Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch Download
15-07-2014, 23:43
MinimWatch Download
Have successfully installed MinimServer on my Snyology but cannot download MinimWatch on my Win 7 x64, the link does not seem to be active.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2014, 23:47
RE: MinimWatch Download
(15-07-2014 23:43)rogerdn Wrote:  Have successfully installed MinimServer on my Snyology but cannot download MinimWatch on my Win 7 x64, the link does not seem to be active.

I just tried this and the link is working for me.
16-07-2014, 01:27
Hmmm, but thanks, have no idea then why mine would not.
16-07-2014, 02:38
ok I was finally able to download MinimWatch and installed the correct Java I believe (x64 Win 7 and 32 IE), which Java confirmed was correct for my laptop, but when installing MW I get error message...can't load AMD64 bit.dll on a JA32 bit platform. What is this telling me is wrong pls ?
16-07-2014, 08:52
(16-07-2014 02:38)rogerdn Wrote:  ok I was finally able to download MinimWatch and installed the correct Java I believe (x64 Win 7 and 32 IE), which Java confirmed was correct for my laptop, but when installing MW I get error message...can't load AMD64 bit.dll on a JA32 bit platform. What is this telling me is wrong pls ?

This message means you have installed 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x64. Please see point 1 of this section for help with resolving this conflict.
16-07-2014, 11:37
(16-07-2014 08:52)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 02:38)rogerdn Wrote:  ok I was finally able to download MinimWatch and installed the correct Java I believe (x64 Win 7 and 32 IE), which Java confirmed was correct for my laptop, but when installing MW I get error message...can't load AMD64 bit.dll on a JA32 bit platform. What is this telling me is wrong pls ?

This message means you have installed 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x64. Please see point 1 of this section for help with resolving this conflict.

My win 7 is 64 bit, browser 32 I believe, so which is wrong MinimWatch or Java ?
16-07-2014, 11:58 (This post was last modified: 16-07-2014 12:01 by DavidHB.)
(16-07-2014 11:37)rogerdn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 08:52)simoncn Wrote:  This message means you have installed 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x64. Please see point 1 of this section for help with resolving this conflict.

My win 7 is 64 bit, browser 32 I believe, so which is wrong MinimWatch or Java ?

The application (MinimWatch in this case) needs to be compatible with the version of Java you are using. You can't install 64 bit Java on a 32 bit machine, but it is still possible, I believe, to install both 32 bit and 64 bit Java (separately or both together) on a 64 bit Windows machine.

I had both versions installed together on one of my Windows machines some time ago, and it caused a certain amount of hassle with updating and the like. There was also the issue of applications trying to access the wrong Java installation. So, in my current setup, I stick firmly to 64 bit Java only on Windows, and use the corresponding 64 bit MinimWatch application. Unless you have a specific reason for doing otherwise, I'd recommend you do the same (including uninstalling 32 bit Java if need be).

Incidentally, it is good practice not to install Java on machines on which you are not using it, because, by its nature, it is a target for malware writers. If you do need to use it (as you do with MinimServer and MinimWatch), be sure to keep it and your internet security up to date.

David
16-07-2014, 12:01
(16-07-2014 11:37)rogerdn Wrote:  My win 7 is 64 bit, browser 32 I believe, so which is wrong MinimWatch or Java ?

If you are using 32-bit Java for compatibility with your browser, you need to uninstall MinimWatch x64 and install MinimWatch x86.
16-07-2014, 12:25
(16-07-2014 12:01)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 11:37)rogerdn Wrote:  My win 7 is 64 bit, browser 32 I believe, so which is wrong MinimWatch or Java ?
If you are using 32-bit Java for compatibility with your browser, you need to uninstall MinimWatch x64 and install MinimWatch x86.

Simon is, of course, correct. As all the major browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) are more developed (and more stable) in their 32 bit versions than their 64 bit versions, it makes sense to use the 32 bit version(s) for normal browsing. But, unless you access web pages that host Java-based programs (and, for the avoidance of doubt, Java and JavaScript are two entirely different things, such that JavaScript is not an issue here), you can happily use the 64 bit version of Java on a Windows machine.

This means that you do have a choice. So long as you use the 32 or 64 bit version of the app with the corresponding version of Java, all should be well whichever version you use.

David
16-07-2014, 12:31
(16-07-2014 11:58)DavidHB Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 11:37)rogerdn Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 08:52)simoncn Wrote:  This message means you have installed 32-bit Java and MinimWatch x64. Please see point 1 of this section for help with resolving this conflict.

The application (MinimWatch in this case) needs to be compatible with the version of Java you are using. You can't install 64 bit Java on a 32 bit machine, but it is still possible, I believe, to install both 32 bit and 64 bit Java (separately or both together) on a 64 bit Windows machine.

I had both versions installed together on one of my Windows machines some time ago, and it caused a certain amount of hassle with updating and the like. There was also the issue of applications trying to access the wrong Java installation. So, in my current setup, I stick firmly to 64 bit Java only on Windows, and use the corresponding 64 bit MinimWatch application. Unless you have a specific reason for doing otherwise, I'd recommend you do the same (including uninstalling 32 bit Java if need be).

Incidentally, it is good practice not to install Java on machines on which you are not using it, because, by its nature, it is a target for malware writers. If you do need to use it (as you do with MinimServer and MinimWatch), be sure to keep it and your internet security up to date.

David

Thanks David, I only installed 32 bit Java because when I checked my IE browser Help it did not say what it was, meaning it was then 32 bit, and the Jave app that checks if your install is correct said mine was. Anyway I will uninstall the 32 bit and replace with 64, or will that be a problem if my IE is 32 ? Yes I was aware of the security thing.