Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
14-06-2014, 01:57 (This post was last modified: 14-06-2014 02:03 by wappinghigh.)
Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
Simon, over here http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=7951 on the Sonos forums (way back in 2007!!!), I started a thread that has become the most viewed and replied thread on the entire "sound ideas" ie requested feature on their forum..

Don't read it all, suffice to say I have been trying to get Sonos to come clean..

It seems they will never support 24bit streaming..

But this is where MinimStreamer transcoding just might be able to help out right?

Can you please follow this thread (I have recently re-opened it) and pipe in to try and make this happen. And once we can see our MinimServer UPnP sharepoints *within* the Sonos GUI: perhaps post some transcoding setting examples (for how we might set this up in MinimStreamer to finally be able to play all our files within Sonos).. That would be awesome Simon!

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2014, 08:07
RE: Simon I just wish Sonos would co-operate!
Just a little side speaking: In the town where I live (Ansbach in Germany) we have a small coffee shop named "Green & Bean", the owner was German Barista champion (and european's second best, I think). They have installed a Sonos sound system inside the shop a few months ago and since then I pray for good weather every day so I can drink my coffee outside.
14-06-2014, 08:16
(14-06-2014 01:57)wappinghigh Wrote:  Simon, over here http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=7951 on the Sonos forums (way back in 2007!!!), I started a thread that has become the most viewed and replied thread on the entire "sound ideas" ie requested feature on their forum..

Don't read it all, suffice to say I have been trying to get Sonos to come clean..

It seems they will never support 24bit streaming..

But this is where MinimStreamer transcoding just might be able to help out right?

Can you please follow this thread (I have recently re-opened it) and pipe in to try and make this happen. And once we can see our MinimServer UPnP sharepoints *within* the Sonos GUI: perhaps post some transcoding setting examples (for how we might set this up in MinimStreamer to finally be able to play all our files within Sonos).. That would be awesome Simon!

Thanks

Have you tried the BubbleUPnP solution suggested in this post?
15-06-2014, 02:13
Yep. I am prepared to give this a try.

All my 16 *and* 24 bit files are in the AIFF format
All my stereo DSD are in dsf

What Input and output settings for transcoding do I put into stream.transcode to make this work?

Thanks
15-06-2014, 09:06 (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 09:07 by simoncn.)
(15-06-2014 02:13)wappinghigh Wrote:  Yep. I am prepared to give this a try.

What Input and output settings for transcoding do I put into stream.transcode to make this work?

Thanks

If you are using BubbleUPnP Server (not the same as the BubbleUPnP control point), you don't need any transcoding settings in MinimStreamer. The transcoding to LPCM 16/44.1 will be done by BubbleUPnP Server.
15-06-2014, 09:33 (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 09:33 by wappinghigh.)
(15-06-2014 09:06)simoncn Wrote:  

Thanks

If you are using BubbleUPnP Server (not the same as the BubbleUPnP control point), you don't need any transcoding settings in MinimStreamer. The transcoding to LPCM 16/44.1 will be done by BubbleUPnP Server.

Cool. I'll investigate how to set this up.. It can run together with MinimServer on a QNAP right?
15-06-2014, 11:56

Thanks

Not sure about Bubble UPNP transcoding, but it is very easy to set up transcoding in Minimserver. I am using Bubble UPNP to play transcoded 24 bit files via my Sonos.

You asked about settings - excuse me if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs here, but ... You need Minimserver, Minimstreamer and Minimwatch installed.

Right click on the Minimwatch icon and select 'Properties'
Then select the 'System' tab
The bottom window of this tab is called stream.transcode
Type: FLAC:wav16
Hit 'Apply'
Rescan the music library

If you want to transcode other filetypes, then use the same format, separating each bit with commas. For example, I have:

FLAC:wav16, AAC:wav16, mp3:wav16

Hope that is of some help.
15-06-2014, 12:32
(15-06-2014 09:33)wappinghigh Wrote:  Cool. I'll investigate how to set this up.. It can run together with MinimServer on a QNAP right?

There is a QPKG version for the QNAP. See this page for details.
15-06-2014, 13:39 (This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 13:41 by wappinghigh.)
(15-06-2014 11:56)gnomus Wrote:  

Thanks

Not sure about Bubble UPNP transcoding, but it is very easy to set up transcoding in Minimserver. I am using Bubble UPNP to play transcoded 24 bit files via my Sonos.

You asked about settings - excuse me if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs here, but ... You need Minimserver, Minimstreamer and Minimwatch installed.

Hit 'Apply'
Rescan the music library

If you want to transcode other filetypes, then use the same format, separating each bit with commas. For example, I have:

Yes it does. Well understood. But there is no AIFF:wav16 option in MinimStreamer right? I mean obviously I'd use MinimStreamer as the first option if I could ...
15-06-2014, 14:11
(15-06-2014 13:39)wappinghigh Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 11:56)gnomus Wrote:  

Thanks

Hit 'Apply'
Rescan the music library

Yes it does. Well understood. But there is no AIFF:wav16 option in MinimStreamer right? I mean obviously I'd use MinimStreamer as the first option if I could ...

I don't know if Minimstreamer can transcode AIFF (I think not). But if you are keen to use Minimstreamer, why not batch convert all of your AIFF files? I assume that the Batch Converter in dBpoweramp can do this. I've made a copy of my FLAC library converted to MP3 for in-car use. It did, however, take 2 days to convert my 1600+ albums!