Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming quality
16-07-2014, 01:35
RE: Streaming quality
That is very useful info haggis999. Thank you. I run iOS, so can't use BubbleUPnP (unless I buy some Android devices, of course). I'm still toying with my setups. I have Jriver running on my Mac Mini "server", and it's doing a fine job. The JRemote app is also very good. For me, I think this negates the need for MinimServer. I presume you still like to use it because you like the way it handles classical music, which isn't so critical for me. I was all set to implement a streming solution to Oppo's (again, gapless not a huge issue), but have now got into a big discussion on the JRiver forum about using JRiver's parametric equalizers to compensate for some age-related hearing degradation. This is very promising, and could well lift my systems back to where they should be for me. But this means no streaming (JRiver can't implement equalization while streaming), and Macs on each of my systems to run JRiver via a DAC.

A never-ending "stream" of options!

Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2014, 13:45
(08-07-2014 11:36)sddawson Wrote:  Just installed Minimserver on a Mac. Working really well streaming to an Oppo BDP-103. Most of my music is ALAC, and up to 24/192. Pardon the newbie question, but does Minimserver deliver these files to the Oppo in a bit-perfect fashion? No transcoding of any sort?

If you don't enable any transcoding then it will deliver the file unchanged.
Even transcoding of ALAC to WAV is bitperfect.

I can play DTS cd and HDCD using Minimserver. Using iTunes Airplay is not such a success to play these kind of CD's

(08-07-2014 11:36)sddawson Wrote:  I'm still hunting around for a good iOS controller app.

I use Media Connect on my iPad.
18-07-2014, 15:10
(18-07-2014 13:45)ppienter Wrote:  I use Media Connect on my iPad.

I am also on the lookout for competent media controllers for my iPad (as an option to using BubbleUPnP on my Android smartphone) and have just given given Media Connect a quick trial run.

Getting Media Connect to use the browsing tree provided by MinimServer on my NAS was no problem but I couldn't find a way to direct the music to rendering software on my PC (JRiver). I could only play the music on the iPad itself. Am I missing something obvious?

David
18-07-2014, 15:23
(18-07-2014 15:10)haggis999 Wrote:  Am I missing something obvious?

Hi,

When you open media connect, on the bottom you see 5 icons (Player, Server, Controller, Downloader and Settings)

When you want to play something on another device you select 'Controller',
Then you select the source e.g. Minimserver and then you see the browsing tree. You select what you want to play, hit 'Queue Selected' or 'Queue All' and if no default renderer was chosen you get a pop-up if more are available.

When in Folder mode, you better go the resp. tag view where you see all the tracks and then you can hit 'Queue All' since you vould get an issue that a 'tag' is not playable.

To have a 'Default' renderer, you go into 'Media Renderers' (still in the controller section) and hit 5 seconds on the one you want as default.

Good Luck.
18-07-2014, 15:43
Thanks for the guidance. I'm not sure I would call it as intuitive an interface as offered by BubbleUPnP, but I've got Media Connect working now.

I will play with it some more and see if other issues arise...

David
18-07-2014, 16:03
(18-07-2014 15:43)haggis999 Wrote:  I will play with it some more and see if other issues arise...

David

It didn't too long for me to find another problem, and a serious one at that (for classical music). There appears to be no support in Media Connect for gapless playback Sad

I looked for any relevant settings but found nothing. Please tell me I just didn't look hard enough...

David
18-07-2014, 16:58
(18-07-2014 16:03)haggis999 Wrote:  There appears to be no support in Media Connect for gapless playback Sad

This is true. The Media Connect app pushes music to your renderer.
You need an app that makes sure your renderer pulls the music.

If I'm not mistaken, this is only done by the proprietary apps coming from the media renderers itself (like Denon/Marantz app for Denon/Marantz streamers or Kinsky for Linn streamers).

Does BubbleUPnP support this?

Maybe you can try Plugplayer. With me it's always crashing so I don't use it anymore...
18-07-2014, 17:29
Unfortunately, there is no free trial version of PlugPlayer. I know it only costs £2.99, but as a matter of principle, I object to buying software before I know it meets my needs. There are so many ways in which it could prove unsuitable (especially in meeting the more demanding requirements of classical music). The App Store reviews, like your own comments, are lacking in much enthusiasm. On reading the only recent 5-star review I found that the writer intended the rating to be minus 5 stars!

Sadly, I have failed (so far) to find any iPad media apps that come anywhere near BubbleUPnP on Android. BubbleUPnP does indeed support gapless playback (via an optional setting).

David
18-07-2014, 17:39
(18-07-2014 17:29)haggis999 Wrote:  BubbleUPnP does indeed support gapless playback (via an optional setting).

My spouse has it on her mobile phone. Unfortuanely it's not available (yet?) on iPad. As I understood because IOS doesn't support Java.

I haven't been able to try the gapless playback since my receiver is not supporting this (Denon AVR-4311). I'm waiting for the Denon X7200W to replace my current model, which will also support DSD streaming Smile.