Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Questions
18-07-2014, 19:55
Newbie Questions
I am a 61 year old audiophile who is making the jump to "computer audio." After research I have ordered a Synology 214+ to use with an Auralic Vega DAC and Aries streamer, connected to an iMac in a home network. Auralic recommends the Minim, so I want to download it but know only enough about computers to be dangerous. Once I get the system operating I will proceed to rip my 800 or so CDs.
I would appreciate being directed to any websites or posts to help me set the software up, recommend the best workflow, and any warnings about common problems. Specific questions:

1. Am I downloading the MinimServer onto the NAS drive or onto my iMac? If the former, how do I tell the computer to download onto the NAS?

2. Do I understand correctly that I also need to downloadMinimWatch onto my iMac?

3. Do I also need to download MiniMStreamer in order to control the music library on an iPad?

4. Does MiniM take the place of iTunes?

5. Does it matter what software I use to rip CDs? I gather that XLD is recommended for MACs, at least until dbPoweramp completes its MAC version.
Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2014, 20:38 (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 20:44 by beckphotonik.)
RE: Newbie Questions
As 4 years your senior, a Synology and mac user, I understand!
I just followed the instructions on the MinimServer site to install the software on the NAS. Yes, you need to install MinimWatch on your Mac to enable you to control and set up MinimServer on your NAS. You don't need minimstreamer for your iPad, I use 8player lite on my IPad. You may need MinimStreamer on your NAS if you want to stream DSD64 files to your streamer.
Sorry, I cannot comment on your items 4&5 as I have ripped my CDs on a windows system.
I can recommend metadatics as an excellent tag editor for the Mac.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
18-07-2014, 20:46
RE: Newbie Questions
(18-07-2014 20:38)beckphotonik Wrote:  Sorry, I cannot comment on your items 4&5 as I have ripped my CDs on a windows system.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Regarding 4, you can use MinimServer with a UPnP control point in place of the browsing and playback functions of iTunes. There is no equivalent in MinimServer for the tag editing function of iTunes, but you can use Metadatics on the Mac to do this. There is also no equivalent in MinimServer for the ripping function of iTunes.

The MinimServer website together with information on this forum should provide the information you need to install and use MinimServer effectively.