Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch Download
16-07-2014, 13:07
RE: MinimWatch Download
(16-07-2014 12:31)rogerdn Wrote:  Thanks David, I only installed 32 bit Java because when I checked my IE browser Help it did not say what it was, meaning it was then 32 bit, and the Jave app that checks if your install is correct said mine was. Anyway I will uninstall the 32 bit and replace with 64, or will that be a problem if my IE is 32 ? Yes I was aware of the security thing.

If you do this, you won't be able to use any web pages that require Java.

Unless you are sure that you will never need to do this, a safer option would be to use 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x86.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2014, 13:53
(16-07-2014 13:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 12:31)rogerdn Wrote:  Thanks David, I only installed 32 bit Java because when I checked my IE browser Help it did not say what it was, meaning it was then 32 bit, and the Jave app that checks if your install is correct said mine was. Anyway I will uninstall the 32 bit and replace with 64, or will that be a problem if my IE is 32 ? Yes I was aware of the security thing.

Unless you are sure that you will never need to do this, a safer option would be to use 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x86.

So I can use MinimWatch x86 on my Win 7 x64 ?
16-07-2014, 13:56
(16-07-2014 13:07)simoncn Wrote:  

This is correct, but not, I suggest, altogether helpful. How can one know in advance what one's future pattern of browsing will be?

I don't know if my experience is typical, but it seems that only a tiny proportion of web pages require Java (again, not to be confused with JavaScript), and I have the feeling that the proportion is continuing to reduce. This may be associated with the security scares around Java of a few years ago, or may reflect the fact that most of the more complex pages these days are built using other technology which browsers typically support natively.

With this in mind, I have adopted the 64 bit option, and, if I find a page that requires Java (which I am coming to see as increasingly unlikely), I will access it in IE, which has a Java Helper plugin installed. If that approach does not appeal to you, Simon's recommendation is entirely workable.

David
16-07-2014, 14:07
(16-07-2014 13:53)rogerdn Wrote:  So I can use MinimWatch x86 on my Win 7 x64 ?

Yes (with 32 bit Java, of course). Windows x64 is compatible with virtually all 32 bit programs.

David
16-07-2014, 14:19
(16-07-2014 13:56)DavidHB Wrote:  With this in mind, I have adopted the 64 bit option, and, if I find a page that requires Java (which I am coming to see as increasingly unlikely), I will access it in IE, which has a Java Helper plugin installed. If that approach does not appeal to you, Simon's recommendation is entirely workable.

Does this IE helper plugin allow a 32-bit IE to use 64-bit Java?
16-07-2014, 19:34
(16-07-2014 14:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 13:56)DavidHB Wrote:  With this in mind, I have adopted the 64 bit option, and, if I find a page that requires Java (which I am coming to see as increasingly unlikely), I will access it in IE, which has a Java Helper plugin installed. If that approach does not appeal to you, Simon's recommendation is entirely workable.

Does this IE helper plugin allow a 32-bit IE to use 64-bit Java?

It's a good question, to which I haven't so far been able to find a clear answer. I do know that I only have 64 bit Java installed, and that when I accessed IE (which is not my default browser) it offered to enable the plugin. I don't have IE 64 bit enabled currently (I think you have to enable it explicitly in Win 7 and 8).

Is there a test site you could suggest? As I said in my earlier post, I'm not seeing much use of Java applets in the sites I most frequently use.

David
16-07-2014, 19:36
I have as suggested removed MinimWatch x64 and replaced with x84, this time I got message of successful install, then installed maybe four updates, but....now it will not open. Either double click or 'Open'. Grrrr....
16-07-2014, 19:43 (This post was last modified: 16-07-2014 19:44 by simoncn.)
(16-07-2014 19:36)rogerdn Wrote:  I have as suggested removed MinimWatch x64 and replaced with x84, this time I got message of successful install, then installed maybe four updates, but....now it will not open. Either double click or 'Open'. Grrrr....

If you have installed four updates, MinimWatch must have opened to let you do that.

What exactly is happening when you try to open it now? You should see an icon with a minim symbol (musical note) in the system tray. The icon might be in the overflow area for the system tray (click the upward-pointing triangle to see this). If the icon is in the overflow area, you can use 'Customize' in the system tray to make the icon appear all the time.
16-07-2014, 20:41
Well I apparently don't understand how MinimWatch is suppose to work, yes I now see the icon in the tray but that is MinimServer it says, which is running on my NAS. I was trying to open MinimWatch using the folder it installed on my desktop, clicking on it nothing opens.

Doesn't MinimWatch open to a set up screen for MinimServer, where is my misunderstanding here ?
16-07-2014, 21:22
(16-07-2014 20:41)rogerdn Wrote:  Well I apparently don't understand how MinimWatch is suppose to work, yes I now see the icon in the tray but that is MinimServer it says, which is running on my NAS. I was trying to open MinimWatch using the folder it installed on my desktop, clicking on it nothing opens.

Doesn't MinimWatch open to a set up screen for MinimServer, where is my misunderstanding here ?

The minim icon created by MinimWatch is a "remote control" for MinimServer. You can display the icon's menu selections by right-clicking on the icon. These selections are described on this page.