Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
64 bit configuration
12-09-2014, 04:40
64 bit configuration
Now that Google Chrome is available in 64-bit, I would like to replace the 32-bit version with it. As I probably have to install Java 32 and Java 64, I am wondering what impact it will have on MinimServer and which version of MS (32 or 64) I should run. Any tips on the best setup would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 08:36
RE: 64 bit configuration
(12-09-2014 04:40)jes Wrote:  Now that Google Chrome is available in 64-bit, I would like to replace the 32-bit version with it. As I probably have to install Java 32 and Java 64, I am wondering what impact it will have on MinimServer and which version of MS (32 or 64) I should run. Any tips on the best setup would be appreciated.

MinimSever doesn't support having both 32-bit Java and 64-bit Java installed. This is because the MinimServer launcher icon uses the .jar file association to launch MinimServer and it seems unpredictable which version of Java will be associated with the .jar extension. Some people have found that installing a Java update unexpectedly changed this association.

To make this work reliably, you would need to change the properties of the MinimServer launcher icon to explicitly run either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of javaw.exe, depending on which version of MinimServer you decide to install. If you do this, it doesn't matter whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-version of MinimServer.
12-09-2014, 08:39
Can you tell me how to change the launcher icon properties to achieve this?
12-09-2014, 08:45
(12-09-2014 08:39)jes Wrote:  Can you tell me how to change the launcher icon properties to achieve this?

You would need to find the complete path to the javaw.exe file that you want to use. This would depend on which folder you have used to install Java and which version of Java (32-bit, 64-bit, Java 7, Java 8, update level) you have installed. You would then change the shortcut target from something like:

"C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar"

to something like:

"your full Java path\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar"