Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagging in DSD128 "DFF" File Issues
15-08-2014, 10:58
Tagging in DSD128 "DFF" File Issues
Hi Forum. I am having some issues regarding tags associated with ".dff" files.

I have a DSD128 album, downloaded from the fine folks at 2L, and Minimserver catalogs them as "untagged". I know the tags must be there because JRiver MC19 is able to read them and categorize the music.

I am wondering if someone can point me to a utility or something that can modify tags in ".dff" files or otherwise know how to get Minimserver to recognize the information that is already embedded. I looked through the "tagging" forum but couldn't find any help.

Thanks in advance and have a good day!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 11:41
RE: Tagging in DSD128 "DFF" File Issues
(15-08-2014 10:58)BlueSky Wrote:  Hi Forum. I am having some issues regarding tags associated with ".dff" files.

I have a DSD128 album, downloaded from the fine folks at 2L, and Minimserver catalogs them as "untagged". I know the tags must be there because JRiver MC19 is able to read them and categorize the music.

I am wondering if someone can point me to a utility or something that can modify tags in ".dff" files or otherwise know how to get Minimserver to recognize the information that is already embedded. I looked through the "tagging" forum but couldn't find any help.

The DFF format specification doesn't support tagging. The DSF format specification does support tagging, so you can view your tags in MinimServer by converting the DFF file to DSF format.

Some programs have used a nonstandard extension to the DFF specification to add tags to DFF files. It sounds like JRiver supports this nonstandard extension. MinimServer doesn't support it.

There are a few programs that can convert DFF files to DSF, but I don't know whether they would preserve any nonstandard tags in the DFF file. As you have JRiver, you can try using the JRiver converter as described on this page.
15-08-2014, 15:18 (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 15:22 by BlueSky.)
(15-08-2014 11:41)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 10:58)BlueSky Wrote:  Hi Forum. I am having some issues regarding tags associated with ".dff" files.

The DFF format specification doesn't support tagging. The DSF format specification does support tagging, so you can view your tags in MinimServer by converting the DFF file to DSF format.

Some programs have used a nonstandard extension to the DFF specification to add tags to DFF files. It sounds like JRiver supports this nonstandard extension. MinimServer doesn't support it.

There are a few programs that can convert DFF files to DSF, but I don't know whether they would preserve any nonstandard tags in the DFF file. As you have JRiver, you can try using the JRiver converter as described on this page.

Thanks Simon. I appreciate the information. Just to reconfirm, Minimserver will process and work with DSD128 (.dff) files without a problem, correct? Thanks much!
15-08-2014, 16:52
(15-08-2014 15:18)BlueSky Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I appreciate the information. Just to reconfirm, Minimserver will process and work with DSD128 (.dff) files without a problem, correct? Thanks much!

MinimServer supports this and it should be fine as long as the renderer can handle DSD128 (native or DoP/WAV) over an Ethernet connection. The same would apply with DSF files.