Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Rescan? Is it a possibility?
18-07-2014, 19:48
Auto Rescan? Is it a possibility?
Often I forget to do a manual Minimserver rescan when I add music to the specified file location.

Is there a way to configure the system so that it monitors a specific directory, rescan when a change in the contents is detected and automatically adds the new music to the library?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for not finding it in the manual if it is present!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2014, 20:38
RE: Auto Rescan? Is it a possibility?
(18-07-2014 19:48)BlueSky Wrote:  Often I forget to do a manual Minimserver rescan when I add music to the specified file location.

Is there a way to configure the system so that it monitors a specific directory, rescan when a change in the contents is detected and automatically adds the new music to the library?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for not finding it in the manual if it is present!

This isn't possible at present. I'm hoping to be able to add this feature in a future release. There are significant technical and design challenges with this, so I'm unable to say when (or if) it will happen.
18-07-2014, 20:39
(18-07-2014 19:48)BlueSky Wrote:  Often I forget to do a manual Minimserver rescan when I add music to the specified file location.

I was able to answer my own question and found out that an AutoScan function or the ability to detect changes in the directory in which music files are stored is not a reality.
19-07-2014, 07:30
(18-07-2014 20:38)simoncn Wrote:  

This isn't possible at present. I'm hoping to be able to add this feature in a future release. There are significant technical and design challenges with this, so I'm unable to say when (or if) it will happen.

Thanks much! I am looking forward to your product's evolution.
26-07-2014, 12:45
Is the routine behind the 'rescan' buttons and popup menu is available via command line we may be able to trigger it via a cron/scheduler task.
26-07-2014, 13:17
(26-07-2014 12:45)rhoering Wrote:  Is the routine behind the 'rescan' buttons and popup menu is available via command line we may be able to trigger it via a cron/scheduler task.

You can do this by running MinimWatch with scripted input commands. If you are running MinimWatch on Linux, do the following:

1) Create a script file containing the following lines:

sleep 5
select {displayname}
rescan
sleep 3
exit

where {displayname} is the display name of the MinimServer instance that you want to control.

2) Run the command:

minimwatch/bin/startc < {scriptfile}

where {scriptfile} is the name of the script file that you created in the previous step.
26-07-2014, 15:37
Very Nice! Thx Simon
27-07-2014, 16:16
Simon,
It's great that you are considering an automatic rescan. One suggestion: I usually add more than one file at a time to my music library. Would it be a good idea to build in some kind of time delay (exact time perhaps configurable by user)? For instance, the restart would not happen until no files had been added/changed for one minute. I tried the autorestart package for Synology that winxi created and found that it was a little too eager to begin the restart, resulting in multiple restarts when I added several files.
27-07-2014, 16:22
(27-07-2014 16:16)magister Wrote:  Simon,
It's great that you are considering an automatic rescan. One suggestion: I usually add more than one file at a time to my music library. Would it be a good idea to build in some kind of time delay (exact time perhaps configurable by user)? For instance, the restart would not happen until no files had been added/changed for one minute. I tried the autorestart package for Synology that winxi created and found that it was a little too eager to begin the restart, resulting in multiple restarts when I added several files.

If I am able to support this, the scenario you describe shouldn't be a problem.