Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MinimServer 0.62 transcodes FLAC files to WAV
09-11-2012, 21:59
MinimServer 0.62 transcodes FLAC files to WAV
MinimServer 0.62 is available for download from this page.

This release adds support for transcoding FLAC files to WAV. Read all about it here! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 14:41
RE: MinimServer 0.62 transcodes FLAC files to WAV
(09-11-2012 21:59)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer 0.62 is available for download from this page.

This release adds support for transcoding FLAC files to WAV. Read all about it here! Smile

Hi Simon,

many thanks for the transcoding support, this is very useful for me for reasons of compatibility with my Sony home theater system. As you may remember, I use BubbleUPnP Server to proxy MinimServer as it was discussed here.

The transcoding from MinimServer works great. Now I can stream FLAC in high quality directly to the Sony device without needing BubbleUPnP Server to transcode it to mp3 first. There are two things I noticed:

1) Seeking does not work when MinimServer transcoding is activated

2) I was quite surprised to see that the Sony device will play MinimServer transcoded FLAC files directly without needing proxying from BubbleUPnP Server, but it still wont play mp3 files from regular MinimServer.

Best regards,
winxi
10-11-2012, 15:12
(10-11-2012 14:41)winxi Wrote:  Hi Simon,

many thanks for the transcoding support, this is very useful for me for reasons of compatibility with my Sony home theater system. As you may remember, I use BubbleUPnP Server to proxy MinimServer as it was discussed here.

The transcoding from MinimServer works great. Now I can stream FLAC in high quality directly to the Sony device without needing BubbleUPnP Server to transcode it to mp3 first. There are two things I noticed:

1) Seeking does not work when MinimServer transcoding is activated

I presume you mean that seeking doesn't work on the Sony device, as I have tested that this works with Kinsky and a Linn DS.

What happens when you try to seek? Does the Sony device attempt to seek by sending some kind of seek request to MinimServer, or does it consider the track to be unseekable?

If you're not sure which it is, you can use 'Show log' to display the MinimServer log window and set the logging level to Trace to see what's being sent to MinimServer.

Quote:2) I was quite surprised to see that the Sony device will play MinimServer transcoded FLAC files directly without needing proxying from BubbleUPnP Server, but it still wont play mp3 files from regular MinimServer.

This might be related to missing DLNA information that the Sony device expects for MP3 files but not for WAV files. From the perspective of the Sony device, a transcoded FLAC file would appear to be a WAV file.
11-11-2012, 16:49
(10-11-2012 15:12)simoncn Wrote:  I presume you mean that seeking doesn't work on the Sony device, as I have tested that this works with Kinsky and a Linn DS.

What happens when you try to seek? Does the Sony device attempt to seek by sending some kind of seek request to MinimServer, or does it consider the track to be unseekable?

If you're not sure which it is, you can use 'Show log' to display the MinimServer log window and set the logging level to Trace to see what's being sent to MinimServer.

Yes, sorry that I was not clear enough. Seeking does not work with this Sony device, but It works for other renderers (I just tried this after your response). I tried seeking at the Sony device with BubbleUPnP and Kinsky as control points and it seems that the Sony device considers the tracks to be unseekable, as the MinimServer log doesn't show anything when trying to seek.

Quote:This might be related to missing DLNA information that the Sony device expects for MP3 files but not for WAV files. From the perspective of the Sony device, a transcoded FLAC file would appear to be a WAV file.

Thanks for your explanations, this is very likely to be the cause.
11-11-2012, 17:53
(11-11-2012 16:49)winxi Wrote:  Yes, sorry that I was not clear enough. Seeking does not work with this Sony device, but It works for other renderers (I just tried this after your response). I tried seeking at the Sony device with BubbleUPnP and Kinsky as control points and it seems that the Sony device considers the tracks to be unseekable, as the MinimServer log doesn't show anything when trying to seek.

Quote:This might be related to missing DLNA information that the Sony device expects for MP3 files but not for WAV files. From the perspective of the Sony device, a transcoded FLAC file would appear to be a WAV file.

Thanks for your explanations, this is very likely to be the cause.

These two issues might be related. Perhaps it is the lack of DLNA information with the WAV file that causes the Sony device to treat the track as unseekable.
16-11-2012, 14:14
(09-11-2012 21:59)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer 0.62 is available for download from this page.

thanks for this great news! works like expected.... and sounds better :-)

would it be possible to extend the support to ALAC (apple lossless) files?
16-11-2012, 14:30
(16-11-2012 14:14)KoS Wrote:  thanks for this great news! works like expected.... and sounds better :-)

I'm glad you like it. Smile

Quote:would it be possible to extend the support to ALAC (apple lossless) files?

With software, (almost) anything is possible. Smile

Have you tried a comparison between ALAC and an offline conversion to WAV (or AIFF) and heard a difference?
16-11-2012, 14:45
(16-11-2012 14:30)simoncn Wrote:  Have you tried a comparison between ALAC and an offline conversion to WAV (or AIFF) and heard a difference?
it's not about the difference, but the problem is that the device can't play ALAC at all and so a transcoding to WAVE would not only make it play the files, but also in a good quality :-)
16-11-2012, 15:49
(16-11-2012 14:45)KoS Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 14:30)simoncn Wrote:  Have you tried a comparison between ALAC and an offline conversion to WAV (or AIFF) and heard a difference?
it's not about the difference, but the problem is that the device can't play ALAC at all and so a transcoding to WAVE would not only make it play the files, but also in a good quality :-)

OK, I understand. This is on my list for investigation as a possible future enhancement.
09-12-2012, 22:19
ALAC to WAV transcoding
(16-11-2012 15:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 14:45)KoS Wrote:  

OK, I understand. This is on my list for investigation as a possible future enhancement.

I vote for ALAC to WAV transcoding feature as well. Simon, do you have any idea when approximately this could come true?