Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netgear Ready NAS
20-07-2014, 02:53
Netgear Ready NAS
I have a Netgear Ready NAS RN31400, will Java and Minimserver install on this unit? Instructions mention no support for 1xx and 3xx models, does that include the RN31400? If so, are there plans to support this unit in the future?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2014, 09:17
RE: Netgear Ready NAS
(20-07-2014 02:53)minisn Wrote:  I have a Netgear Ready NAS RN31400, will Java and Minimserver install on this unit? Instructions mention no support for 1xx and 3xx models, does that include the RN31400? If so, are there plans to support this unit in the future?

The RN31400 is part of the 3xx series, so it isn't supported. This situation is unlikely to change in the near future.
20-07-2014, 13:18 (This post was last modified: 20-07-2014 13:19 by bbrip.)
(20-07-2014 02:53)minisn Wrote:  I have a Netgear Ready NAS RN31400, will Java and Minimserver install on this unit? Instructions mention no support for 1xx and 3xx models, does that include the RN31400? If so, are there plans to support this unit in the future?

If its not too late, I would return that machine, get a refund and buy a QNAP or Synology.

I used ReadyNAS in the past but their new models and OS upgrade policy lost me - and many others.

bbrip
20-07-2014, 15:52
(20-07-2014 13:18)bbrip Wrote:  

If its not too late, I would return that machine, get a refund and buy a QNAP or Synology.

I used ReadyNAS in the past but their new models and OS upgrade policy lost me - and many others.

bbrip

+1 to that. I just purchased a QNAP 212p and it so simple to set up, including Minimserver, and has a far superior interface to my last ReadyNAS. I have 2 ReadyNAS duos, v1 and v2, and while they were good enough at streaming my music, they are a nightmare to use for other stuff. I tried with both machines, to get the ReadyNAS remote software setup to backup my office files to no avail. I had the qnap qsync working in 5 minutes and all my office files are safely synced to the qnap. I just need to back them up, and I will be sorted.

Bill.
20-07-2014, 22:13
(20-07-2014 15:52)Billzab Wrote:  
(20-07-2014 13:18)bbrip Wrote:  If its not too late, I would return that machine, get a refund and buy a QNAP or Synology.

bbrip

+1 to that. I just purchased a QNAP 212p and it so simple to set up, including Minimserver, and has a far superior interface to my last ReadyNAS. I have 2 ReadyNAS duos, v1 and v2, and while they were good enough at streaming my music, they are a nightmare to use for other stuff. I tried with both machines, to get the ReadyNAS remote software setup to backup my office files to no avail. I had the qnap qsync working in 5 minutes and all my office files are safely synced to the qnap. I just need to back them up, and I will be sorted.

Bill.

+1 to that as well.

Having spent a significant amount of time and money developing a ReadyNAS package for MinimServer, I could hardly believe it when NETGEAR introduced a new NAS series that can't run the firmware and applications from the previous series and therefore requires all application developers to create new application packages for the new series.

To make things even worse, the new firmware (OS 6) and new-style applications can't run on the old hardware, so I would need to purchase new hardware in order to create a new-style MinimServer package.

Because of this, it seems to me that NETGEAR doesn't respect the investments that third-party application developers have made in supporting the ReadyNAS and it is quite likely that any further investment I might make in creating a new-style ReadyNAS package could become obsolete when NETGEAR introduces their next ReadyNAS series.