Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem Installing Java on Netgear Ultra Plus NAS
10-09-2014, 12:48
RE: Problem Installing Java on Netgear Ultra Plus NAS
Simon
Thank You for your effort. It really is appreciated.
I have tried all you suggest but to no avail.
I note that the problem may lie in OS partion in the Netgear being full. I am not sure what this means and what would cause it to be full.
Anyway I have sent a message to Netgear asking for their help.They must have come across this problem.
If I get suitable information from them I will let you know. Otherwise don't know what I will do except change NAS!!
Robert
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 13:45
(10-09-2014 12:48)rduthie@bigpond.net.au Wrote:  Simon
Thank You for your effort. It really is appreciated.
I have tried all you suggest but to no avail.
I note that the problem may lie in OS partion in the Netgear being full. I am not sure what this means and what would cause it to be full.
Anyway I have sent a message to Netgear asking for their help.They must have come across this problem.
If I get suitable information from them I will let you know. Otherwise don't know what I will do except change NAS!!
Robert

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this. It has always worked for me with no problems.

Are you on the latest version of the RAIDiator firmware (4.2.26)? If not, it would be worth installing this.

Do you have SSH access to the NAS? If so, try running the command:

cat /tmp/ejre-install.log

Does this file contain any output?
11-09-2014, 11:02
Simon
Success at last!!
I went through all your advice and could not see why this would not work. In summary:
Problem does lie with the Netgear NAS. What you have to do is install the Installer and Java runtime and then shut down the NAS. Never mind it is still indicating it is downloading. Start up the NAS again and there it is!! I have now installed the Minim software - all ok.
I can now see the DSD files.
Once again thanks for your help.
Robert
11-09-2014, 11:40
(11-09-2014 11:02)rduthie@bigpond.net.au Wrote:  Simon
Success at last!!
I went through all your advice and could not see why this would not work. In summary:
Problem does lie with the Netgear NAS. What you have to do is install the Installer and Java runtime and then shut down the NAS. Never mind it is still indicating it is downloading. Start up the NAS again and there it is!! I have now installed the Minim software - all ok.
I can now see the DSD files.
Once again thanks for your help.
Robert

Robert,
I'm glad you've found the solution. This information will be helpful for others with the same problem.

Simon
18-09-2014, 14:32
(08-09-2014 13:03)simoncn Wrote:  It appears that Oracle has changed the Java SE Embedded packaging and naming convention for Java 8. It should work if you download this file:

ejre-7u60-fcs-b19-linux-arm-sflt-headless-07_may_2014.tar.gz

The latest EJRE installer package (version 0.20) can install either the Java 7 or Java 8 runtime environment. If both Java 7 and Java 8 are available on the backup share, Java 8 will be installed.
04-09-2015, 05:14 (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 05:18 by cat6man.)
Hi there, new user here.

This thread helped me get going on the same NAS but a little differently.
Picking up on the already reported procedures, my experiece:

1. install EJRE by installing ejre*.bin but required ejre*.tar.gz to be in backup share
2. install java by installing java*.tar.gz which also requires java*.tar.gz to be in backup share.
3. goes into infinite installation mode, required going down to NAS and power cycling. on power up, showed booting, then installing add-on, then finished booting
4. install minimserver by installing minim*.bin (nothing in backup required), however same infinite install loop, so another trip to basement to power cycle NAS, which then showed booting, installing add-on, then finished booting
5. turned minimserver off, then on again to verify startup (in NAS frontview under installed add-ons)
6. installed minimwatch on laptop and adjusted some settings
7. used miniwatch on laptop to install minimstreamer on NAS
8. miniwatch log shows server was very busy sorting through 90k music files, took less than 15 minutes.
9. now shows up on mconnectFree app on my android tablet.
10. next step, fine tune settings, experiment, and connect to main stereo system streaming to renderer on Sonore streaming upnp client, check sound quality with LMS server currently used
11. send donation to developer of this nice piece of s/w
04-09-2015, 12:09
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Thanks for sharing this experience. You shouldn't need to install java (step 2) as well as EJRE. I have heard of other users experiencing installation hangs on the Intel x86 ReadyNAS models and this might be related to the infinite install loop in steps 3 and 4.