Poll: Would you like a searchable version of the MinimServer User guide?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Guide in PDF?
16-09-2014, 03:10
User Guide in PDF?
Is there, or could there easily be, a version of the MinimServer User guide in PDF? I ask because I often have trouble finding what I'm looking for in the online guide. A PDF version would have the advantage of being searchable, thus making it easier to find things without an index.

Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 08:51
RE: User Guide in PDF?
(16-09-2014 03:10)Mike48 Wrote:  Is there, or could there easily be, a version of the MinimServer User guide in PDF? I ask because I often have trouble finding what I'm looking for in the online guide. A PDF version would have the advantage of being searchable, thus making it easier to find things without an index.

Mike

The only way this could happen is by means of a tool that could read the existing HTML web pages and generate PDF from these pages. Do you know of such a tool?
16-09-2014, 17:21
I'll look for one. What is your preferred operating system? And, I take it, the HTML is not generated from another markup language?

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
16-09-2014, 17:42 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 20:44 by simoncn.)
(16-09-2014 17:21)Mike48 Wrote:  I'll look for one. What is your preferred operating system? And, I take it, the HTML is not generated from another markup language?

Windows would be the most convenient but I also have access to Linux and Mac. The HTML is the original source.

Another point is that I wouldn't wish to put a link to a downloadable PDF file on the MinimServer website. This is because out-of-date copies of this file would be likely to become spread around the web, which would be confusing for users. When you find a suitable tool, I presume it would be possible for any user to use it to generate their own PDF snapshot version for personal use (no redistribution allowed).
16-09-2014, 18:36
(16-09-2014 08:51)simoncn Wrote:  The only way this could happen is by means of a tool that could read the existing HTML web pages and generate PDF from these pages. Do you know of such a tool?

For Mac OS X Maverick: Dubby Snap (http://www.dsd.net/prod/mac/dubbysnap.php?lan=en).
16-09-2014, 18:42
(16-09-2014 18:36)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 08:51)simoncn Wrote:  The only way this could happen is by means of a tool that could read the existing HTML web pages and generate PDF from these pages. Do you know of such a tool?

For Mac OS X Maverick: Dubby Snap (http://www.dsd.net/prod/mac/dubbysnap.php?lan=en).

Thanks for the pointer!

It seems somewhat ironic that the manual for this tool is online HTML with no option to get a PDF version. Smile

From a quick look at the description, it seems that each web page is captured separately. I had hoped that it would be possible to create a single PDF document containing the complete User guide.
16-09-2014, 19:05
(16-09-2014 18:42)simoncn Wrote:  From a quick look at the description, it seems that each web page is captured separately. I had hoped that it would be possible to create a single PDF document containing the complete User guide.

That is the stumbling block I've encountered in my brief searches. I'll keep looking (though not this minute) -- I'd hope that there is something out there that takes the more useful approach of converting a linked series of pages into a single PDF document.

Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
16-09-2014, 20:50
(16-09-2014 18:42)simoncn Wrote:  It seems somewhat ironic that the manual for this tool is online HTML with no option to get a PDF version. Smile

Cool.
20-09-2014, 09:03
I think pdf versions of the DubbySnap manual on their websites coming soon.
23-09-2014, 09:52
I've given up trying to find a suitable tool. They free or inexpensive ones all translate only one page at a time. I did find one that claims to translate an entire site -- with links -- but that costs > US$300.

Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA