Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from new user
11-08-2014, 08:34
Hello from new user
A quick post to say Hi to everyone here and thank you to Simon for such a great piece of software!

I have about 400GB of music in 40K files, mostly in FLAC and mirrored in AAC for the iP#d ecosystem. I still buy quite a few of the little silver things (including a meaningful number of SACDs). My collection is primarily classical, a fair bit of jazz and some other stuff.

In terms of infrastructure, I use a Synology DS213+, Oppo BDP-105, Arcam amplifier, Dynaudio speakers, Minimserver, Kinsky and I have a Sonos system. Use iPhone/iPad as control h/w. I have fibre internet, a mix of wired, mains-extended and wireless ethernet.

Previously I was struggling with Synology Audiostation & DS Audio, playing into the Oppo's async USB input from the DS213.

Tags in my classical rips include Artist, ArtistSort, AlbumArtist (for contributing artists), AlbumArtistSort, Composer, ComposerSort, Conductor, ConductorSort, Album "Composer: work (artist date)", AlbumSort, Title (usually movement name), Track (movement # of work), work, Genre (Classical/Jazz/Pop/Spoken), Opus, Period, Style (Choral/Chamber/Orchestral/etc), Instrument, Location (of recording), Date (year of recording), Label, Catalog #, Soloists, SoloistsSort, Orchestra (Band), Chorus, Source (CD/SACD/download and resolution).

I use dbPowerAmp for ripping & transcoding and tag clean-up in Mp3Tag.

I haven't worked out how to make sorting work the way I'd like it to with Minimserver yet, but I'm still reading and learning. If I can, I'd like to use the 2 tag approach to sorting (as should be clear from the list above).

It has been a fantastic experience to install Minimserver, add a couple of entries to the config page, then start browsing my collection by fields like instrument, period, style, recording location, label - finally unlocking all that info I've been typing into my tags for years!

I only wish the experience with the server was echoed in the renderer. I've really struggled to get the Oppo to reliably play back streamed FLAC files (similar to issues shared by many others), though my latest configuration seems better than with DS Audio / Audiostation. I've got Kinsky installed on my iPhone - playback stops after a few tracks, not sure if this is the iPhone going to sleep - need to play more.

Jamie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 10:25
RE: Hello from new user
(11-08-2014 08:34)jamief Wrote:  A quick post to say Hi to everyone here and thank you to Simon for such a great piece of software!

I have about 400GB of music in 40K files, mostly in FLAC and mirrored in AAC for the iP#d ecosystem. I still buy quite a few of the little silver things (including a meaningful number of SACDs). My collection is primarily classical, a fair bit of jazz and some other stuff.

In terms of infrastructure, I use a Synology DS213+, Oppo BDP-105, Arcam amplifier, Dynaudio speakers, Minimserver, Kinsky and I have a Sonos system. Use iPhone/iPad as control h/w. I have fibre internet, a mix of wired, mains-extended and wireless ethernet.

Previously I was struggling with Synology Audiostation & DS Audio, playing into the Oppo's async USB input from the DS213.

Tags in my classical rips include Artist, ArtistSort, AlbumArtist (for contributing artists), AlbumArtistSort, Composer, ComposerSort, Conductor, ConductorSort, Album "Composer: work (artist date)", AlbumSort, Title (usually movement name), Track (movement # of work), work, Genre (Classical/Jazz/Pop/Spoken), Opus, Period, Style (Choral/Chamber/Orchestral/etc), Instrument, Location (of recording), Date (year of recording), Label, Catalog #, Soloists, SoloistsSort, Orchestra (Band), Chorus, Source (CD/SACD/download and resolution).

I haven't worked out how to make sorting work the way I'd like it to with Minimserver yet, but I'm still reading and learning. If I can, I'd like to use the 2 tag approach to sorting (as should be clear from the list above).

It has been a fantastic experience to install Minimserver, add a couple of entries to the config page, then start browsing my collection by fields like instrument, period, style, recording location, label - finally unlocking all that info I've been typing into my tags for years!

I only wish the experience with the server was echoed in the renderer. I've really struggled to get the Oppo to reliably play back streamed FLAC files (similar to issues shared by many others), though my latest configuration seems better than with DS Audio / Audiostation. I've got Kinsky installed on my iPhone - playback stops after a few tracks, not sure if this is the iPhone going to sleep - need to play more.

