Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
16-06-2014, 05:19
RE: Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
Ok. I have had no luck setting up BubbleUPnP Server on the QNAP. The main problem was configuring FFMpeg.. QNAP have removed the install links to Optware QPKG repository..

And my linux skills are not good enough to edit the FFMpeg files directly..

This is so typical of a quest like this (being thwarter at the last turn)

Oh wel. I mean the things one does to stick with Sonos!!! hahahahaha

Back to the drawing board I guess
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 18:31 (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 18:44 by bbrip.)
Why so locked into Sonos? I had Sonos a couple years ago (well, a couple of their boxes are still sitting in my cellar colleting dust) but I felt they sound pretty vulgar...
17-06-2014, 14:26
^ Ok. Care sharing what you switch to?
17-06-2014, 19:33
Linn :-) Great streamers, lousy control points Big Grin
18-06-2014, 00:03
LOL. hahaha Exactly
18-06-2014, 18:06
(17-06-2014 19:33)bbrip Wrote:  Linn :-) Great streamers, lousy control points Big Grin

What, specifically, is it about Kinsky (or Kazoo) that makes you describe them as 'lousy'? That's strong criticism; it would be interesting if you could unpack it.

I am on record that I much prefer Bubble DS to both Kinsky and Kazoo, for specific reasons. But that does not make the Linn apps 'lousy' in my opinion. As I see it, they get the basics pretty much right; they are standards-compliant (at least to the extent that they work with the MinimServer browse tree without messing with it), reliable and reasonably easy to learn. They are also multi-platform (which the Lumin app and Bubble, to name but two, are not). Yes, the feature set is limited, and the user interface, though perfectly usable, is a bit uninspired. If they were all I had as control points, I'd still use them in preference to iTunes or Windows Media Player for selecting my music.

How would your views differ from these?

David
18-06-2014, 19:54 (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 19:54 by simoncn.)
(18-06-2014 18:06)DavidHB Wrote:  What, specifically, is it about Kinsky (or Kazoo) that makes you describe them as 'lousy'? That's strong criticism; it would be interesting if you could unpack it.

I am on record that I much prefer Bubble DS to both Kinsky and Kazoo, for specific reasons. But that does not make the Linn apps 'lousy' in my opinion. As I see it, they get the basics pretty much right; they are standards-compliant (at least to the extent that they work with the MinimServer browse tree without messing with it), reliable and reasonably easy to learn. They are also multi-platform (which the Lumin app and Bubble, to name but two, are not). Yes, the feature set is limited, and the user interface, though perfectly usable, is a bit uninspired. If they were all I had as control points, I'd still use them in preference to iTunes or Windows Media Player for selecting my music.

David

+1 to all these comments. In particular, I find the Windows version of Kinsky to be far ahead of the competition on that platform.
18-06-2014, 23:39 (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 23:40 by wappinghigh.)
(17-06-2014 19:33)bbrip Wrote:  Linn :-) Great streamers, lousy control points Big Grin

(18-06-2014 18:06)DavidHB Wrote:  

What, specifically, is it about Kinsky (or Kazoo) that makes you describe them as 'lousy'? That's strong criticism; it would be interesting if you could unpack it.

David

Well Kinsky has next to no popular music streamers for starters. No Multichannel support. And no DSD support. Those three reasons alone are enough to prevent me from using it. And I have a Linn DS streamer....

Linn Simply fails to spend big on developing the true capabilities of this software..
19-06-2014, 01:12
(18-06-2014 23:39)wappinghigh Wrote:  Well Kinsky has next to no popular music streamers for starters. No Multichannel support. And no DSD support. Those three reasons alone are enough to prevent me from using it. And I have a Linn DS streamer....

I'd regard these as additions to core functionality; their absence is, I suppose, part of the "restricted feature set" point I made in my previous post.

None of these issues would be deal-breakers for me, but I have no idea how representative your and my differing views are of the real state of the marketplace. Linn presumably have to have some kind of informed view, or they wouldn't still be in business.

They have been clear about why they do not provide DSD support; obviously, you disagree with their view. As regards the lack of music streamers, I confess to both limited interest and limited knowledge, but would have thought that Linn see Songcast as their software link from external services to a Linn player. After an earlier foray into multi-channel media, they seem to have stepped back from providing that capability (apart from the HDMI pass-through they now fit to their DSMs). I am not qualified to judge whether these were wise marketing decisions, but they do seem to have been the product of conscious thought.

Those of us who use Linn products have to accept that they are, in some respects, a rather weird company with, on occasion, some seemingly crazy ideas. The really annoying thing is that they often carry off those crazy ideas rather well ...

Quote:Linn Simply fails to spend big on developing the true capabilities of this software..

Again, we cannot expect any company to 'spend big' on products or features for which they do not see a profitable market. Software, for the likes of Linn, Naim and Lumin is a free add-on to their hardware; software features presumably will not be developed unless they provide essential capabilities or give the hardware a competitive edge.

I'd guess that, for Linn, 'spending big' is measured not so much in money as in the time and effort of very scarce skilled programmers. In that regard, Linn do seem to have made their commitment to a big spend, in the development of Kazoo (CP and server). That decision indicates that their priorities for software development are not the same as either yours or mine. But does it make their CP applications 'lousy'? Not in my book.

David
19-06-2014, 05:26
(18-06-2014 23:39)wappinghigh Wrote:  Well Kinsky has next to no popular music streamers for starters. No Multichannel support. And no DSD support. Those three reasons alone are enough to prevent me from using it. And I have a Linn DS streamer....

Multichannel and DSD are server features, not control point features. If you use Kinsky with MinimServer, both of these are supported.