Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jriver showing duplicate minim filenames
05-08-2014, 15:47
jriver showing duplicate minim filenames
Files served by minim show up twice in JRiver. Some guidance would be much appreciated. As I am unsure if this is Minim or Jriver related, I have posted this question on computer audiophile forum as well.

My setup:
Synology NAS running Minim server. Controlled by Plugplayer. Rendered by Audio Research Reference DAC.
I use Jriver to manage/sort/tag the music files (mostly WAV).

In Jriver under filename I get: Volumes/Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Trackname]
But the same file also shows up as: http://[lan NAS address]:[port]/minimserver/*/Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Trackname]

This happens throughout the library. If I delete all http://etc files they automatically are recreated (not at once, but over time).

Any ideas what may be causing this issue? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 16:19
RE: jriver showing duplicate minim filenames
(05-08-2014 15:47)PieterM Wrote:  Files served by minim show up twice in JRiver. Some guidance would be much appreciated. As I am unsure if this is Minim or Jriver related, I have posted this question on computer audiophile forum as well.

My setup:
Synology NAS running Minim server. Controlled by Plugplayer. Rendered by Audio Research Reference DAC.

But the same file also shows up as: http://[lan NAS address]:[port]/minimserver/*/Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Trackname]

This happens throughout the library. If I delete all http://etc files they automatically are recreated (not at once, but over time).

It seems like JRiver is seeing each file through a local file path to the mounted NAS drive containing your files and also through the HTTP URL created by MinimServer. You should be able to fix this by adjusting your library settings in JRiver.
05-08-2014, 17:59
(05-08-2014 16:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 15:47)PieterM Wrote:  Files served by minim show up twice in JRiver. Some guidance would be much appreciated. As I am unsure if this is Minim or Jriver related, I have posted this question on computer audiophile forum as well.

My setup:

It seems like JRiver is seeing each file through a local file path to the mounted NAS drive containing your files and also through the HTTP URL created by MinimServer. You should be able to fix this by adjusting your library settings in JRiver.

Thank you, I'll go over the library options in jriver once again, see if I may be overlooked something there.
06-08-2014, 09:06
PieterM

I would check the following:-

Tools > Import > Configure Auto Import

[Image: Media-Import.JPG]

You should only have your local Music here (or your NAS Drive Mount)

Minim Server is a DNLA Library that broadcasts it's own Content. So I would suggest that you don't need to Import any content from Minim. The best way is to Load the Minim Server Library into JRiver see image below:-

[Image: Library-Broadcast.JPG]

Just Load the Minim library instead of the default "Main Library".

This should ensure that you have the following relationship
Music Server - Minim
Music Controller - J River
Music Renderer - Audio Research

Good Luck

Kevin
06-08-2014, 18:21
Thank you Kevin.

I have no directories listed in the auto-import panel, so this should not be causing the issue. I switched off the option to "use the media network to share the library and activate the DLNA server". That cured the problem.

Downside is that I cannot use Jriver as a control point anymore. Mostly I use Plugplayer on Ipad anyway. But ofcourse I'd rather find a better solution.
06-08-2014, 18:41
(06-08-2014 18:21)PieterM Wrote:  Downside is that I cannot use Jriver as a control point anymore. Mostly I use Plugplayer on Ipad anyway. But ofcourse I'd rather find a better solution.

You could try turning that back on and playing with the sub options in the advanced tab :-
Media Server OFF - cos it's MS
Media Renderer OFF - cos it's your streamer
Music Controller ON - could be the one

Then load the MinimServer Library.

A bit theoretical but works in my case Big Grin
06-08-2014, 19:24
(06-08-2014 18:41)NWTStuff Wrote:  You could try turning that back on and playing with the sub options in the advanced tab :-
Media Server OFF - cos it's MS
Media Renderer OFF - cos it's your streamer
Music Controller ON - could be the one

Then load the MinimServer Library.

A bit theoretical but works in my case Big Grin

This had me confused as well. It took me a while to realise that to get JRiver to work as a UPnP control point or renderer (not a server) I had to select the option to enable the UPnP server.
08-08-2014, 08:43
(06-08-2014 18:21)PieterM Wrote:  Downside is that I cannot use Jriver as a control point anymore. Mostly I use Plugplayer on Ipad anyway. But ofcourse I'd rather find a better solution.

Pieter,
I agree that there is possibly a hole in the market for a windows or mac based Music Controller. JRiver V20 is on it's way, little or no information on the new features and another $20 being required for the pleasure. I get the feeling sometimes that we are paying JRiver to fix bugs !!!

Using JRiver as a music controller is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. However the Library Management and Zoning Features are much better than anything else I have come across.

Anyone got any suggestions for some nice free software ?
08-08-2014, 12:09
(08-08-2014 08:43)NWTStuff Wrote:  Pieter,
I agree that there is possibly a hole in the market for a windows or mac based Music Controller. JRiver V20 is on it's way, little or no information on the new features and another $20 being required for the pleasure. I get the feeling sometimes that we are paying JRiver to fix bugs !!!

Using JRiver as a music controller is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. However the Library Management and Zoning Features are much better than anything else I have come across.

Anyone got any suggestions for some nice free software ?

Using JRiver as a control point with MinimServer has a big limitation: it doesn't show the MinimServer browse tree. Instead, it imports the MinimServer library and shows its own browse tree. This enables you to play music but you are missing out on one of the key features of MinimServer (Intelligent Browsing).
08-08-2014, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 23:26 by magister.)
(08-08-2014 08:43)NWTStuff Wrote:  Anyone got any suggestions for some nice free software ?
On Windows, try foobar2000. Setup can be a pain (there is help on the 'net if you don't have an audiobuddy who knows foobar). But with the right plugins, it will play double-rate DSD and use MinimServer's browse tree when run as a UPnP controller. Various tablet/phone remote controls available. And it does gapless. You can adjust tagging within foobar, particularly useful when you spot an error and don't want to fire up a tag editor like mp3tag. And--something I have seen nowhere else and find very useful--it will show you the properties of a file. Sometimes I need to locate a file and can't remember the where I put it, or I want to see the 'Comments' field while listening. Did I mention that it's free? Smile