Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Network Dropouts
21-07-2014, 20:40
RE: Network Dropouts
(21-07-2014 20:29)simoncn Wrote:  I think a lot depends on what streamer you have. Mine is a Linn DS. It would be interesting to hear about people's experiences with their streamers.

Mine is a Simaudio MiND. The DAC is an Auralic Vega, whose sound I like a lot, but perhaps it has insufficient buffering on its AES-EBU input.

Auralic has come out with their own streamer, and I plan to try that. Among other things, it connects via the USB port on their DAC, and that port has more buffering, I believe.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2014, 20:45
(21-07-2014 19:51)simoncn Wrote:  I am not having any issues [in streaming hi-res audio]. It sounds like there is some problem with your streaming setup.

Well, yes! Detecting the source of the problem is the nettlesome part. It is far too intermittent and unpredictable.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
21-07-2014, 20:50
(21-07-2014 20:40)Mike48 Wrote:  Mine is a Simaudio MiND. The DAC is an Auralic Vega, whose sound I like a lot, but perhaps it has insufficient buffering on its AES-EBU input.

Auralic has come out with their own streamer, and I plan to try that. Among other things, it connects via the USB port on their DAC, and that port has more buffering, I believe.

I would expect the network buffering to be important as well. The Linn's network buffer design is one of the good features of this streamer.
21-07-2014, 20:53
(21-07-2014 20:45)Mike48 Wrote:  Well, yes! Detecting the source of the problem is the nettlesome part. It is far too intermittent and unpredictable.

My point was that it is possible to make this 100% reliable. I agree that it can be hard to diagnose the cause of any problems, especially with a mix of components from different manufacturers.
21-07-2014, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 21:31 by Mike48.)
(21-07-2014 20:53)simoncn Wrote:  My point was that it is possible to make this 100% reliable. I agree that it can be hard to diagnose the cause of any problems, especially with a mix of components from different manufacturers.

Right! And mine was, in a way, the same . . . that it isn't like hooking a preamp to a power amp, which -- even if they are from different manufacturers -- will work 99.95% of the time (1). And that combination is even more likely to be free of intermittent malfunctions.

Network audio is wonderful when it works. However, it's still a bit "bleeding edge": correct function is not by any means a given, even when the parts have been glowingly reviewed and seem to work together at first.

Part of the issue is that even professional reviewers are inexperienced in this and sometimes overlook obvious flaws (lack of gapless) or subtle ones. Also, they seem biased towards Apple computers. That's fine, but more people have PCs, and just as speakers are usually reviewed with both tube and solid-state amps, streaming gear should be tested fully with both Apple and PC setups, with both iOS and Android control points. If not, the review is valid only for those using the same gear as the reviewer.

(1) Number made up.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
21-07-2014, 21:29
(21-07-2014 21:12)Mike48 Wrote:  Right! And mine was, in a way, the same . . . that it isn't like hooking a preamp to a power amp, which -- even if they are from different manufacturers -- will work 99.95% of the time (1). And that combination is even more likely to be free if intermittent malfunctions.

Network audio is wonderful when it works. However, it's still a bit "bleeding edge": correct function is not by any means a given, even when the parts have been glowingly reviewed and seem to work together at first.

Part of the issue is that even professional reviewers are inexperienced in this and sometimes overlook obvious flaws (lack of gapless) or subtle ones. Also, they seem biased towards Apple computers. That's fine, but more people have PCs, and just as speakers are usually reviewed with both tube and solid-state amps, streaming gear should be tested fully with both Apple and PC setups, with both iOS and Android control points. If not, the review is valid only for those using the same gear as the reviewer.

(1) Number made up.

All good points. When I added the Digital Audio section of this fourm, I was hoping to see some reviews there which would help with these issues. These reviews have been somewhat slow in appearing. Sad
21-07-2014, 21:34
(21-07-2014 21:29)simoncn Wrote:  When I added the Digital Audio section of this fourm, I was hoping to see some reviews there which would help with these issues. These reviews have been somewhat slow in appearing. Sad

When I try the Auralic Aries, I'll post a review of that and the Vega.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
21-07-2014, 21:44
(21-07-2014 21:34)Mike48 Wrote:  When I try the Auralic Aries, I'll post a review of that and the Vega.

Thanks very much!
24-07-2014, 19:03
Just a follow up. I installed a Synology DS414. That did not change the occasional dropouts experienced with the MiND and Vega. (However, it fills a need for more storage in my home setup.) Rebooting the MiND seems to have helped, but I'm not sure -- it was only one trial.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
24-07-2014, 19:10
(24-07-2014 19:03)Mike48 Wrote:  Just a follow up. I installed a Synology DS414. That did not change the occasional dropouts experienced with the MiND and Vega. (However, it fills a need for more storage in my home setup.) Rebooting the MiND seems to have helped, but I'm not sure -- it was only one trial.

I'm sorry to hear this.

This suggests that the problem is related either to the network or to the MiND. If it is helped by rebooting the MiND, the finger of suspicion is pointed at the MiND...