what you mean by 'somewhat worse' in this context? What format(s) are you transcoding?

I used flac:wav24 and then simple wav, a while ago, while minim streamer was still an integral part of minim server (ver 0.7x something). Then I felt that the sound, especially of acoustic, singer-songwriter music, became somewhat more disjointed, ephemeral if you like. As if bodies became less real.. The difference was minuscule mind you, but as I had no problem with the default non-transcoding setting then I switched back.

The same transcoding previously on Squeezebox Touch yielded HUGE improvements, night and day. I recall asking a question to a Linn employee on the Linn forums and the answer I got was that the DS ecosystem processed flac natively, so there was no CPU overhead/penalty.

Go figure - Linn states no audio improvements in the different Davaar releases, but I tried installing the latest 19 version and couldn't downgrade fast enough back to davaar 14, which, for me at least, is head and shoulders above in SQ. YMMV of course.

My rig is relatively high resolving, but a smidgen lacking on presence, so any steps that change that balance are heard immediately. This I hope gets resolved on tuesday with my new pre-amp! wohoo!

Also, one important thing which is probably a differentiator between my impression and yours is that I do not use the ADS built-in DAC - I pipe it out to an external DAC, using spdif... On the other hand, any conversion to pcm (flac-pcm or wav-pcm) happens inside the ADS box...

I'll give it another listen during the weekend and report back..
26-09-2014, 15:14
(26-09-2014 14:07)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  Also, one important thing which is probably a differentiator between my impression and yours is that I do not use the ADS built-in DAC - I pipe it out to an external DAC, using spdif... On the other hand, any conversion to pcm (flac-pcm or wav-pcm) happens inside the ADS box...

This would make a big difference. It could be that the ADS does a better job writing PCM to SPDIF if it is also doing the FLAC to PCM decoding. Which DAC are you using?
26-09-2014, 15:22
(26-09-2014 15:14)simoncn Wrote:  This would make a big difference. It could be that the ADS does a better job writing PCM to SPDIF if it is also doing the FLAC to PCM decoding. Which DAC are you using?

The NAD M51 - it is one hell of a DAC.. the price/performance ratio is off the charts...

Never thought of what you mention, but sure, it might well be so...
26-09-2014, 16:31
@Linn_agnostik

Thanks for your clarification. It seems that our systems are much more different than I had thought, so it is entirely understandable that our experience is also different. I bought my ADSM for its SQ, that is (primarily) for its DAC ...

Will your new pre-amp have inputs that will allow you to compare the analogue output direct from the ADS 1 with the corresponding output from the MS1? That ought to be an instructive comparison.

David
13-10-2014, 18:59
(26-09-2014 16:31)DavidHB Wrote:  @Linn_agnostik

Thanks for your clarification. It seems that our systems are much more different than I had thought, so it is entirely understandable that our experience is also different. I bought my ADSM for its SQ, that is (primarily) for its DAC ...

Will your new pre-amp have inputs that will allow you to compare the analogue output direct from the ADS 1 with the corresponding output from the MS1? That ought to be an instructive comparison.

David

Yes, my new pre-amp has a multitude of inputs. Have been force burning it in for the last 250 hours, it is finally loosening up nicely. Next step is to find another identical XLR cable to I can do A/B comparisons of the ADS1 direct vs ADS1 -> NAD m51.. Unfortunately a long running case of the cold has impacted my ears. will report back during the weekend