Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP protocol specifics for QoS priority
27-08-2014, 10:37
UPnP protocol specifics for QoS priority
Hi,

I am trying to experiment a little w QoS in my network, as I am forced to use a 5 Ghz wifi bridge to my streamer (old apartment, cannot run cat5). What specific protocol is upnp running between the server and streamer? is it http? or something else?

Have dropouts sometimes when the laptops connect to the 5Ghz band and hog up all resources..

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 10:48
RE: UPnP protocol specifics for QoS priority
(27-08-2014 10:37)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  Hi,

I am trying to experiment a little w QoS in my network, as I am forced to use a 5 Ghz wifi bridge to my streamer (old apartment, cannot run cat5). What specific protocol is upnp running between the server and streamer? is it http? or something else?

Have dropouts sometimes when the laptops connect to the 5Ghz band and hog up all resources..

Thanks in advance!

For music streaming, HTTP is used. Browsing uses a slightly different protocol that is similar to HTTP but not exactly the same.
27-08-2014, 10:58
OK, thanks..
Then will experiment with MAC addresses instead.

Simon, just a suggestion - on the web page with status of minim server, can you please display uptime as well? Of the server itself, so that one can see whether scheduled rescans work or not...
27-08-2014, 11:41
(27-08-2014 10:58)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  OK, thanks..
Then will experiment with MAC addresses instead.

Simon, just a suggestion - on the web page with status of minim server, can you please display uptime as well? Of the server itself, so that one can see whether scheduled rescans work or not...

How are you doing scheduled rescans?
27-08-2014, 14:04
echo restart > /volume1/@tmp/minimstdinpipe into my synology NAS task scheduler, as per previous instructions from you?
Or, has something changed?
27-08-2014, 20:20
(27-08-2014 14:04)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  echo restart > /volume1/@tmp/minimstdinpipe into my synology NAS task scheduler, as per previous instructions from you?
Or, has something changed?

A restart command won't do a rescan. For this, you would need to echo a rescan command.
28-08-2014, 20:45
(27-08-2014 20:20)simoncn Wrote:  A restart command won't do a rescan. For this, you would need to echo a rescan command.

OK, thanks for this, had the impression that they were previously connected (restart initiated a rescan as well). Is that a recent architectural change or have I missed a status quo?
28-08-2014, 21:32 (This post was last modified: 28-08-2014 21:33 by simoncn.)
(28-08-2014 20:45)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  OK, thanks for this, had the impression that they were previously connected (restart initiated a rescan as well). Is that a recent architectural change or have I missed a status quo?

In 0.72 and previously, restart did a rescan as well. From 0.8.1 onwards, restart doesn't do a rescan, so you need to use rescan to get a rescan (which includes a restart). In the future, I am hoping to change rescan to just do a rescan without a restart.

Given all this, I think it would be better to add the time of the last rescan to the status page.