Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 8 Problem MinimWatch recog. Server
09-11-2012, 16:00 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 16:02 by Oroperplex.)
RE: Win 8 Problem MinimWatch recog. Server
(07-11-2012 23:00)Oroperplex Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 18:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 17:40)Oroperplex Wrote:  no problem to connect MiniMWatch to MiniMServer with my Laptop and installed Win7.

Did you do this test with:

1) MinimWatch(Win8) -> MinimServer(Win7)

or with:

2) MinimWatch(Win7) -> MinimServer(QNAP 3.7.3)

?

I've just tried combination 2) and this is working for me. So at the moment I haven't been able to confirm a problem with QNAP 3.7.3.

I'll be able to install and try MinimWatch(Win8) in the next few days.

+ combination 2) is working fine
+ combination MinimWatch(Win8Pro64) -> MinimServer(QNAP 3.7.3) is the problem
+ i did not try combination 1) because my MinimServer is installed on the QNAP

Idea problem is solved Cool

i have 2 network cards in my pc with two different ip adresses working. With Win 7 it was the same condition and MinimWatch founds the server.

With Win 8 it does not found the route to MinimServer (on Qnap). But i could connect to the Qnap itself without problems.
This morning, i disabled the network card not connected with the Qnap. Fortunately the MinimWatch Icon switched from grey to green Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 17:48
(09-11-2012 16:00)Oroperplex Wrote:  Idea problem is solved Cool

i have 2 network cards in my pc with two different ip adresses working. With Win 7 it was the same condition and MinimWatch founds the server.

With Win 8 it does not found the route to MinimServer (on Qnap). But i could connect to the Qnap itself without problems.
This morning, i disabled the network card not connected with the Qnap. Fortunately the MinimWatch Icon switched from grey to green Big Grin

I'm pleased you have found the cause of the problem. I'll try to set up the same conditions and investigate this further. Are the two different IP addresses on different subnets?
09-11-2012, 19:28 (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 19:30 by Oroperplex.)
First Router (DHCP Server) 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 /first network card (PC)
Second Router (DHCP Server) 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 /second network card (same PC)

QNAP T119 with MinimServer inside is connected to second router Router.

When i disable the first network card in the pc MinimWatch gets from grey to green and is connected to Minimserver
09-11-2012, 20:04
(09-11-2012 19:28)Oroperplex Wrote:  First Router (DHCP Server) 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 /first network card (PC)
Second Router (DHCP Server) 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 /second network card (same PC)

QNAP T119 with MinimServer inside is connected to second router Router.

When i disable the first network card in the pc MinimWatch gets from grey to green and is connected to Minimserver

That's an unusual setup, with the same subnet on two different router connections. This might be related to the problem.

Another possibility is that the ohNet control point stack is selecting one of these network cards at random, and it just happens to get the right one on Win 7 and the wrong one on Win 8.
10-11-2012, 12:47 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 12:50 by Briain.)
Hi

I'm battling with Win 8 (32 bit version) at the moment. I have MinimWatch running, but it's not spotting MinimServer (two Qnap's are running at the moment). I only have one NIC in the PC, so it's not that. I'll keep thinking (and poking about in Windows 8) but if anyone has any cool ideas, please do let me know.

Bri Smile
10-11-2012, 12:57
Well it seems to work if you enable the Java 'Public' profile in the firewall (I only had the 'Private' one enabled); I'll use it like that to set things up, then I'll disable the 'Public' one and research things in more detail a bit later.

Bri
20-04-2013, 13:44
I too have been unable to connect from Minimwatch 0.71 to MinimServer 0.71 since upgrading my main PC to Windows 8. MinimWatch runs but stays grey. Even turning off the Windows firewall makes no difference. It runs fine on another machine with Windows 7. I too have two NICs connecting to two different subnets, but disabling the 'other' one makes no difference. I have run out of ideas how to move this forward. Any suggestions most welcome.
20-04-2013, 13:59
(20-04-2013 13:44)JimR Wrote:  I too have been unable to connect from Minimwatch 0.71 to MinimServer 0.71 since upgrading my main PC to Windows 8. MinimWatch runs but stays grey. Even turning off the Windows firewall makes no difference. It runs fine on another machine with Windows 7. I too have two NICs connecting to two different subnets, but disabling the 'other' one makes no difference. I have run out of ideas how to move this forward. Any suggestions most welcome.

Please explain your NIC/subnet/network setup in more detail. Why are you connecting the PC to different subnets?

Have you got Kinsky installed on the PC? If not, please install it to help diagnose this problem. Can Kinsky see MinimServer? If so, try using Kinsky's right-click/Tools/Options/Network selection to switch between your network adapters. Can Kinsky see MinimServer using both adapters, or just one of them?
20-04-2013, 14:26
Hello again Simon, Thanks for replying.

One NIC connects the PC to my home network. The other connects to an ADSL modem which has a direct connection into the network at my place of work. On days when I work from home I use RDP via the second interface to connect to computers at work.

Yes I have Kinsky installed. It can connect to MinimServer via the 'Home LAN' network interface but not via the 'Work ADSL' interface.

MinimWatch used to work on the same PC with the same two interfaces until I rebuilt it with Windows 8. (But, stupidly, I upgraded to 0.70, then 0.71 at the same time, thus muddying the waters.)

Jim.
20-04-2013, 14:56
(20-04-2013 14:26)JimR Wrote:  Hello again Simon, Thanks for replying.

One NIC connects the PC to my home network. The other connects to an ADSL modem which has a direct connection into the network at my place of work. On days when I work from home I use RDP via the second interface to connect to computers at work.

Yes I have Kinsky installed. It can connect to MinimServer via the 'Home LAN' network interface but not via the 'Work ADSL' interface.

MinimWatch used to work on the same PC with the same two interfaces until I rebuilt it with Windows 8. (But, stupidly, I upgraded to 0.70, then 0.71 at the same time, thus muddying the waters.)

Jim.

Please try this as an experiment:

1) Close MinimWatch

2) Edit the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data\minimwatch.config to add the line

ohnet.subnet = x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is your home subnet combined with your subnet mask. For example, if your home subnet is 192.168.1.x and your mask is 255.255.255.0, you would enter

ohnet.subnet = 192.168.1.0

3) Restart MinimWatch