Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
one album not playing
18-07-2014, 21:30
one album not playing
First of all, I am a happy user of minim server.

I have now encountered a problem I cannot solve myself. I have an Ottmar Liebert album, recently downloaded from HDTracks. It plays perfectly as long as it lives on my desktop computer. If I import it into the minim server library on my NAS, it becomes unplayable. If played over my ARC dac it crashes. If played over my Ipad playback stutters.

I see no relevant errors in the minim log.

All other albums play perfectly. Any ideas? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2014, 21:36
RE: one album not playing
(18-07-2014 21:30)PieterM Wrote:  First of all, I am a happy user of minim server.

I have now encountered a problem I cannot solve myself. I have an Ottmar Liebert album, recently downloaded from HDTracks. It plays perfectly as long as it lives on my desktop computer. If I import it into the minim server library on my NAS, it becomes unplayable. If played over my ARC dac it crashes. If played over my Ipad playback stutters.

I see no relevant errors in the minim log.

All other albums play perfectly. Any ideas? Thank you.

Is this AIFF by any chance? There is a known problem with the formatting of AIFF albums downloaded from HDTracks (see this post). You need to contact HDTracks about this.
18-07-2014, 21:54
Thank you, but no, it's 88/24 WAV.

What keeps me puzzled is that the WAV files do play outside of Minim server. I tried clearing tags with JRiver software. Didn't work.
18-07-2014, 22:04
(18-07-2014 21:54)PieterM Wrote:  Thank you, but no, it's 88/24 WAV.

What keeps me puzzled is that the WAV files do play outside of Minim server. I tried clearing tags with JRiver software. Didn't work.

The crash could be caused by a format error error in the file or it could be a problem with the renderer or control point. What UPnP control point and renderer are you using? What exactly is crashing when you play the file?

The stuttering on iPad is likely to be caused by insufficient streaming bandwidth to play an 88/24 WAV file over the wireless connection to your iPad.
19-07-2014, 18:06
It wasn't cured overnight... The source is my music library on my sinology has, which has both minim server installed as well as the standard sinology media server. Normally I use minim server. Control point is normally plug player, but sometimes I use Jriver (which is my go to program for management of the music files etc). Renderer is an Audio Research Reference DAC.

All of my library is WAV or FLAC.

When trying to play the album, the DAC crashes.

I tried playing the album using jriver as control point. The first time I tried the music did not even reach the DAC, and jriver crashed. I tried using the sinology media server. At first the same (crash of jriver). But thereafter it played fine. Switched back to plug player and minim, which sometimes plays, sometimes it doesn't. In the minim/plugplayer/DAC combination, if it fails, it is the DAC that crashes and reboots.

As the rest of my music plays perfectly in all the above setups, it probably must be something with the file. I will again try stripping all metadata.

The one thing that can be trusted to play the album without fault is playing the wav files directly on my desktop, using the built in Mac OS preview.

Thanks once again for your help.
19-07-2014, 20:02
(19-07-2014 18:06)PieterM Wrote:  It wasn't cured overnight... The source is my music library on my sinology has, which has both minim server installed as well as the standard sinology media server. Normally I use minim server. Control point is normally plug player, but sometimes I use Jriver (which is my go to program for management of the music files etc). Renderer is an Audio Research Reference DAC.

I tried playing the album using jriver as control point. The first time I tried the music did not even reach the DAC, and jriver crashed. I tried using the sinology media server. At first the same (crash of jriver). But thereafter it played fine. Switched back to plug player and minim, which sometimes plays, sometimes it doesn't. In the minim/plugplayer/DAC combination, if it fails, it is the DAC that crashes and reboots.

As the rest of my music plays perfectly in all the above setups, it probably must be something with the file. I will again try stripping all metadata.

The one thing that can be trusted to play the album without fault is playing the wav files directly on my desktop, using the built in Mac OS preview.

Are the NAS and renderer connected to your router or switch by Ethernet cables, or are there any wireless or HomePlug connections involved? An 88/24 WAV file needs a lot of network bandwidth. It's possible that a streaming connectiivity issue could cause the renderer to crash intermittently.
19-07-2014, 20:13
(19-07-2014 20:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-07-2014 18:06)PieterM Wrote:  It wasn't cured overnight... The source is my music library on my sinology has, which has both minim server installed as well as the standard sinology media server. Normally I use minim server. Control point is normally plug player, but sometimes I use Jriver (which is my go to program for management of the music files etc). Renderer is an Audio Research Reference DAC.

Are the NAS and renderer connected to your router or switch by Ethernet cables, or are there any wireless or HomePlug connections involved? An 88/24 WAV file needs a lot of network bandwidth. It's possible that a streaming connectiivity issue could cause the renderer to crash intermittently.

Only the control point is on my wireless network, the NAS and renderer are on a cat6 network, with a gigabit switch between the ethernet cable from my nas and the ethernet cable to the renderer, so that traffic goes directly from NAS to renderer.

Well, the album is playing now, so let's see if it stays that way.
Thanks for the help, even though by now it is clear that it's not the minim server that's causing the trouble, now that the same problem occurs on the other (synology) server that I am running.
22-07-2014, 14:42
Quote:Well, the album is playing now, so let's see if it stays that way.
Thanks for the help, even though by now it is clear that it's not the minim server that's causing the trouble, now that the same problem occurs on the other (synology) server that I am running.

Did you take out the artwork? From time to time my Denon 4311 has difficulties with some artwork sizes and formats. I take it out and attach it again in a jpg format of max 600x600 dpi (using foobar to manage my library). If still not working I re-encode to flac (again) using dBPoweramp. Most of the time the filesize turns out to be bigger. Maybe it has something to do with the compression rate (I use the default setting of 5).
25-07-2014, 18:43
(22-07-2014 14:42)ppienter Wrote:  
Quote:Well, the album is playing now, so let's see if it stays that way.

Did you take out the artwork? From time to time my Denon 4311 has difficulties with some artwork sizes and formats. I take it out and attach it again in a jpg format of max 600x600 dpi (using foobar to manage my library). If still not working I re-encode to flac (again) using dBPoweramp. Most of the time the filesize turns out to be bigger. Maybe it has something to do with the compression rate (I use the default setting of 5).

Thank you, I will try replacing the artwork. If it fails again, I think recoding to Flac is the best thing to do.