Jamie

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I'm interested to hear about your extensive tagging system. A few comments on this and other points you mentioned:

Using AlbumArtist for contributing artists won't work with MinimServer because MinimServer has a limitation of one AlbumArtist value per album.

I didn't know that Synology DS Audio could be used to feed the async USB input of the OPPO. What problems did you have when doing this?

If you can describe how you would like sorting to work, I will suggest some settings that should work with your tagging system.

What problem are you having with playing FLAC files on the OPPO? Is it the problem with Kinsky stopping playback or something else? Kinsky has known issues with stopping if the renderer isn't an OpenHome renderer such as the Linn DS.
11-08-2014, 16:06
(11-08-2014 08:34)jamief Wrote:  It has been a fantastic experience to install Minimserver, add a couple of entries to the config page, then start browsing my collection by fields like instrument, period, style, recording location, label - finally unlocking all that info I've been typing into my tags for years!
Thanks for introducing yourself. It really is wonderful when you get to see all the fields that _you_ want, not the ones (usually a very few) that somebody else decided you needed to see! Big Grin Thanks again to Simon for giving us this kind of control.

I admire your dedication to tagging. I have maybe 2/3 of the fields that you use and still find it a pain to enter metadata sometimes.
11-08-2014, 20:52
(11-08-2014 10:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 08:34)jamief Wrote:  A quick post to say Hi to everyone here and thank you to Simon for such a great piece of software!

Jamie

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

I'm interested to hear about your extensive tagging system. A few comments on this and other points you mentioned:

Using AlbumArtist for contributing artists won't work with MinimServer because MinimServer has a limitation of one AlbumArtist value per album.

I didn't know that Synology DS Audio could be used to feed the async USB input of the OPPO. What problems did you have when doing this?

If you can describe how you would like sorting to work, I will suggest some settings that should work with your tagging system.

What problem are you having with playing FLAC files on the OPPO? Is it the problem with Kinsky stopping playback or something else? Kinsky has known issues with stopping if the renderer isn't an OpenHome renderer such as the Linn DS.

AlbumArtist use isn't a deal-breaker for me - its more like extended tag info I'd like a renderer to be able to display. I tend to use commas or semi-colons to list multiple artists, getting into trouble with systems that like to turn these into line breaks. Again, multiple values in tags is a feature I have used, but is non-critical.

Synology - Audiostation as the server will play to a USB device, including the Oppo. DS Audio as a control point mirrors this functionality. It supports high resolution. Some files play, some don't (a Synology issue I guess, as it is creating the output stream). Sometimes the DS213 sees the Oppo, sometimes it doesn't. Very flaky. I've had more reliability playing FLAC files straight from the Oppo UI, though this is not a viable option for a large collection.

Sorting - I think that I have this properly configured now and it does what I want (Composer list uses ComposerSort tag, likewise for Album, Artist,
Conductor). I'm also using the alphaGrouping - great feature.

I chose Kinsky as a control point because it was at the top of the list on this web site. It seems fine when it works. If I cue up and play an album with a number of tracks, it stops after a few tracks. If I try switching from one track to another, the old track just keeps playing. I'm not sure if this is a render or control point issue.

Jamie
11-08-2014, 21:06
(11-08-2014 20:52)jamief Wrote:  AlbumArtist use isn't a deal-breaker for me - its more like extended tag info I'd like a renderer to be able to display. I tend to use commas or semi-colons to list multiple artists, getting into trouble with systems that like to turn these into line breaks. Again, multiple values in tags is a feature I have used, but is non-critical.

AlbumArtist has a number of special uses in MinimServer. A single value with semicolon separators (consistent across all tracks of an album) will be accepted by MinimServer but you might find it causes strange behaviour if you have the tracks of an album split across different folders and possibly in some other ways.

To avoid these problems, I would recommend that you use the aliasTags property to rename this tag to something else such as ExtraInfo. You can then use a tagFormat setting to get this information displayed by the renderer.

