Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best controller for iPad?
16-06-2014, 16:16
Question Best controller for iPad?
My current solution for streaming music files from my Synology NAS is based on a combination of MinimServer and BubbleUPnP. I use BubbleUPnP on my Samsung smart phone to direct the files to JRiver Media Center on my Windows PC (acting as a DLNA player). This PC is connected to the asynch USB input on my Oppo BDP-105, which is the only way at present to make the Oppo provide gapless playback via the network.

This does everything I need for classical music, with the one exception that BubbleUPnP is only available for the Android platform. Just to make life difficult, my current app for playing back the MKV movie files stored on my NAS is only available for the iPad.

I would now like to re-explore iPad-based alternatives to the BubbleUPnP controller but have lost touch with what is available since I last looked at this about a year ago. What solutions have others here found to work well with MinimServer?

Ideally, any such app would match BubbleUPnP's ability to provide a simultaneous display of the Track, Work, Composer and Artist in the 'Playing Now' screen. These metadata tags are stored in all my FLAC files (my custom Work tag actually occupies the Album display slot on BubbleUPnP via tag remapping in MinimServer).

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 16:25
RE: Best controller for iPad?
(16-06-2014 16:16)haggis999 Wrote:  My current solution for streaming music files from my Synology NAS is based on a combination of MinimServer and BubbleUPnP.
Me too!

(16-06-2014 16:16)haggis999 Wrote:  I would now like to re-explore iPad-based alternatives to the BubbleUPnP controller but have lost touch with what is available since I last looked at this about a year ago. What solutions have others here found to work well with MinimServer?
Lumin app is free and works very well with minimserver..

(16-06-2014 16:16)haggis999 Wrote:  Ideally, any such app would match BubbleUPnP's ability to provide a simultaneous display of the Track, Work, Composer and Artist in the 'Playing Now' screen. These metadata tags are stored in all my FLAC files (my custom Work tag actually occupies the Album display slot on BubbleUPnP via tag remapping in MinimServer).
I believe you will be happy because lumin takes full use of all tags you setup on minim...
The tags also appear in a smart way, because only the ones that have values are displayed in each navigation step/view you do...

Great!
16-06-2014, 17:37
(16-06-2014 16:25)mikejazz Wrote:  Lumin app is free and works very well with minimserver..

The LUMIN app requires an OpenHome renderer, so it won't work for playing music to the JRiver renderer.

I haven't found any good alternative to BubbleUPnP for playing music to a standard UPnP AV renderer.
16-06-2014, 17:40
(16-06-2014 16:25)mikejazz Wrote:  Lumin app is free and works very well with minimserver..
I've just downloaded the Lum—ón app to my iPad Air but am not sure that it is of much use to me. The app is happy to display the contents of my music library, as defined by MinimServer, but it only appears to be able to direct the music to a very expensive Lumin Network Music Player.

Am I missing something?

David
16-06-2014, 18:01
Simon's response, posted a minute or two before mine, has answered my question.

Some time ago, in the Oppo BDP-105 thread on the AVS forum, I referred to MinimServer and BubbleUPnP as a "dream team" for classical music but I didn't realise that there was virtually no competition for those of us without high-end network players.

David
17-06-2014, 13:50
So what is the best control point for the iPad? It seems that so far we've got no options at all?
17-06-2014, 16:20
(17-06-2014 13:50)adrian Wrote:  So what is the best control point for the iPad? It seems that so far we've got no options at all?

You could try PlugPlayer or 8player.
17-06-2014, 23:13
Linn Kinsky? In the past, people have said good things about this one. Has something changed? It worked well in my iPad last time I tried it (I don't use it regularly).
18-06-2014, 12:14
(17-06-2014 23:13)magister Wrote:  Linn Kinsky? In the past, people have said good things about this one. Has something changed? It worked well in my iPad last time I tried it (I don't use it regularly).

I think that Kinsky, like the Lumin app, is designed to work with OpenHome renderers (which is what Linn DS/DSM devices are). Linn provides a basic UPNP AV mode, which I would guess does not support gapless play or cache the playlist. Kinsky can control the players in this mode, so maybe it can also control JRiver. It is free, so the only cost of trying it is time and effort.

Kinsky is not my favourite control point, but it works perfectly well in a basic way. I prefer the new Kazoo application, which is still in beta. There is an iOS version, though I don't know whether the issues users had with that version have been fixed in the latest builds. There is a thread on Kazoo, for those requiring further information.

David
18-06-2014, 15:58
(18-06-2014 12:14)DavidHB Wrote:  I think that Kinsky, like the Lumin app, is designed to work with OpenHome renderers (which is what Linn DS/DSM devices are). Linn provides a basic UPNP AV mode, which I would guess does not support gapless play or cache the playlist. Kinsky can control the players in this mode, so maybe it can also control JRiver. It is free, so the only cost of trying it is time and effort.

I have neve been able to get Kinsky to play more than one track at a time when using a UPnP AV renderer. This effectively makes Kinsky unusable unless you have an OpnHome renderer. It's likely that this limitation would apply when playing to JRiver, but it might be worth a try.