Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Recent" sorting
12-03-2015, 14:40
RE: "Recent" sorting
Simon

I would definitely vote for the random playlist generator (album and track). This is probably the 'extra' feature I value above most and was the sole reason I bought Asset a while back. It's such a great way to find sounds in your collection. I find that doing it manually you tend to consistently miss large tranches of music. Squeezebox (now Logitech) server used to offer this too. I would vote twice if I could Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 00:26
Hi Simon, any thoughts on when you might start looking at the 'recent' sorting functionality?
Simon
04-04-2015, 11:21
I vote for this functionality too.

For inspiration:
Kodi team has done best and very simple functionality of dateadded.
Look at http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml

There are three options:
-- 0 results in using the current datetime when adding a video;
-- 1 (default) results in prefering to use the files mtime (if it's valid) and only using the file's ctime if the mtime isn't valid;
-- 2 results in using the newer datetime of the file's mtime and ctime -->
04-04-2015, 20:13
(04-04-2015 00:26)batleys Wrote:  Hi Simon, any thoughts on when you might start looking at the 'recent' sorting functionality?
Simon

This is still on my to-do list but I can't give any time estimate.
01-05-2015, 18:38
"I would definitely vote for the random playlist generator (album and track)." BubbleUPnP does this perfectly and you can even specify the quantity you want. In my case I do 50 and then hit RELOAD and it will magically whip up 50 more randoms. Minim + Bubble is awesome.

Back on topic - one thing I am R E A L L Y missing from minim is what this thread was started for... MOST RECENT / NEWLY ADDED or however you want to phrase it.

My library is massive and I am constantly adding to it. I really miss the ability (plex does it perfectly but has no UPnP search) to be able to show the most recently added stuff...

Simon is this still on your plate and do you have a general idea of when this might happen on minim? If you can do this you have made the perfect product and you will get a donation from me. =)

Thanks.
01-05-2015, 21:21
(01-05-2015 18:38)steen Wrote:  "I would definitely vote for the random playlist generator (album and track)." BubbleUPnP does this perfectly and you can even specify the quantity you want. In my case I do 50 and then hit RELOAD and it will magically whip up 50 more randoms. Minim + Bubble is awesome.

Back on topic - one thing I am R E A L L Y missing from minim is what this thread was started for... MOST RECENT / NEWLY ADDED or however you want to phrase it.

My library is massive and I am constantly adding to it. I really miss the ability (plex does it perfectly but has no UPnP search) to be able to show the most recently added stuff...

Simon is this still on your plate and do you have a general idea of when this might happen on minim? If you can do this you have made the perfect product and you will get a donation from me. =)

Thanks.

I am still hoping to add this feature but I can't give any time estimate.
15-05-2015, 11:17
For the most recent album directory I thought about how the criteria should be to find which albums/tracks are the most recent ones.

First the question: What should the "most recent" directory shoud look like? A list of Artists, Albums or a list of tracks? Probably a hierarchical view would be the best: Artist/Album/Tracks? This requires a correct tagging of the music files, but this is ok, I think, at least I do not have an idea how to present a "most recent" list in folder view.

Now the question is how to find the most recent tracks. Simon suggested the timestamp of a file when it was added to the minimserver library for the first time. So you can change the meta data without pushing the file to the top of most recent list again, as long as the path and filename is kept the same. The problem is that I name the Artist/Album/Track filenames the same as the titles in the meta data. So changing the meta data would often lead to a new "most recent" file. Also when scanning a music directory for the first time, all tracks inside this directory would be listed add recently added, even if the albums are very old in the collection.

I think a better approach would be to find the *minimum* (oldest) date of the following dates:
a) file creation time (file modification time is not of interest as it will be always younger than the creation date, right?)
b) the datetime when the track was added to the minimserver library for the first time

Now if you modify a file, e.g. cutting a hidden track from the last track of an album and copying the two new created files back into the album folder, this would lead to a new "most recent" entry, because of the newly separated hidden track. But the album is still an old one. So it might be an idea to collect all of the datetime values a) and b) of all tracks of one album and find the oldest datetime value of these. This datetime is then tagged to all tracks of this album.

With this strategy an album would only show up in the most recent list if all the tracks are recently created and added.
15-05-2015, 22:18
(15-05-2015 11:17)tarnkappe Wrote:  For the most recent album directory I thought about how the criteria should be to find which albums/tracks are the most recent ones.

First the question: What should the "most recent" directory shoud look like? A list of Artists, Albums or a list of tracks? Probably a hierarchical view would be the best: Artist/Album/Tracks? This requires a correct tagging of the music files, but this is ok, I think, at least I do not have an idea how to present a "most recent" list in folder view.

Now the question is how to find the most recent tracks. Simon suggested the timestamp of a file when it was added to the minimserver library for the first time. So you can change the meta data without pushing the file to the top of most recent list again, as long as the path and filename is kept the same. The problem is that I name the Artist/Album/Track filenames the same as the titles in the meta data. So changing the meta data would often lead to a new "most recent" file. Also when scanning a music directory for the first time, all tracks inside this directory would be listed add recently added, even if the albums are very old in the collection.

I think a better approach would be to find the *minimum* (oldest) date of the following dates:
a) file creation time (file modification time is not of interest as it will be always younger than the creation date, right?)
b) the datetime when the track was added to the minimserver library for the first time

Now if you modify a file, e.g. cutting a hidden track from the last track of an album and copying the two new created files back into the album folder, this would lead to a new "most recent" entry, because of the newly separated hidden track. But the album is still an old one. So it might be an idea to collect all of the datetime values a) and b) of all tracks of one album and find the oldest datetime value of these. This datetime is then tagged to all tracks of this album.

With this strategy an album would only show up in the most recent list if all the tracks are recently created and added.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will consider them but I think they might add too much complexity to the implementation.
16-05-2015, 10:34
(15-05-2015 11:17)tarnkappe Wrote:  I think a better approach would be to find the *minimum* (oldest) date of the following dates:

I think there is a problem with this. Consider two files:

File A was created on 2012/1/1 and was added on 2015/5/1
File B was created on 2014/1/1 and was added on 2014/5/1

Using the approach you have suggested would make file A appear to have been added two years before file B, even though it was actually added one year after file B.
23-05-2015, 12:03
In which case will this happen? In most cases people either will rip there CD or buy an album as download in an online shop. (Ok, maybe they download an album illegally somewhere).

In case of ripping the creation times are all the same. So no problem here.

In case of downloading tracks, the original creation time (e.g. when the shop copied the files to there servers) could still be obtained. But it is very likely that a user copies the tracks to the NAS (or library) and the creation date is altered. Isn't it?

The biggest problem could be if someone has an existing music library and starts to use minimserver on it without touching the files somehow. In this case "recently added" would not mean recently added to minimserver, but recently added to the library directory.

If different users have different practices in handling there music collection a configuration option for the behaviour of minimserver would probably be the best. But certainly this makes the implementation more complex again. And algorithms handling dates and times are often very complicated, I find.