Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for Simon
31-08-2014, 18:21 (This post was last modified: 31-08-2014 18:24 by swansatspree.)
Support for Simon
OK, I just got here, less than a week ago.

But I see a need and so I put this to all MinimSever users.

Can we all pull together and provide support Simon might need to write a Control Point to compliment his server.

We all know how great his server is and as such will come to expect a control point that's just as good. And the whole thing will be a complete package; server and client (Control Point) from the same genius.

I think this is a great need and the same Control Point could be ported to portable devices such as tablets, etc. I know for sure, that there's no useful application on the OSX platform that's free to use as a Control Point. None.

What do others here think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 18:32
RE: Support for Simon
(31-08-2014 18:21)swansatspree Wrote:  OK, I just got here, less than a week ago.

But I see a need and so I put this to all MinimSever users.

Can we all pull together and provide support Simon might need to write a Control Point to compliment his server.

We all know how great his server is and as such will come to expect a control point that's just as good. And the whole thing will be a complete package; server and client (Control Point) from the same genius.

I think this is a great need and the same Control Point could be ported to portable devices such as tablets, etc. I know for sure, that there's no useful application on the OSX platform that's free to use as a Control Point. None.

What do others here think?

Thanks for the compliments. This isn't a possibility for me at the moment. BubbleUPnP is an excellent control point that works well with MinimServer and in my opinion it is worth the cost of buying an Android device to run it if you don't have one already.
31-08-2014, 19:45
Yes, BubbleUPnP is great. Before starting something new I would vote for a special feature in minimserver that I am hoping for since the beginning of this year Wink
31-08-2014, 20:51
I like the idea. But for an Apple user like me Minim Server is the best music server software available but still miles away of what I'm expecting from a non-technical user's standpoint. So I guess Simon would have to learn a quite new approach to make his software easier to use for users like me.
31-08-2014, 20:56
(31-08-2014 20:51)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  I like the idea. But for an Apple user like me Minim Server is the best music server software available but still miles away of what I'm expecting from a non-technical user's standpoint. So I guess Simon would have to learn a quite new approach to make his software easier to use for users like me.

You know, that can all be accomplished, very quickly. An installer package, combined with a scenario-based user-interface for a non-technical user would an interesting challenge to design, but the result would be small and easy to implement; all of the pieces are there in MinimServer/Streamer.
01-09-2014, 12:23
Given your recommendation Simon i've started looking seriously at BubbleUpnp as a controller and buying an Android tablet. My preferred server is minimServer which I currently control with Audionet on an iPad mini. Unfortunately the latter has a major limitation for me. I have a large collection of classical music tracks which I'm continuing to add to. While it is very straightforward to update the files on the server using minimserver it is not so with Audionet controller. The only way i have found to do this is to delete the app from my iPad and then re-install it! As a result I'm currently using JRiver running on a Mac Mini and JRemote on the iPad. I'd like to not have to use the Mac Mini and go back to using minimserver installed on my NAS, hence my interest in bubbleupnp and a simple question:
Is it possible to update the library details held on bubbleupnp?
David

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
01-09-2014, 12:40
(01-09-2014 12:23)DavidL Wrote:  Given your recommendation Simon i've started looking seriously at BubbleUpnp as a controller and buying an Android tablet. My preferred server is minimServer which I currently control with Audionet on an iPad mini. Unfortunately the latter has a major limitation for me. I have a large collection of classical music tracks which I'm continuing to add to. While it is very straightforward to update the files on the server using minimserver it is not so with Audionet controller. The only way i have found to do this is to delete the app from my iPad and then re-install it! As a result I'm currently using JRiver running on a Mac Mini and JRemote on the iPad. I'd like to not have to use the Mac Mini and go back to using minimserver installed on my NAS, hence my interest in bubbleupnp and a simple question:
Is it possible to update the library details held on bubbleupnp?
David

Yes, it's very easy. There is a list of server devices, including (at least) MinimServer and a local server provided by BubbleUPnP. By clicking on another server (e.g., the local BubbleUPnP server) and then clicking back to MinimServer, the complete MinimServer library view is refreshed.
01-09-2014, 13:15
(01-09-2014 12:40)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, it's very easy. There is a list of server devices, including (at least) MinimServer and a local server provided by BubbleUPnP. By clicking on another server (e.g., the local BubbleUPnP server) and then clicking back to MinimServer, the complete MinimServer library view is refreshed.

Thank you very much - before going further I'll try this with Audionet.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
01-09-2014, 13:17
(01-09-2014 12:40)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, it's very easy. There is a list of server devices, including (at least) MinimServer and a local server provided by BubbleUPnP. By clicking on another server (e.g., the local BubbleUPnP server) and then clicking back to MinimServer, the complete MinimServer library view is refreshed.

Or simply menu > Reload, whether at the root or in any folder.
01-09-2014, 13:57
Once BubbleUPnP is avail for iOS I am sure I will use it. But Android is a complete show-stopper over here Shy