Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Recent" sorting
23-05-2015, 20:44
RE: "Recent" sorting
(23-05-2015 12:03)tarnkappe Wrote:  In which case will this happen? In most cases people either will rip there CD or buy an album as download in an online shop. (Ok, maybe they download an album illegally somewhere).

In case of ripping the creation times are all the same. So no problem here.

In case of downloading tracks, the original creation time (e.g. when the shop copied the files to there servers) could still be obtained. But it is very likely that a user copies the tracks to the NAS (or library) and the creation date is altered. Isn't it?

The biggest problem could be if someone has an existing music library and starts to use minimserver on it without touching the files somehow. In this case "recently added" would not mean recently added to minimserver, but recently added to the library directory.

If different users have different practices in handling there music collection a configuration option for the behaviour of minimserver would probably be the best. But certainly this makes the implementation more complex again. And algorithms handling dates and times are often very complicated, I find.

I understand the points you are making. I am still concerned about the complexity and possible user confusion (as well as the design and implementation cost) of doing anything more complex than creating a "Recently Added" list ordered by the date/time when MInimServer first scanned the item. I will give this some further consideration when I start work on the implementation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2015, 14:16
Hi Simon,

the best strategy probably will be to start with a not too complex implementation and see how it will behave in practice. Maybe my points are a little bit too theoretically detailed.

Greetings
Gert
25-05-2015, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 22:21 by simoncn.)
(25-05-2015 14:16)tarnkappe Wrote:  Hi Simon,

the best strategy probably will be to start with a not too complex implementation and see how it will behave in practice. Maybe my points are a little bit too theoretically detailed.

Greetings
Gert

I appreciate your suggestions. I have often found it best to start with something simple and see how well it works for users. It is usually easier to add complexity to a simple approach (if this proves to be necessary) than to remove complexity from a complex approach. In many cases, the simple approach turns out to be good enough.
10-08-2015, 20:00
I just want to go +1 on this request since this is the only feature that I really miss.

When I add a new album, I want an easy way to find it and if I could play some of the latest albums that I've added, I'd say that Minimserver is a 10/10 rating.

If I can come up with a featured request to this, is that the playlist goes through the album from 1 to 14 (if 14 is the last track) and not from 14 to 1. And then play the next recently added album, starting from the first track to the last.

Kind Regards
10-08-2015, 21:27
(10-08-2015 20:00)Shutterstrom Wrote:  I just want to go +1 on this request since this is the only feature that I really miss.

When I add a new album, I want an easy way to find it and if I could play some of the latest albums that I've added, I'd say that Minimserver is a 10/10 rating.

If I can come up with a featured request to this, is that the playlist goes through the album from 1 to 14 (if 14 is the last track) and not from 14 to 1. And then play the next recently added album, starting from the first track to the last.

Kind Regards

Thanks for this input. The approach you have described is what I have in mind (if and when this feature is added).
03-09-2015, 08:29
Hello,

When can we expect this feature to become available, as for me, the "added last month" or sort on "change date" is for me the most important way to select my music.
Thx in advance
03-09-2015, 11:32
(03-09-2015 08:29)luny Wrote:  Hello,

When can we expect this feature to become available, as for me, the "added last month" or sort on "change date" is for me the most important way to select my music.
Thx in advance

I can't give a time estimate. I am aware that many people want this feature and it is high on my "to do" list for new features.

The proposed design is to sort the list by the date a file was added, not the date it was last changed. This is because most users would not want a change to a file's tags to push the file to the top of the "recent" list.
03-09-2015, 13:25
(03-09-2015 11:32)simoncn Wrote:  The proposed design is to sort the list by the date a file was added, not the date it was last changed. This is because most users would not want a change to a file's tags to push the file to the top of the "recent" list.
Exactly my thoughts. But then, Minim would need to keep a record of when a file was added, right? How to backup&restore it if needed?
03-09-2015, 14:08
(03-09-2015 13:25)uk75 Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 11:32)simoncn Wrote:  The proposed design is to sort the list by the date a file was added, not the date it was last changed.
Exactly my thoughts. But then, Minim would need to keep a record of when a file was added, right? How to backup&restore it if needed?

File properties typically include date created, date modified and date accessed. The first of these would typically mark the point at which the file was added to the library, and I assume that this is the date Simon would use. I don't think that there is a suitable tag; if there is, MP3Tag doesn't show it, and it doesn't appear in the list of MinimServer tag mappings

A standard backup and restore would not change the file properties.

David
03-09-2015, 14:51 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 14:51 by simoncn.)
(03-09-2015 14:08)DavidHB Wrote:  File properties typically include date created, date modified and date accessed. The first of these would typically mark the point at which the file was added to the library, and I assume that this is the date Simon would use. I don't think that there is a suitable tag; if there is, MP3Tag doesn't show it, and it doesn't appear in the list of MinimServer tag mappings

A standard backup and restore would not change the file properties.

David

The file creation date isn't the same as the date when the file was added to the library. My current proposed design is to keep a list of "recent" files, ordered by the date when the file was first found by a MinimServer scan.