Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer start as a service on Windows
05-09-2014, 10:59
MinimServer start as a service on Windows
after my WHS is patch and restart I must start minim manual Dodgy
is it possibel to start minim as a service (the WHS is like Windows 2003 Server)
After reboot no user logged on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 17:43
RE: MinimServer start as a service on Windows
(05-09-2014 10:59)lemonfreak Wrote:  after my WHS is patch and restart I must start minim manual Dodgy
is it possibel to start minim as a service (the WHS is like Windows 2003 Server)
After reboot no user logged on.

I haven't found a way to do this. It seems to be difficult with a Java program because it requires the program to use Windows APIs that can't be called from Java. Some people have tried to find a solution but I'm not aware that anyone has been successful.
06-09-2014, 08:28
I found some one but I don't know how I must start Minim:

"C:\Programme\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -cp C:\Programme\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar

is this right?
06-09-2014, 10:49
(06-09-2014 08:28)lemonfreak Wrote:  I found some one but I don't know how I must start Minim:

"C:\Programme\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -cp C:\Programme\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar

is this right?

The command is

"C:\Programme\java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar C:\Programme\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar

If you are able to get this to run as a service, please post instructions for doing this. Many thanks!
07-09-2014, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 14:49 by lemonfreak.)
ok, it works Smile

1. install windows Resource Kit

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=17657

2. set this reg Values:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MinimService\Parameters]
"Application"="\"C:\\Programme\\java\\jre7\\bin\\javaw.exe" -jar C:\\Programme\\MinimServer\\lib\mserver.jar"
"AppDirectory"="\"C:\\Programme\\MinimServer\""

3. put the srvany.exe from the Recource Kit into the minim folder

4. install the service:

instsrv MinimService "C:\Programme\MinimServer\Service\srvany.exe"

ready

after this I install minimWatch on another PC, so I can config the service

now I change from 5 years with AssetUPnP and Kinsky to MinimServer with LUMIN

thanks for Minim Wink
07-09-2014, 20:51
(07-09-2014 14:41)lemonfreak Wrote:  ok, it works Smile

Thanks for posting these instructions. They will be very helpful for other users.
08-11-2015, 23:20
(07-09-2014 20:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 14:41)lemonfreak Wrote:  ok, it works Smile

Thanks for posting these instructions. They will be very helpful for other users.

Hi Simon - Using the above I've managed to get MinimServer to start as a service on Windows Server 2012 and connect to it remotely from another system running MinimWatch. However the MinimServer starts without its configuration; i.e. it doesn't know the contentDir nor its correct displayName. Its as if its a new installation.

Minim server starts normally with the correct displayName and contentDir if I run it manualy from the command line. I first have to change directory to C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib first and then run

c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_31\bin\javaw.exe -jar "C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib\mserver.jar".

If I don't change into the lib dir first MinimServer starts in the same manner as the automated service - without its configuration.

I have the AppDirectory path defined in the service parameters key in the registry for this service. With your knowledge of Java can you please explain why its necessary to start MinimServer from the lib directory containing the mserver.jar file? And is there some way around this by passing an argument on the javaw command line with the correct startup directory and/or MinimServer configuration parameters?

I've tried several other Java service wrappers with similar results. One starts MinimServer which then puts up a file location dialog requesting the contentDir - as if its a new installation. Any hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to keep logging into this system and starting MinimServer manually.

Apart from this Java / Windows platform issue I'm very happy with MinimServer. With Jplay streamer its providing by far the best sound I've experienced from my system.

Thanks,
-
Nick
08-11-2015, 23:50 (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 23:51 by simoncn.)
MinimServer uses the startup directory location to compute the location of its configuration files. If you use a different directory for startup, MinimServer will go into test mode, which isn't supported or recommended.

Is there some reason why you can't configure the Windows service to change directory to the "lib" directory before starting MinimServer? For example, you could do this by running a cmd.exe /c script that sets the directory and then starts MinimServer.
09-11-2015, 23:11 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 23:18 by Nicks.)
(08-11-2015 23:50)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer uses the startup directory location to compute the location of its configuration files. If you use a different directory for startup, MinimServer will go into test mode, which isn't supported or recommended.

Is there some reason why you can't configure the Windows service to change directory to the "lib" directory before starting MinimServer? For example, you could do this by running a cmd.exe /c script that sets the directory and then starts MinimServer.

Thanks for the clarification.

The AppDirectory string in the registry is intended to ensure the "srvany.exe" service does indeed start MinimServer in the 'lib' directory. But I cannot get this to work using the Microsoft srvany.exe service method or alternative service wrappers - at least not on this system. Its been optimized by disabling many standard service so perhaps this is the issue. I've also tried calling a batch / script file but this doesn't work because it doesn't provide the control functions and feedback expected of services that the srvany.exe and other service wrappers provide.

So I've taken a different approach which is much easier to implement:-

1) Place the MinimServer desktop shortcut into the start-up folder of the local user account:
Enter "shell:startup" from the run command window (Window key + R) and copy the MinimServer desktop shortcut into the startup folder.

2) Enable Autologon: using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi.../autologon

Now the system boots, automatically starts a local user session and MinimServer. :-)