Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minim Server does not start on OSX - 10.7.5
24-09-2012, 13:18
RE: Minim Server does not start on OSX - 10.7.5
Hi Simon,

I did some further tests and found out two interesting issues:
1.) Crash
I had also disabled the two network adapters that came with Parallels, but without success.
I had recently also installed an app to connect a VPN Server automatically. Guess what, since I stoped that app, MinimServer was able to start again! So, I think it might be related to this network settings rather than Parallels. For your testing, I will upload the app to your FTP server (Akolbe-HiDrive.pkg).
This might be the reason why you didn't get more support calls from other users.

2.) Startup issue (Properties not showing)
This is even more interesting: I found out that it makes a difference whether you select an entry in the directory list or not. When the "double folder issue" appeared, I had moved to the "Musik" directory I wanted and then pressed "OK" without marking any particular item.
I have now avoided this issue by marking the "Musik" directory and then press "OK". This means, I see the parent directory, mark "Musik" and press "OK".
Maybe you can enhance your input verification for directories so that this error doesn't appear?

Best regards,
Andreas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 14:45
(24-09-2012 13:18)akolbe Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I did some further tests and found out two interesting issues:
1.) Crash
I had also disabled the two network adapters that came with Parallels, but without success.
I had recently also installed an app to connect a VPN Server automatically. Guess what, since I stoped that app, MinimServer was able to start again! So, I think it might be related to this network settings rather than Parallels. For your testing, I will upload the app to your FTP server (Akolbe-HiDrive.pkg).
This might be the reason why you didn't get more support calls from other users.

Thanks for this information. I'll try to reproduce the problem by running this app.

Quote:2.) Startup issue (Properties not showing)
This is even more interesting: I found out that it makes a difference whether you select an entry in the directory list or not. When the "double folder issue" appeared, I had moved to the "Musik" directory I wanted and then pressed "OK" without marking any particular item.
I have now avoided this issue by marking the "Musik" directory and then press "OK". This means, I see the parent directory, mark "Musik" and press "OK".
Maybe you can enhance your input verification for directories so that this error doesn't appear?

I've tried this. The "double folder" issue appears to be a Java bug on Mac OS X. MinimServer is using a JFileChooser dialog with a DIRECTORIES_ONLY selection mode, and it shouldn't be possible for this dialog to return a value that isn't a directory. On Windows, this works correctly. On Mac OS X, if you double-click on the Musik folder, you'll get a dialog for the contents of the Musik folder, and "Musik" will also be selected in the "File:" entry field. If you don't notice this extra "Musik" value and press "Select", the JFileChooser will return a nonexistent directory name, which is a bug in JFileChooser.

When this happens, MinimServer detects the incorrect folder name and displays a red icon with an error message. From the red icon, you can choose "Properties" and edit the contentDir field to provide the correct value. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you reported with being unable to display the "Properties" dialog.

It would be possible for MinimServer to redisplay the JFileChooser dialog instead of producing the red icon. Unfortunately, this wouldn't allow an error message to be displayed, so the user might not understand what was wrong with the previous entry. Given that this problem is caused by a Java bug, and it's easy to correct it by using the Properties dialog, I think the current behaviour is reasonable.

Are you able to reproduce the problem with "Properties" not being selectable from the red icon?
24-09-2012, 15:08
Are you able to reproduce the problem with "Properties" not being selectable from the red icon?

> Yes, it is re-producable. I assume it will only appear if you have a "blank" install, i.e. without any entry in the config file. If you have a valid entry in the field once, it doesn't re-occur. So, I would suggest you need to delete the config-file, or the whole MinimServer dirctory in the Library-folder. Then, if you proceed as I described (go to the directory but don't mark anything), you should get the error message. Afterwards, you cannot access the Properties dialogue any longer.

I would suggest that the error message is ok but you should be able to access the Properties dialogue, of course. Maybe a small hint in the manual would help to explain this bug in this OS X specific Java implementation.

However, once it works, it still is the best Music Server for OS X!!!
24-09-2012, 16:41
(24-09-2012 15:08)akolbe Wrote:  Yes, it is re-producable. I assume it will only appear if you have a "blank" install, i.e. without any entry in the config file. If you have a valid entry in the field once, it doesn't re-occur. So, I would suggest you need to delete the config-file, or the whole MinimServer dirctory in the Library-folder. Then, if you proceed as I described (go to the directory but don't mark anything), you should get the error message. Afterwards, you cannot access the Properties dialogue any longer.

I would suggest that the error message is ok but you should be able to access the Properties dialogue, of course. Maybe a small hint in the manual would help to explain this bug in this OS X specific Java implementation.

I've found what's causing this problem with Properties. It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for reporting this.

I also found that the Select Content Directory dialog works correctly if you single-click the folder name that you want and then press Select. It only fails if you double-click the folder name and then press Select.

I'll add a note to the installation page telling people they should single-click the folder name instead of double-clicking.

Quote:However, once it works, it still is the best Music Server for OS X!!!

Thanks very much!
24-09-2012, 16:45
That is very good news.

You have re-produced the situation I was trying to explain. It is hard to describe for me... as a native German...

All the best,
Andreas.
24-09-2012, 16:55
(24-09-2012 16:41)simoncn Wrote:  I also found that the Select Content Directory dialog works correctly if you single-click the folder name that you want and then press Select. It only fails if you double-click the folder name and then press Select.

I'll add a note to the installation page telling people they should single-click the folder name instead of double-clicking.

With a bit of web searching, I've found a way to change the code in MinimServer to stop the "File:" entry field appearing in the dialog. This will prevent the user from accidentally entering the wrong path. This fix will be in the next release.
27-09-2012, 10:47
(24-09-2012 14:45)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this information. I'll try to reproduce the problem by running this app.

I've installed the app and launched it. It's showing a login screen and asking me to enter a userid and password. What values should I enter here? If I don't enter any values, or if I enter some dummy values, I'm unable to reproduce the problem with MinimServer crashing.
27-09-2012, 10:59
(27-09-2012 10:47)simoncn Wrote:  I've installed the app and launched it. It's showing a login screen and asking me to enter a userid and password. What values should I enter here? If I don't enter any values, or if I enter some dummy values, I'm unable to reproduce the problem with MinimServer crashing.

I did a bit more investigation. I could sign up for a free account, but that doesn't include the VPN connection. I'd need to use WebDAV instead. Would the MinimServer crash show up with a WebDAV connection?
28-09-2012, 12:53
This is a good question. I have installed it with the SMB over VPN connection for speed reasons. I hope it shouldn't make a difference.

By the way: Since I overcame the setup problems with the "double folder issue", MinimServer is running smooth on my machine. I have, in the meantime, left off the HiDrive app. I will start to connect it from today on to see whether the issues will re-appear.

Thanks again for your investigations - in both problems!
Andreas.