Quote:I chose Kinsky as a control point because it was at the top of the list on this web site. It seems fine when it works. If I cue up and play an album with a number of tracks, it stops after a few tracks. If I try switching from one track to another, the old track just keeps playing. I'm not sure if this is a render or control point issue.

Jamie

Possibly a bit of both. Kinsky doesn't seem to work correctly with non-OpenHome renderers, and it isn't clear what's causing the problem.

The best control point for doing this is BubbleUPnP. You'll need to buy an Android device to run this if you don't already have one.
12-08-2014, 16:35
(11-08-2014 08:34)jamief Wrote:  I only wish the experience with the server was echoed in the renderer. I've really struggled to get the Oppo to reliably play back streamed FLAC files (similar to issues shared by many others), though my latest configuration seems better than with DS Audio / Audiostation. I've got Kinsky installed on my iPhone - playback stops after a few tracks, not sure if this is the iPhone going to sleep - need to play more.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
I use Synology DS Audio Station extensively, it's my go to Media Server/Player when all else fails. I have tested quite a lot of DAC's with it and remembered when I tested the Oppo BDP105 that I have no problems with.

So I tested it again today and had the following findings

DS-AudioStation >> Oppo USB In (USB Speakers Selected). I managed to playback WAV, AIFF & FLAC files from 44.1kHz to 192Khz. No a single pop or problem.

DS-AudioStation >> Oppo DNLA Renderer. The same files performed without a pop during playback. Start of playback was slower (in some cases 5 secs before it picked up.

Raspberry Pi & Volumio >> Oppo USB In. Limited testing but 1 or 2 pops in 3-4 tracks.

If you could change one end of your problem with something else or another unit (thinking aloud you may have a faulty bit [Synology or Oppo]. Got any mates with some stuff you can test ?

Other notes
-The Oppo Unit is not the same one that I tested before
-Works with Synology DS214play OK too
-Nothing else plugged into other USB port of Synology

You will find attached screenshots of hardware/firmware/etc. of DS & Oppo.

Maybe the FLAC files that you have are different to mine. Are they compressed ? Can you upload one that you have problems with somewhere ?

Try the file Test192.zip on your system.
http://nwt-stuff.com/music.html

Kevin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-08-2014, 13:16
(12-08-2014 16:35)NWTStuff Wrote:  DS-AudioStation >> Oppo USB In (USB Speakers Selected). I managed to playback WAV, AIFF & FLAC files from 44.1kHz to 192Khz. No a single pop or problem.

DS-AudioStation >> Oppo DNLA Renderer. The same files performed without a pop during playback. Start of playback was slower (in some cases 5 secs before it picked up.

Raspberry Pi & Volumio >> Oppo USB In. Limited testing but 1 or 2 pops in 3-4 tracks.

If you could change one end of your problem with something else or another unit (thinking aloud you may have a faulty bit [Synology or Oppo]. Got any mates with some stuff you can test ?

Other notes
-The Oppo Unit is not the same one that I tested before
-Works with Synology DS214play OK too
-Nothing else plugged into other USB port of Synology

You will find attached screenshots of hardware/firmware/etc. of DS & Oppo.

Maybe the FLAC files that you have are different to mine. Are they compressed ? Can you upload one that you have problems with somewhere ?

Try the file Test192.zip on your system.
http://nwt-stuff.com/music.html

Kevin

Kevin

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in my response.

I think that I have some networking problems (maybe the Gigabit switch I use) as most of the issues are control rather than PB (though I've previously experience dropouts on earlier Oppo f/w). Though my view is it is a combination of buggy software and user trouble (e.g. forgetting to disconnect / reconfigure control connections on the Oppo).

To be honest, I have often given up due to lack of time / patience when I spend 20 minutes trying to get a networked track to play, and often resort to spinning a disc. The issue of the Oppo not allowing a wired n/w connection simultaneously with USB caught me out for a while. I certainly see the 5s delay with Oppo UPnP that you describe.

I'll try to do some more experiments as I would like to get this right. For now, I have BubbleUPnP working with all flavour of bit depths / sampling rates.

I couldn't persuade DS Audio to log into my DS213 - either admin or guest account. I'll try reinstalling it. I'm a bit reticent to go back to USB as the browsing experience and reliability are poor, and it means take the unit out of its shelf and rewiring again - however, I do miss gapless pb.