Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question; digital path from ext SSD on router
05-08-2014, 08:03
question; digital path from ext SSD on router
Newbie here. I just installed minimserver on my Mac and for the library folder I selected the SSD that is connected via USB to my NetGear R7000 router. Control app on my iPad sees minim server and shows the library.

I'm wondering what path the music files take on their way from SSD to renderer? Do they pass through my Mac? e.g.:
1. SSD-router-Mac-router-renderer; or
2. SSD-router-renderer

My aim is to compare different network setups and see whether I can detect any effect on SQ. Specifically, +/- potential sources of noise like computer, NAS and switches being…
a) in the signal path; or
b) physically connected via cables.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 09:27
RE: question; digital path from ext SSD on router
(05-08-2014 08:03)JDOz Wrote:  Newbie here. I just installed minimserver on my Mac and for the library folder I selected the SSD that is connected via USB to my NetGear R7000 router. Control app on my iPad sees minim server and shows the library.

I'm wondering what path the music files take on their way from SSD to renderer? Do they pass through my Mac? e.g.:
1. SSD-router-Mac-router-renderer; or
2. SSD-router-renderer

My aim is to compare different network setups and see whether I can detect any effect on SQ. Specifically, +/- potential sources of noise like computer, NAS and switches being…
a) in the signal path; or
b) physically connected via cables.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Because you are running MinimServer on your Mac, you are getting signal path 1. If you are familiar with Linux, you might be able to install MinimServer on your router using an SSH command prompt, which would give you signal path 2.
05-08-2014, 09:56
Wow, thanks for the rapid response. Smile I'm way too computer illiterate do try what you suggested myself but I'd really love to get minimserver on that router so if there is a chance it would work, I'll ask around locally for help.

Are there any weblinks or key info about the procedure that I could pass onto friends with knowledge of linux to describe what I'd be asking them to do?

Thanks again
05-08-2014, 10:12 (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 10:13 by simoncn.)
(05-08-2014 09:56)JDOz Wrote:  Wow, thanks for the rapid response. Smile I'm way too computer illiterate do try what you suggested myself but I'd really love to get minimserver on that router so if there is a chance it would work, I'll ask around locally for help.

Are there any weblinks or key info about the procedure that I could pass onto friends with knowledge of linux to describe what I'd be asking them to do?

Thanks again

The procedure is described in the Linux installation instructions on this page. Depending on whch version of Linux the router uses, these instructions might need to be adapted slightly.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with this.
05-08-2014, 14:21
I'll see if I can learn to drive a Linux, bribe my computer-savvy friends with good wine Wink and then let you know how it turns out.

Cheers.