Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
19-06-2014, 10:26 (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 10:40 by DavidHB.)
RE: Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
(19-06-2014 05:26)simoncn Wrote:  Multichannel and DSD are server features, not control point features. If you use Kinsky with MinimServer, both of these are supported.

Thanks, Simon. You live and learn. Will Kazoo Server support MultiChannel, I wonder? I'd guess that, in Linn land, DSD (like wireless networking and USB connections) is a no-no.

The general point here (which also comes back to the OP's concerns about Sonos) is that, when the software is a function of the hardware (and provided for free), we should expect its design and feature set to be driven by the marketing of the hardware, rather than by a separate, 'ideal' software design concept. The limitations of such software should, therefore, not surprise us. Software writers like Bubbleguuum have to provide extra features (and, if possible, better design) to persuade us to part with our money. When they do this, we prefer their products.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2014, 12:52
(19-06-2014 10:26)DavidHB Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 05:26)simoncn Wrote:  Multichannel and DSD are server features, not control point features. If you use Kinsky with MinimServer, both of these are supported.

Thanks, Simon. You live and learn. Will Kazoo Server support MultiChannel, I wonder? I'd guess that, in Linn land, DSD (like wireless networking and USB connections) is a no-no.

The general point here (which also comes back to the OP's concerns about Sonos) is that, when the software is a function of the hardware (and provided for free), we should expect its design and feature set to be driven by the marketing of the hardware, rather than by a separate, 'ideal' software design concept. The limitations of such software should, therefore, not surprise us. Software writers like Bubbleguuum have to provide extra features (and, if possible, better design) to persuade us to part with our money. When they do this, we prefer their products.

David
Sure.... but I disagree Linn has done this well...

They have neglected the software side (at the expense of the hardware) IMHO

My experience is it;s ALL about the software...

As users of this fantastic MinimServer and MinimStreamer would testify I'm sure.. Smile
19-06-2014, 12:57
(19-06-2014 05:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 23:39)wappinghigh Wrote:  Well Kinsky has next to no popular music streamers for starters. No Multichannel support. And no DSD support. Those three reasons alone are enough to prevent me from using it. And I have a Linn DS streamer....

Multichannel and DSD are server features, not control point features. If you use Kinsky with MinimServer, both of these are supported.

Maybe in theory, but not in very well in practice in my hands... Smile
19-06-2014, 18:43
(19-06-2014 12:57)wappinghigh Wrote:  Maybe in theory, but not in very well in practice in my hands... Smile

Kinsky prefers to play to an OpenHome renderer. You could try the approach suggested in this post.
19-06-2014, 23:00
(19-06-2014 12:52)wappinghigh Wrote:  I disagree Linn has done this well...

For 'well' to make sense, we have to have a reasonable understanding of what Linn (or any other company we consider) is trying to do, and a factual basis for saying they have or haven't done it. As I've already said, I suspect that you, Linn and I are all in different places on that issue. And what will say that any company has or has not done 'well' is their sales and profitability. If, in the course of doing well, they do not make what we want, that is a disappointment, but not necessarily grounds for criticism.

Actually, I did not say that Linn have done 'well' with Kinsky/Kazoo. What I said was that those applications got the basics more or less right, and I said what I meant by that. But there are still control points that meet my needs better than Kinsky or Kazoo, so my praise is somewhat muted.

Quote:They have neglected the software side (at the expense of the hardware) IMHO

Again, what do you mean by 'neglect'? Is all the work they are putting into Kazoo 'neglect'? It may not be giving you or me what we ideally want from a control point, but that is another question.

Quote:My experience is it;s ALL about the software...

So I could have saved all that money I spent on an Akurate DSM and just downloaded Bubble DS? ... Smile

David
21-06-2014, 06:00 (This post was last modified: 21-06-2014 06:03 by wappinghigh.)
Back to the topic.

The problem still remains MinimServer can't be "seen" as a UPnP share within the Sonos GUI..

So even if one could get transcoding on the fly out via MinimStreamer.. how does a user play the transcoded file within Sonos?
21-06-2014, 10:12 (This post was last modified: 21-06-2014 10:14 by wappinghigh.)
I am so utterly totally utterly fed up with this..

FED UP

I blame Sonos entirely. Those guys will never change.. so I need a work around...

That doesn't involve Bubble UPNP (because I can;t get that transcoding)

Anyway I want to use MinimServer transcoding!!!

And I want to transcode 24 AIFF into 16 bit..

And NO I don't want to use dbpower amp.. I want to use MinimServer, because I want to do it on the fly..

I don't want to file double up my MinimServer library!!!

And I want Sonos to see these transcoded files within the Sonos GUI!!

mwhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaa
21-06-2014, 15:31
^ Forget it.

I've batch converted them using JRiver Smile